mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Any Ibis Knowitalls

This is just a quick question that I have about a Hakkalugi I have had for about 5 years now. The right chainstay seems to be stainless or perhaps nickle plated. I haven't seen any other Haks with this chainstay. Do you know if it was a custom option that somehow I got ahold of or just a later/earlier feature. I bought the bike new during a closeout from Excell for 450bucks.

Not a regular
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by AKamp
    This is just a quick question that I have about a Hakkalugi I have had for about 5 years now. The right chainstay seems to be stainless or perhaps nickle plated. I haven't seen any other Haks with this chainstay. Do you know if it was a custom option that somehow I got ahold of or just a later/earlier feature. I bought the bike new during a closeout from Excell for 450bucks.
    A new Lugi for $450? Nice. The tubeset is Ibis' "Moron" tubeset that was comprised of Columbus Nivacrom, Metax and heat-treated crmo. The tubes were supposedly drawn to Ibis' specs. The chainstays are a stainless Columbus Metax tube that are buffed to give them a titanium look.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ssmike
    A new Lugi for $450? Nice. The tubeset is Ibis' "Moron" tubeset that was comprised of Columbus Nivacrom, Metax and heat-treated crmo. The tubes were supposedly drawn to Ibis' specs. The chainstays are a stainless Columbus Metax tube that are buffed to give them a titanium look.

The sticker on the bike says it is Prestige tubing. I would imagine that this was probably an earlier model then.

~~~~~~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by AKamp
    The sticker on the bike says it is Prestige tubing. I would imagine that this was probably an earlier model then.
    The Ibis literature states the Hakkalugi as "new from Ibis for the 97 model year. We've been building Cross bikes for 13 years - mainly for friends and family..."

Also says Moron tubing, and no mention of the stainless chainstays, and the photos show a painted chainstay, were as the stainless stay Spanky is clearly visible and polished.

You scored.