Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    The Other Dude

Any Mojo Guys come from Specialized?

Ok, so I have been pretty much sold on Specialized since i started mountain biking. Their bikes, shops and service has been great to me since I got into the sport. And I do have to say their Enduro (NOT SL, Regular Enduro) line of bikes have been my favorite, i love the Fox 36/DHX air combo for the suspension.

The Ibis Mojo has really been catching my attention lately, i have yet to see one in person, and i have never even seen an Ibis bike in person here in Southwestern PA, but it sounds like a great bike for the conditions that we have here, and i am thinking that if i like the my enduro for riding here, I might like the Mojo even better.....possibly with a DHX rear shock and new Talas 140 or Fox 36 Talas RC2 on the front?

Have any of you guys come from Specialized bikes? And if so, what is your comparasion? I have quite a few specialized bikes now, but i am getting married in a month, so if i am going to drop some $$ on a bike, i better do it soon, lol, before she moves in lol......."Uhhh....ive had that bike for a few years now honey, i just havent ridden it that much"........lol!

How are the warranties and customer service from Ibis? I havent seen an Ibis shop in my area, is that something i should be concerned about?

Any info would be helpful........a nice new, carbon, green, or blue Mojo would look pretty sweet out on the trails.....
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net

mtbr member
    Have both the carbon epic and the mojo. I grab the mojo every time. I have got the mojo down to 24.2 pounds with a nice reliable parts build. Would be fairly east to get in the 23lb range also. The difference is I can ride the mojo all day long with 5.5 inches of travel (super plush I might add) and it pedals just as nice as the epic. I leave the propedal on the rp23 off most of the time. The epic is just always harsh at the back end and that's with the trail tune set to the softest setting.

Plus the mojo is just beautiful. It's a piece of art IMO.
    www.MtbTi.com "Titanium bolt kits for your bike"

flow where ever you go

no worries, ride more and work less

Quote Originally Posted by jut8

How are the warranties and customer service from Ibis? I havent seen an Ibis shop in my area, is that something i should be concerned about?

Any info would be helpful........a nice new, carbon, green, or blue Mojo would look pretty sweet out on the trails.....
    Ibis answers email (promptly most of the time). Ibis watches the Ibis topic board here at mtbr and answers questions. Ibis makes it clear they want their customers happy and I've seen nothing but great feedback about how well and how quickly they respond to customers.

No need for a local shop.

All maintenance is way easy for you or any shop to do. The replacement bearings are cheap, quickly available straight from Ibis in the mail, and quick and easy to replace (though I don't know of anyone but me that has had to do that).

For warranty work, it seems clear that Ibis will find a way to help you out in a speedy way with or without a local dealer.

below, I cut and paste the warranty from ibiscylces.com :

Warranty

Limited Warranty
    Ibis Cycles warrants Ibis frames to be free from defects in materials and workmanship for a period of 3 years from date of sale. This limited warranty applies to the original owner and is nontransferable. Ibis will, at its sole discretion, repair or replace any frame or component that it determines to be defective.

This warranty does not cover normal wear and tear, nor does it apply to damage that is the result of abuse, neglect, improper assembly, improper maintenance, alteration, misuse or massive hucking. The costs of disassembly, reassembly or repair of any attached components are not covered by this warranty and are the responsibility of the original owner. Under no circumstance are the costs of shipping to or from Ibis covered by this limited warranty.

This warranty applies exclusively to Ibis bicycles manufactured after July 1, 2005

No Fault Replacement
    Should your Ibis be involved in a crash or other non-warranty situation, Ibis Cycles will make replacement parts available at a minimum charge to the original owner. Ibis Cycles does this at its sole discretion and reserves the right to refuse this offer, so don't go crashing your bike on purpose. We already know that one.

Unless otherwise provided, the sole remedy under the above warranty, or any implied warranty, is limited to the replacement of defective parts with those of equal or greater value at the sole discretion of Ibis Cycles. In no event shall Ibis Cycles be held responsible for direct, incidental or consequential damages, including, without limitation, damages for personal injury, property damage, or economic losses, whether based on contract, warranty, negligence, product liability, or any other theory. Okay. Good!

And remember; Ride More, Work Less!

"I must not be crazy because I'm seriously questioning my sanity"

The Other Dude
    Did you guys buy yours online, or did you have a local dealer? Most of the work on my bikes i do myself, my Epic was built buy the shop, but i did my Enduro and SX Trail myself, so i am thinking about going with a frame only, and building the bike up, i run a large frame on all my Specialized bikes, so I am guessing i should stick with a large.

