mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Any Ibisians rocking Kitsbow?

Maybe OT, but posting here because of the discerning nature of the Ibis crowd (posting elsewhere gets the "wow, expensive" replies, which are obvious and uninteresting at least to me).

I'm loving my Kitsbow shorts, and wondering if anyone else is as well. I haven't until now found a pair of shorts that are not annoying in some way - these are the first that feel this good. And damn, the fabrics make such a difference.

Curious about other opinions.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikemikemike View Post
    Maybe OT, but posting here because of the discerning nature of the Ibis crowd (posting elsewhere gets the "wow, expensive" replies, which are obvious and uninteresting at least to me).

I'm loving my Kitsbow shorts, and wondering if anyone else is as well. I haven't until now found a pair of shorts that are not annoying in some way - these are the first that feel this good. And damn, the fabrics make such a difference.

wow, expensive

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Ha!
    I guess I deserved that

Quote Originally Posted by broz View Post
    wow, expensive

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    expensive? amazingly expensive like the armani of bikewear.

I usually buy last year's stuff at half price. It gets clogged with mud anyhow.

screamer
    Usually I just stuff a wad of $100 bills down my bib shorts. Chafes like hell, but makes me feel like a playa'.

PS: This is right up there with the time Rapha recalled their chamois cream b/c it was mislabeled embrocation. LMAO. Literally.
    On heavy rotation: White Lung: Deep Fantasy

Too Much Fun

Wink Don't besmirch the Ibis list

Ha!
    I guess I deserved that
    Of course you did. It's a slippery slope between being "decerning" and being a bunch of BMW driving wankers who just tool around with Ripleys on the roof talking gnarcore.

The Kitsbow stuff is fantastic, but as consumers, everyone has to pick their battles. I have 4-5 pairs of shorts that I rotate through for MTB riding, all are flawed slightly in some way. Do I need a new pair of shorts...? Not really. Do I WANT some? Sure!

I guess I can afford to shell out for some Kitsbow kit but I'd feel like a jackass trying to explain to myself why I did, let alone my wife who'd laugh her ass off right before she tells me I'm an idiot for spending $270 on riding shorts.

Anyway, it's a free country (sort of) where I am, so buy whatever shorts you like!
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    May 2011
    They look really nice and I'm sure they are top notch. If money was no object then I would ride with them.

How long does a pair of these shorts last before they wear thin?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by benja55 View Post
    Of course you did. It's a slippery slope between being "decerning" and being a bunch of BMW driving wankers who just tool around with Ripleys on the roof talking gnarcore.

I guess I can afford to shell out for some Kitsbow kit but I'd feel like a jackass trying to explain to myself why I did, let alone my wife who'd laugh her ass off right before she tells me I'm an idiot for spending $270 on riding shorts.
    $270 only gets you the outer shorts. The liners are another $215. So $500+ shipped.

screamer
    Quote Originally Posted by OldManBike View Post
    $270 only gets you the outer shorts. The liners are another $215. So $500+ shipped.
    Does the fellatio come with the outer shorts or with the liner?
    On heavy rotation: White Lung: Deep Fantasy

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by budgie View Post

PS: This is right up there with the time Rapha recalled their chamois cream b/c it was mislabeled embrocation. LMAO. Literally.
    This is hilarious. Happens to be dated April 1, but hilarious nonetheless.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by canuck_tacoma View Post
    They look really nice and I'm sure they are top notch. If money was no object then I would ride with them.

How long does a pair of these shorts last before they wear thin?
    Don't know - they're new. But the fabric is something you won't find elsewhere. Truly something unique to any cycling clothes I've seen. I would expect great durability, but I bought for the comfort and function.

I was a climber before coming back to mountain biking. Climbers realize that clothing is gear - it can be the difference between success and failure on a route (or even survival in extreme cases), and certainly between being happy or miserable on the route. I paid almost as much attention to my clothing as to my choice of screws, tools, cams, ropes, etc. More, in some cases. Granted, I was obsessive and passionate to a degree far outweighing my accomplishments.

But I don't think it would be a bad generalization to say that, although both sports were being conducted with cutoff jeans as the garb of choice in the 70s, mountain biking hasn't advanced as much a climbing in this sense. Now, in fairness, I too have not to this point paid the same attention to my mountain biking clothing as I ever did to my climbing stuff - it's not the same degree of commitment in the riding I do. But I really do appreciate the pieces that I have that work well, and the ones that don't detract from my experience a little, the same way that a poorly functioning derailleur etc would.

