mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Any 5'11 1/2 who rides a XL mojo hd?

Anyone who rides it with 40-50mm stem. A friend is selling it for a cheap price and im wondering if it will fit well to me.

aka dan51
    It will probably work fine for you. Since it's a friend you should be able to get some test rides in before dropping $$, otherwise he's not a friend

I personally think you will be better off on a L though.
    The biggest issue will be is will there be enough seatpost exposed to run a dropper post.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    He is 6 flat and accdg to him the xl feels small to him. What are the advantages and disadvantages of going to a larger frame if you are a tweener? Can i consider myself as a tweener even if im 511 and a half?

aka dan51
    I'm 6'2" and went from a XL to a L and never looked back. The XL felt too big and sluggish for me, like the front wheel was too far forward making cornering suck. DH was fine, but the bike lacked nimbleness.
    The biggest differences are going to be wheelbase length and bar height. Long wheelbase = stable dh but less nimble. Bar height is a personal choice, I like mine slighly lower than seat height, something you may not get with an xl.

A large with a 70mm stem will fit the same as an XL with a 50-55mm stem, but they will handle differently.

I'm sure plenty of others will chime in with their experiences.
    You really need to demo it though. Don't let the good deal pressure you into buying the wrong size.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    My inseam is 35.5 inches all the way down and 35 inches just a little below my ankle. Measured it from mu crotch . Is that how you measure onseam?haha! I guess i would fit in the XL.

MTB B'dos
    I was like, "Is this guy crazy, only 5'11" wanting to buy an XL" but then I checked the geo and that XL is more like a L or even M in some brands. While it has a 24.6"/24.8" ETT, it also has a STA of 70/71, so I can't imagine the Reach is anything over 410mm, so I say ask for a test ride first, but yeah it should fit and work for you. Why they don't have Reach & Stack numbers I'll never know, only way to really know, on paper if a bike should fit you. BTW, I say the Reach couldn't be more than 410mm because of the slack STA, I have a bike with 24.5" ETT, but 74/75* STA and the Reach is 450mm, so can't imagine a bike with a STA 4*+ slacker could be anywhere near close to it, oh and I'm 6'2", 35.25" inseam and long arms, run a 65mm stem and 785mm bar and love the fit.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

[put something cool here]
    Oct 2011
    It's been a while, but we had several threads on the L vs XL question. To start with:
    Belief about sizing
    Joining the Mojo ranks- could use sizing help between L and XL

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Have read all that and just want to ask it again because of the new trend for enduro and that is Long Toptube, Short stem and wide bars. Thats the setup i am planning thats why I think the XL is the way to go. Stable in the dh with a little drawback in the agility department.

My friends L Nomad 3 is even longer than the xl mojo!

[put something cool here]
    Oct 2011
    Well, I sport a 90mm stem meanwhile. Does not look modern, but I love it. Since you can get your hands on the XL, I guess you wil be fine *and* modern :-) Oh, and what about d-bug's initial comment about test riding that very bike?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LGavin View Post
    My inseam is 35.5 inches all the way down and 35 inches just a little below my ankle. Measured it from mu crotch . Is that how you measure onseam?haha! I guess i would fit in the XL.
    6 ft--long arms and the L was too small for me--the XL is perfect--I use a 70mm stem and 750mm bars--my shirt sleeve size is 36" and I have big shoulders--take more top tube length than you think--bike handles fine

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    My friend is just 6 flat with a 34.5 inseam and accdg to him, the L felt small on him. Im not a fan of ling stems anyways. I would rather have a larger size short stem than a smaller size and setback the seatpost and lengthen the stem. Personal preference though.

aka dan51
    Quote Originally Posted by LGavin View Post
    My friend is just 6 flat with a 34.5 inseam and accdg to him, the L felt small on him. Im not a fan of ling stems anyways. I would rather have a larger size short stem than a smaller size and setback the seatpost and lengthen the stem. Personal preference though.
    IMO, setback seatposts should never be used to adjust fit to a frame size. You get the appropriate post (straight or setback) to get your arse in the appropriate position relative to the cranks. Once that is done adjust torso fit by using different length stems and different width bars. This is where you decide if the L or XL is appropriate. If a good fit requires a stem longer than what you are comfortable running, then it's time to get a larger size frame. If you have to keep shortening the stem to get a good fit, then you need a smaller frame. This goes back to a previous poster wishing Ibis put the reach specs out.

The latest in enduro stuff is nothing more than goggles and more colors

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    i'm 6ft exactly and ride a XL HD 650b with a 50mm stem. its perfect for climbing(the front wheel stays planted) and descending(weight feels centered, rails corners). I wouldnt consider riding a L...they do fit small and id prefer a longer top tube with a shorter stem,

mtbr member
    I'd definitely go XL. Like others have said the HD run quite small.
    I'm just over 5' 8" and ride a large HDR with short (35mm) stem.
    Fits great.
    They are a full size if not more smaller than most current bikes.

Eld
    mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I'm 5' 9" and ride a size Large HDR with a 55mm stem. I might try a slightly shorter stem, for a bit more agile feel.
    Before I bought the HDR I tried a HD in M with both a 50mm stem and a 65mm. With the 65mm stem it felt spot on, but I like short stems so I decided to go for one size up. The downside of this is that there is limited room for a dropperpost, I run a KS LEV with 125mm drop and I run it slammed to the seatcollar. So measure your current seatpost length and make sure you can run the dropper you want.

Stupid is, as stupid does
    I am 6'2 and the XL feels small to me. It fit's me like my old large Yeti 575. Anyway I have a 34" inseam and run a 150 dropper post. I am just below the max insertion line on KS Lev dropper post and I use a 70mm stem.
    Yeti SB95C
    Carver Ti 420
    Ibis HD3

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Had a quick spin with the xl yesterday. With 50mm stem, i felt more stable and my body feels spot on with the bike. There is no endo feeling. Turning requires more body english but i think the 2degree angleset contributed to this. Will try to go down to 160mm for all around trail riding. Thanks for all your opinions!