I am what about forks? Fox 36, or a 140mm Talas?
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net

holding back the darkness
    I came from a Specialized Stumpjumper FSR.
    The mojo is unbelievable. Get one. Just do it.
    Or you can try the angle I worked:
    I sold my stumpy and used the cash to pad the fund that I used to purchase my fiance's engagement ring. Soon, she noticed the bikes absence and put two and two together that I had sold my prized possession to buy an everlasting token of my love.
    Result: Instant brownie point overload, free game= I amassed the domestic capital necessary to spend incredible sums of money on my dreambike without reprecussions.I got the girl, and the mojo.
    **** censorship

mtbr member
    Bought the frame from an authorized dealer for the warranty. Then just built it from scratch. I went with the fox 140mm rlc. I had a talas and never used the adjustment. My mojo climbs great and it's just another adjustment. If I remember jut8 that was one of your complaints on the new spec enduro. Too many adjustments. The rlc is lightweight and mates with the mojo perfectly. To me this bike does it all except downhill, black diamond stuff. It's not as burly as a nomad but I would give up the half inch of travel for a bike that weighs 6-10 pounds less than the nomad any day. It seems the average weight of the nomad is 31-35 pounds and the mojo is 23-26 pounds. Going from a 23.5 pound carbon epic to this bike was a seamless transition. You will love it.

The Other Dude
    Yup, you know me, i just like to ride, i hate having to turn switches while i ride, thats why i like the epic so much, i am thinking a Mojo might be in my future. Will the dealers ship me a frame, or are they like specialized where you have to go to the shop. I checked, and the closest dealer is quite a ways away from me.

holding back the darkness
    AND I forgot to mention that in my experience with Ibis in terms of customer service has been extraordinary. I had a minor issue, sent them an email, and within hours Scot Nicol himself had replied to me and got the ball rolling. By that afternoon a solution to my problem had been found and I was once again a totally satisfied customer. I would put Ibis' CS up against ANY other bicycle company out there. If you have an issue you won't be talking with some random phone operator or email vomiter, you'll get the main 4 folks behind this product. Not to knock Specialized because I believe they also make a quality product, but their colossal size makes that kind of one-on-one service nearly impossible. Ibis kicks ass on all levels.
    **** censorship

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Had a 06 Epic Comp. was a good bike but i wanted to get into carbon & wanted something i could use almost anywhere. I just could not see myself buying a carbon epic$$$. My LBS mentioned the Mojo even though they sold both. They told me the Mojo was more suited for the way i like to ride. I waited till the frame came in. Just looking at it I was sold. The thought process into designing this frame was enough for me.
    Riding the Mojo made me feel even better cause i made the right choice! This bike is FANTASTIC! The Mojo makes me look good. I was never able to climb like I climb now, even considering i had an epic.
    Jut8. I read your whole ordeal with the new Spec shock. It took awile for Spec to contact you & solve the issue. The IBIS owners answer your emails directly & resolve all issues quickly.
    I sent in an issue with a $12 seat collar.Scott one of the owners of IBIS replied the same day & is sending me a new seat collar. WHAT company does this! IBIS is the best thing to happen to the bike Industry. Affordable Top level Frame & people who want you to ride more & work less. This is the best investment i have made.
    Back to my 06 Epic. I had this issue with my rear shock having accesive play. The bike was under warranty. My LBS sent in a request for the bush kit. They said i would have to cover the cost, & took a week to get them to reply. I love the equip they make & my wife has a 06 Stumpy. I'm thinking of selling & getting her a MOJO.

The Other Dude
    Has anyone here raced their Mojo in an XC race?

flow where ever you go
    Quote Originally Posted by jut8
    Has anyone here raced their Mojo in an XC race?
    Yes, I and others. I'm no racer, but it was obvious that on the more technical and steep up and downs, the bike gave me an advantage. On everything else, it depended more on who was the most fit.

Also saw a report of one being used in both downhill and 4x.

"I must not be crazy because I'm seriously questioning my sanity"

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

You Won't Look Back!