Anyhow, that digression aside, these shorts feel damn good. Most definitely not for everyone. But neither is an ibis.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

The Kitsbow stuff is fantastic, but as consumers, everyone has to pick their battles. I have 4-5 pairs of shorts that I rotate through for MTB riding, all are flawed slightly in some way. Do I need a new pair of shorts...? Not really. Do I WANT some? Sure!
    No BMW. 2002 Honda. No gnarcore talk. Aware of the reality of having my "deserve" lower than my "afford", but still ride as much and as hard as I can, but no pretense of being anything other than a regular guy who pushes himself and loves it. Obsessive? Yes. Limited disposable income, time, thought, and energy goes to mountain biking? Yes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Best riding shorts I've ever owned. Period. I'm in total agreement, can't find any annoying traits, they are bomb proof, comfortable, good looking and have a great fit.
    Yeah, they're pricey but as with many excellent quality products, I've found that you have absolutely no regrets about spending the money after you've experienced them for a while.
    Scot

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    In my opinion, they are overpriced. I don't say that lightly because I have a lot of experience in the outdoor clothing/fabrics market and am all to familiar with the consumer complaints of how expensive things are. In most cases, the consumer is really just misinformed about the real costs of fabrics, R&D, and production. Contrary to what many people might think, small companies in the bike industry like Ibis, Turner, Santa Cruz, Pivot, etc. are running pretty small margins. Some of them make a nice living, but it's not the industry to choose if you want real wealth. It's the same story in the outdoor clothing industry.

Sooo, back to Kitsbow. I don't dispute that those shorts may be awesome and the best on the market. But, they are made of Schoeller dry-skin, which is a fabric that has ben used in the climbing/hiking market for nearly 15 years. It is expensive, but not as expensive as the high end waterproof-breathable shell fabrics. It also does not require any specialized taping equipment to sew, so you don't have the costs of a welded garment that you see with gore-tex, etc. If you compare to the climbing/hiking industry, you'll see that the majority of shoeller pant products (which require more fabric and more seams) are in the $225 range. Kitsbow is charging another $50, and its for a pair of shorts. I'd love to have a pair and I don't mind paying for the best, but I don't like overpaying either.

Too Much Fun

Wink Ok, ok they are worth every cent!

Quote Originally Posted by Scot Nicol View Post
    Yeah, they're pricey but as with many excellent quality products, I've found that you have absolutely no regrets about spending the money after you've experienced them for a while.
    Ok FINE. If Chuck Ibis blesses them then I'll get pair godammit.

I suppose we do live in an age where Specialized can charge $10k for a stock bike, so maybe I should STFU about expensive riding shorts. I will give Kitsbow credit for keeping production in NA. I love Rapha kit too, but it irks me some that they charge what they do and still manufacture overseas.

For the record, I have nothing against BMW drivers with Ripleys on the roof, or gnarcore talk. I just like painting whole swaths of the population with a broad brush.
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Aren't they made in Vancouver BC, Canada?

Off the back...
    Quote Originally Posted by canuck_tacoma View Post
    Aren't they made in Vancouver BC, Canada?
    Richmond, I thought. The Schoeller fabric is very nice, but as mentioned, it's not inherently expensive. Swrve out of LA uses very similar fabrics (Maybe the same?) with US labour and charges half as much.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Schoeller-dryskin, taped seams, made in Richmond ... yeah looks like nice kit. Great to see companies working with decent fabrics for MTB. Always been amazed how poor the fabrics are in MTB clothes in general. That said I can't believe the price relative to what a good pair of softshell pants would cost for back country hiking or skiing - bring on the competition to get the price down to something reasonable.

To the guys wearing them, are you using their liner short? The Kitsbow one looks like it's a cool weather oriented liner short and a bit much for warmer weather. Also curious since there isn't any waist adjustment whether they fit small, big or true to size?
    Last edited by seleniak; 05-23-2013 at 09:02 PM.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic
    - Arthur C. Clarke

mtbr member
    Ok FINE. If Chuck Ibis blesses them then I'll get pair godammit.

I suppose we do live in an age where Specialized can charge $10k for a stock bike, so maybe I should STFU about expensive riding shorts. I will give Kitsbow credit for keeping production in NA. I love Rapha kit too, but it irks me some that they charge what they do and still manufacture overseas.

For the record, I have nothing against BMW drivers with Ripleys on the roof, or gnarcore talk. I just like painting whole swaths of the population with a broad brush.
    $500 dollars for shorts? That IS my BMW payment lol! sorry but for that price i would rather get some new wheels or brakes, its not like i'm going to be able to use them for the rest of my life...but hey if you feel you ride better because of them its all good.

default title
    Mar 2008
    Guy-fit only...meh, they know their potential clientele I guess...
    Ibex cycling shorts also mostly Merino wool, half the price of Kitsbow and Ibex has sales sometimes. And women's shorts.
    I rock Ibex gear on my Ibis mojo. The Kitsbow has some amazing stitching, they should list the estimated time to sew per garment.
    "My opinions are often more offensive than my *******." - Twindaddy

Beaubien
    Aug 2006
    Ibis can introduce a $7K+ bike and everyone raves about it and nobody says it's pricey. A new company comes out with $500 shorts and only a few have anything good to say. Maybe Ibis can throw in a "hand job" to make it a better deal.