Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Any Motolite to Mojo Converts OutThere?

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  derby 
#1 ·
Has anyone had a Motolite (Horst-link) and converted to the Mojo (DW-link)? I currently have a Motolite and am very happy with it, but I'm also drawn to the Mojo. As background, as a second bike, I have a 1st gen DW on an 2003.5 IH Hollowpoint. It is ok, but that's about it. I understand that the newest DW is leaps/bounds better than it's first (maybe rushed to production) incarnation. BTW, my Motolite currently weighs 24.7 lbs for everyday trail riding on rooty/very rocky terrain. Where I ride... mostly technical, not much smooth at all. Total bike weight would be about the same, so bottom line... does the DW work better (in the conditions detailed above) than the Horst-link and why? Thanks a bunch! :thumbsup:

#2 · (Edited)
From a different creature

jceahodges said:
Has anyone had a Motolite (Horst-link) and converted to the Mojo (DW-link)? I currently have a Motolite and am very happy with it, but I'm also drawn to the Mojo. As background, as a second bike, I have a 1st gen DW on an 2003.5 IH Hollowpoint. It is ok, but that's about it. I understand that the newest DW is leaps/bounds better than it's first (maybe rushed to production) incarnation. BTW, my Motolite currently weighs 24.7 lbs for everyday trail riding on rooty/very rocky terrain. Where I ride... mostly technical, not much smooth at all. Total bike weight would be about the same, so bottom line... does the DW work better (in the conditions detailed above) than the Horst-link and why? Thanks a bunch! :thumbsup:
I come from a 5-spot, that is quite a different creature then a Motolite even if they are both Horsts. The Mojo works better then the 5-spot both downhill and uphill. My experience with Titus is only with a Racer-X 80mm, and a Switchblade 4.5". In acceleration the Mojo reminds me of the Racer-X: it works so well that I can now use much more powerful leg downstrokes and the bike just moves forward, it is incredibly efficient. But of course it has 5.5" and especially now that I have installed a large volume RP23 chamber, it just swallows up anyting: small bumps or big or repeated stutter clutter. The Switchblade I tried about 3+ years ago was of course plusher then the Racer-X but still does not come close to the exceptionall all-around performance of the Mojo.

I would not think that a Motolite would be much different then a Switchblade, and so the Mojo should ride better. How much? and especially is it worth the money :???: I don't know. For me it was worth every penny: I have been bizzarely picky about bikes but every time I go out with the Mojo I come back with a big smile ... and I have not "learned the bike" yet. I still have not found a problem with it and at this ponint I don't think I will ...

#4 ·
While looking for the best longer travel bike that had no compromises from my Tracer, I demoed the Motolite among many others in the 5 – 6.6 travel range. I was very impressed with the Motolight’s snappy acceleration, and very good bump absorbing rear suspension, and being no heavier than the Tracer. But I had modified my Tracer to 4.5 inch travel with the Uzzi link and found there was little difference in performance to what I already had, in fact the Tracer/Uzzi (Trazzi?) had a little bit better rear braking traction. So my quest continued noting that the Motolite qualified as one of the top 5 bikes available with about 5 inch travel.

I had demoed the Hollowpoint when it first came out (DW actually set up the proper sag for me at the Sea Otter expo). I was very impressed with the pedaling, being better than anything with that much travel. But I didn’t like the frame geometry, the seat tube angle was too slack for my home climbing needs. My Tracer handled and braked much better, and pedaled very well with almost as little bob and feedback as the Hollowpoint.

The Mkiii pedals about the same as the Hollowpoint, ultra smooth and efficiently. But the braking traction is much improved enhancing the handling modulation and straight line braking power. The seat tube is steeper for easy climbing power. But the steering is a bit steep for very rough technical and higher speed technical. Running a size larger than normal with a shorter stem might be the cure, but I already fit the largest size. The productioin ’07 Mkiii’s are tricking out now and it sounds like there is very little geometry change nor much bare frame weight reduction, although the parts spec is much improved. Other than the near extra pound of frame weight the ’07 Mkiii is as good performing as my Tracer/Uzzi and pedals even better.

I test rode many VPP’s, the 575, MotoLite, I-Drive, Wolf-Ridge, 5-Spot, Id, and others, but was always more happy returning to my Tracer.

I saw the Mojo a year ago at the Sea Otter expo in April and it was spectacular. So soon after I took a chance and ordered a Mojo Carbon because the specs were better than the Tracer in every way. And it proved to be true. I’ve had the Mojo since last August and have zero regrets, and a deepening appreciation every ride. The Mojo has the most current dw-Link design, it’s over 1 pound lighter than the ’07 Mkiii with the same shock, and ½ pound lighter than the Azure, has more travel, has better handling. There is no compromise in performance for an XC/AM bike. And it looks much better in person than pictures ever show.

The Mojo Carbon is a standout better ride than the Motolite and every other bike in the XC/AM class. Only the Nomad is better for more extreme AM use due to slacker handling geometry and the higher pedal clearance Putting a 36mm stansion 160mm travel fork on the Mojo would then surpass the Nomad in performance too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.