I have had 4 Specialized. Their great bikes,(Well 3 of them) I've had a 96 Stumpjumper, A 97 C3 FSR, A '98 S-works M2, and an '05 Enduro FSR. The C3 FSR was Specialized's last foray into Carbon, until the Epic Carbon a few years ago. The C3 was hot. I even picked up women with it. A bycycle to pick up women? Who knew that would happen!
    The C3 was recalled within two months because they were breaking at the head tube. They also had bushing problems. I waited four months to find out the bike was mothballed, and ended up with a hardtail to replace it, cause the freeride design took over, making the FSR's too heavy for my liking. I like to RIDE uphill, not use a chairlift!
    I was very hesitant to go back to Carbon, till Scot, Hans and Roxy got into it. I am now a Mojo Carbon owner and a very happy one too. I joined Ibis in early '98 with the purchase of a Bow-ti, then got a 99 Ti-mojo 6 months later. Was so happy to see them come back, I immediatly bought a Silk Carbon in early '06. I took the enduro back to buy the Mojo. Why have a bike I don't love!
    The Mojo Carbon is THE BEST bike I've ever ridden. The Bow-ti is a fantastic bike and it is more built for racing. It excells in precision where it lacks in long travel. the Mojo picks up where it left off. They both get along together fine(Unlike two girlfriends would) & are not jealous of eachother. The geometry of the Bow-ti makes it an awesome climbing bike. I was worried the Mojo wouldn't match it with the more laid back geometry, but that was quickly laid to rest. It climbs like a monkey on acid!
    I won't slam Specialized cause they are a good company and have excellent stuff, It's just that the Ibis Mojo Carbon is WAY better. I no longer dream of an Epic Carbon. nuff said!
    IBISROX!

The Other Dude
    So, you think its a good idea to keep my carbon epic for my XC racing, and get the Mojo to replace my s-works enduro?

The Road Warrior
    I was sold on a mojo until I rode one. Now I'm mojo a no go. The stumpy and santa cruz blur LT are better bikes, IMO.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I had a stumpy. Its a nice bike, but it is no comparison to the Mojo! if you read through this forum, everyone has compared to similar bikes that they owned & ridden for years.
    IMO the members in this forum are very good bike anaylists. I based alot of my purchase on what i have read in this forum.
    What do you base your opinion on? a parking lot test?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I'm ok with that! When I hammer your ass into the ground on the trails and you don't even see my dust cloud, you might think you made the wrong decision! You can have your cookie cutter bikes. I was the only guy with an Ibis for ten years up here and frankly, there is one less that I'll have to see. I was happy being the only guy with one, because I felt part of an exclusive club. Now I'm running into lots of members of the Ibisian Society of the Priveledged. I'm ok with that, but it is bittersweet. Kind of like those idiot golf nuts that didn't want new members cause the course is getting crowded.
    I've ridden both bikes and the Blur don't even compare to the Stumpy, and the Stumpy don't even compare to the mojo. The Stumpjumper Carbon is very sweet bike though.
    I'd grab one in a minute! If the Mojo didn't exhist!
    Having a Specialized Carbon bike that was RECALLED because they were snapping at the head tube does make me a little weary of any Specialized Carbon bikes!

mtbr member

Cookie cutter,I love it.

Quote Originally Posted by ibisrox
    I'm ok with that! When I hammer your ass into the ground on the trails and you don't even see my dust cloud, you might think you made the wrong decision! You can have your cookie cutter bikes. I was the only guy with an Ibis for ten years up here and frankly, there is one less that I'll have to see. I was happy being the only guy with one, because I felt part of an exclusive club. Now I'm running into lots of members of the Ibisian Society of the Priveledged. I'm ok with that, but it is bittersweet. Kind of like those idiot golf nuts that didn't want new members cause the course is getting crowded.
    I've ridden both bikes and the Blur don't even compare to the Stumpy, and the Stumpy don't even compare to the mojo. The Stumpjumper Carbon is very sweet bike though.
    I'd grab one in a minute! If the Mojo didn't exhist!
    Having a Specialized Carbon bike that was RECALLED because they were snapping at the head tube does make me a little weary of any Specialized Carbon bikes!
    I thought I was the only one who used that term.I hate hard core Specialized people(ok maybe not hate)rather I just don't get them.Jut8 I know nothing about you other than you seem to have a huge stable full of Specialized,If I could I'd buy this bike for you just to make another COOKIE CUTTER bike owner see the light.I myself don't own or ride a Ibis,but like I posted last night this is the only bike other than what I own and ride (Nicolai)that keeps me awake at night.However I've been in the world of custom snobby state of the art none cookie cutter bikes for at least 15 years,and it is a huge difference on this side of the fence.Jut8 "THE OTHER SIDE AWAIT'S YOU,COME MY CHILD COME. HaHa sorry long day.Jut8 do it,just fu@ken do it.And never ever look back.

