mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Any Mojo SL Owners Running 650B Derby Rims?

Emailed Derby and he said there's at least one Mojo SL owner here running 650B Derby rims.

Anxious to hear what tire combos have worked. Close to pulling the trigger on some 650B wheels, and looking to see how they've been working out for those that have them.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Ask doismellbacon, I think he has derby rims with mavic tires and loves his setup.
    I run NN 2.35 front and xking 2.2 rear, work well for my style on SoCal dirt. Stan crest wheel tho.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Does anyone know if the mavic roam tire that comes with the enduro wheels will clear the rear triangle?

mtbr member
    I've used Maxxis Crossmarks, Neo Moto 2.1 & 2.3, Nevegal 2.1, Racing Ralph snakeskin, and Mavic CrossRoc Roam 2.25 on a Flow rim, and the same Mavic tire also on the Derby. The Mavic is my favorite of all these and the best by a sizable margin for rough rocky conditions, but the Derby volume boost deserves some of the credit. Casing volume is very similar to the Nev 2.1, maybe a hair smaller than a Neo & RaRa, and a hair bigger than a Crossmark, but they have more prominent shoulder lugs that WILL pick up gravel and score your rear tri. That will happen to some degree with any of these, but more with the Mavic. It's a pretty small tire on a skinny alu wheel, especially the 19mm Mavic rims....they're really bucking the trend on that.... but the Derby rim gives it enough volume for me to run 22-24 psi where 28 was the low limit for me on the biggest of the other tires.
    Any Mojo SL Owners Running 650B Derby Rims?-2013-11-03-i-heart-mojo-derby.jpg

Judging by the small difference in tire shape & clearance comparing the same Mavic tire on both rim types, I think any of the 650b tires that are known to have clearance on a narrow rim will also work on the Derby unless the shoulder lugs are already within a mm or two, then it may be a problem. I'm extrapolating here because I haven't mounted any of those other tires on the Derby....the Mavic was the first one I tried and it was so much better in nearly every way that I've never taken it off. Its fit didn't change very much on the two different rims. The Derby rims buy you a lot of volume that you can't get on this bike by just going to a fatter tire. The tire grows down around the bead without changing the tread shape very much. A RaRa might be a little close at the shoulders, but that tire sucks anyway AFAIK... I'd take the Crossmark over it for smooth XC and it will have plenty of clearance. The Neo 2.3 might be too close too, but can you even get those anywhere right now?

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by doismellbacon View Post
    I've used Maxxis Crossmarks, Neo Moto 2.1 & 2.3, Nevegal 2.1, Racing Ralph snakeskin, and Mavic CrossRoc Roam 2.25 on a Flow rim, and the same Mavic tire also on the Derby.
    Thank you for the response!

mtbr member

Been on the fence about converting my SL to 650b for a while (what rims to get, what tires will fit well given the Bay Area conditions, etc - paralysis analysis). Might just have order a set of derby rims and go for it...

mtbr member
    The Derby's have extended the service life of this bike for me once again (as did 650b in the first place, a longer fork for slacker angles, and thru axles front and rear for more stiffness). The wide rim is key to getting high volume in the rear tire without running into clearance issues.
    I would strongly recommend trying out a set of offset bushings w/ more travel limit spacers in the shock... The lower bb is really nice, and while you give up a little travel you can reduce the shock's air volume for more ramp up and it works really well.... maybe not an improvement in DH, but for all around aggressive trail shredding it's my preferred setup...much better in tech climbing.

mtbr member

Thanks for the suggestions. Sounds like I should make those mods for sure when I get the new wheels built. Are the offset bushings easy to find/install? I'm somewhat mechanically competent, but am thinking of having the fork/shock serviced at my lbs and just have them do the travel limit spacers (how many with the bushings?) as well as the bushings as long as it is in for service.

mtbr member
    I have a new set of Burgtec bushings that I haven't installed yet.
    Burgtec Titanium Offset Shock Hardware | Burgtec
    They seem to be the quality leader, and they've got the right kit for your bike right on the site.
    The set I have been using was bought off of Ebay from a seller in Poland, and they were fine, but being made from Alu vs the Burgtec Ti they started wearing and developed a little slop fairly quickly that I'm hoping to avoid with the Burgtecs.
    I think the amount of travel spacers is best determined by trial and error if you want to maximize your travel while insuring you don't get seat tube contact. For my bike I run about 3-4mm spacers without the offset bushings, and honestly I don't remember exactly how much with the bushings, but I think it was in the 8mm range total. It's really easy to do....get some thin nylon washers with a 3/8" ID (for a Fox shock, anyway) from a hardware store, clip a slot in them with wire snips, depressurize the shock, unscrew the air can by hand (don't even need to take it off the bike), and snap the washers onto the shaft until you have enough to avoid seat tube contact. You can snap a fox volume reduction spacer in there at the same time.... I used the medium of the 3 that come in the kit and that seemed pretty ideal.
    I used to get a lot of buzzing at full compression, but it was just the tire contacting the FD cable....now that I'm running 1x I've been able to squeeze a little more travel out of it without the frightening but harmless sound of tire buzzing cable.