Grams Light Bikes
    I rode a Epic for about a year, it was fast on smooth terrain but I really hated the Brain rear shock, just didn't like the way it reacted. Been on the Mojo for almost a year and couldn't be happier. I don't race so I can't comment on that topic, but for any terrain that I deal with here in the Colorado Rockies it is sweet.

The Road Warrior

Layin' down the SHOOSH!!!

Quote Originally Posted by scarsellone
    I had a stumpy. Its a nice bike, but it is no comparison to the Mojo! if you read through this forum, everyone has compared to similar bikes that they owned & ridden for years.
    IMO the members in this forum are very good bike anaylists. I based alot of my purchase on what i have read in this forum.
    What do you base your opinion on? a parking lot test?
    SHOOSH!!!
    I drove 2 hours to test ride a Mojo, specifically. I heard good things on this forum about the Mojo, talked to the company, and read every review and posting I could find. It SOUNDS like a great bike, sure. But I didn't like it. Me, Stumpjumper owners, Santa Cruz owners, Ventana owners, etc etc who have ridden a Mojo DIDN'T BUY a mojo because we HEARD they were good bikes. I'm advising the OP to test ride one instead of buying it blindly. Who are you supposed to be, the forum representative? Do you buy everything someone else says is good? I've got a whole lot of things you can buy, in that case.
    Last edited by LandSpeed; 06-06-2007 at 03:29 PM.

Mojo0115
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by LandSpeed
    SHOOSH!!!
    I drove 2 hours to test ride a Mojo, specifically. I heard good things on this forum about the Mojo, talked to the company, and read every review and posting I could find. It SOUNDS like a great bike, sure. But I didn't like it. Me, Stumpjumper owners, Santa Cruz owners, Ventana owners, etc etc who have ridden a Mojo DIDN'T BUY a mojo because we HEARD they were good bikes. I'm advising the OP to test ride one instead of buying it blindly. Who are you supposed to be, the forum representative? Do you buy everything someone else says is good? I've got a whole lot of things you can buy, in that case.
    I think you totally have to buy a bike that feels good for you. Great reviews, great looks or great word of mouth aren't wotrh anything if the bike just doesn't feel right to you.

I love my mojo and I purchased it on faith since when I got mine there was were none around to test ride - but I am totally happy with how the bike feels to me - but if it doesn't feel right to someone else they should for sure keep looking. (assuming they also know how to ensure the sizing and the suspension settings are correct of course).

The Other Dude
    I have been calling around to a few dealers, the closest is about 3 hours from me, but none seem to have any bike available for a test ride, it sounds like if i do order one, i will have to go by what you guys say, but i do think i will be happy with one. I see Cambriabike.com sells the frames also, am thinking about getting one with a DHX rear shock. Any suggestions on where to get frame? Does will i be able to find one under retail, or should i pretty much plan on paying retail for the frame?

I like the look of the bar carbon, but i have seen how bare carbon yellows over time, should i worry about that, or should i just go painted......... the blue is really growing on me.

I am thinking this bike will probably replace my s-works enduro, or do you think its more likely to replace the epic?

mtbr member
    I went with the blue. Love it. Looks awesome out on the trail. I have had so many people comment how nice the bike looks. Plus I already have the 06 epic carbon which is black.

In all honesty you don't need the dhx. The rp23 does an excellent job and is super smooth. Again, too many adjustments with the dhx.
    Attached Images Attached Images

The Other Dude
    Well, i talked to my shop today, and he said they have spoke with ibis in the past, he is going to see if he can get setup with them, and get his hands on a blue Mojo frame for me. I am 5' 10" do you guys think i should go for a medium or large? Also, i was really planning on a DHX rear shock, but you guys seem to like the RP3, i have never ridden an RP3, but i have a DHX and love it. What do you guys think?

If my shop can get me one, i will be the proud owner of a new Mojo!!! I am excited, i hope all goes well with the shop and Ibis.

Grams Light Bikes
    You probably can go for a Large frame with a 100mm stem. I think the RP3 works just fine for all of the riding I do. Perhaps if I lived in Moab I might want a DHX but so far the RP3 has been fine for the rock gardens I deal with in the Colorado Rockies.

Call Ibis and ask them what they think about the sizing! Great customer service

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I'm 5'10" & I went with a Large & have a 100mm stem. Fits great! Good luck on the bike!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast