mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Another way to skin the cat: 650b / 26" hybrid

Just the current incarnation of my tinkering...I'm sure others have tried the same. 650b front / 26" rear with 160mm f 160mm r travel.
    The rims are the same width (Enve AM)...tires are HD 2.35 front and Maxxis Minion DHR 2.35 r. In looking at the pic, you'd hardly know the wheels were different sizes...though there's a solid 1" of difference. The BB height is right at 14"

Biggest drawback is the fork damping (using a 2013 650b CTD)...just not in the same league as the fox float 36mm RC2 that I typically run on the bike.

Biggest benefits: (the HD, in white, has still got to be the best-looking frame going...)...full 160 travel and stiff-as-heck rear end is nice for carving...plenty of tire clearance.

I loved my SL's and SL-R's (in 26, 650b, and mixed modes)...but now, with my (amazing) Ripley, I'm having a really hard time rationalizing a 130mm 650b bike with the same (140mm) front travel...so I've been slow to pull the trigger on the HD-R. I'll tell ya, this Ripley has thrown a serious monkey wrench into my long-held belief that I 'have' to have multiple bikes...I guess I'll just have to settle for 'wanting' multiple bikes...which should be good enough.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Another way to skin the cat: 650b / 26" hybrid-mojo-hd-650b-26-hybrid.jpg  

mtbr member
    This seems like the most logical setup to me for 275. How do you like it relative to your full 275 setups?

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    If I take the 'HD' part out of the equation...ie. converting / hybridizing any frame, the most experience I have is with the SL's...and I found that 650b was, generally, preferable overall to 26" (this was starting about 5-ish years ago when Kirk Pacenti first came out with his tires)...and basically everyone I rode with / the guys in my local shop all thought I was NUTS (but, then again, I've also been known to rock Jones bars, elliptical chainrings, and all manner of non-standard stuff). I liked the roll-over capability and slightly better 'flow'...but tire clearance was an issue...so I started doing to the 650b only on the front and I found that ~80% or more of the benefit of doing the bigger wheels came from the front wheel. It didn't feel too 'unbalalanced'...and with all the travel of these current bikes, I jest never felt like I was missing out with the 26" in the rear coupled with 130mm+ of travel.

The minion in the back is a big ol' tire...and with 160mm of travel, how could you possibly need more rollover capability? By going from to the 650b front setup I probably pick up ~10mm effective axle-to-crown versus my float 36mm/minion 2.5 so it does slacken out the bike a tad (and I like the stock HD geo)...so that's a bit of downside but not much...BB height is up a bit and that's probably a downside too. By comparison, the way I've been measuring them, the Ripley (with 140mm 34 and 2.3 wolverines) rides at 13"...and I'm probably going to knock that 140mm down to 120 or 130...not so much for bb height but too quicken up the steering a bit.

The logic in it primarily comes from being able to use my existing frame and maintain decent meat on the rear tire.

And just for proper clarity, I'm not suggesting that this is the best setup for me or anyone else...just another way to go.

mtbr member
    got inspired by this thread and went ahead and tried it. before i start with my impressions i will say that i started with HD 160 and 26" wheels for about 6 months. than i did switch to 650b wheelset (both wheelsets stans flows) in 160 mode shimmed. since i had both wheel sizes i tried 650b front/ 26 rear this weekend. had ~30 mile ride saturday and ~10mile really techy ride sunday with steep lose climbs. i could instantly feel there was something off. most noticeable was roll over ability, i would just got hung on stuff that was not a problem with 650b. i had to work my body weight much more, an energy that could be used to ride harder or farther instead. also lack of traction while climbing was noticeable. not as much on the first ride , but second ride while climbing steep loose stuff. and than pedal strikes, just way too many of them. unlike many people, that dont like higher bb with 650 b conversion, i really liked it on our rocky trails. have to say, while switch from 26 to 650b didnt seem that groundbreaking, going back the advantages of 650b are more than obvious.
    my setup is different than the one above though and i understand there is lots of variables to this. i didnt change any components except wheels. i have however adjusted stack ht and seat position as recommended in other threads to compensate for geometry change.
    HuRa
    architecture and interior design
    website facebook

Team Chilidog!
    I think the HD would be cool to try as a B6er (650b front, 26" rear), and that might be something I try in the future since the Vengeance (650B compatible) would be an awesome fork for this bike.

Anyone here setup an HD as a B6er? I'd be interested in your experiences.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Did you see the post directly above yours? HD at a B6er...

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelly_NH View Post
    Did you see the post directly above yours? HD at a B6er...
    Sorry, I should have clarified. The post above mine sounds like he went from a full 650B to a B6er (unless I'm misunderstanding). I'm more curious about people who have gone from 26" to B6er.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I think he ran full 26", then full 650B, and then tried B6er.

" i will say that i started with HD 160 and 26" wheels for about 6 months. than i did switch to 650b wheelset (both wheelsets stans flows) in 160 mode shimmed. since i had both wheel sizes i tried 650b front/ 26 rear this weekend"

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelly_NH View Post
    I think he ran full 26", then full 650B, and then tried B6er.

" i will say that i started with HD 160 and 26" wheels for about 6 months. than i did switch to 650b wheelset (both wheelsets stans flows) in 160 mode shimmed. since i had both wheel sizes i tried 650b front/ 26 rear this weekend"
    Right, I understand that. Going from bigger wheels to smaller wheels (be it 29" to 26", 650B to 26", 26" to 24", etc) provides a different perception than going from 26" to 650B. That's why I'm asking if someone has gone from 26" to a B6er.. not down from a 650B to a B6er.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I did. if you have the fork / front wheel...try it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I have an ibis mojo sl. For 6 months I have changed the front wheel with a 650b (hans dampf trail) and rear 26 nobby nic 2.2. The fork is a talas 2010 110-160. Rear shock is the rp23 140mm.

The bike is perfect. Better climbing and better downhill.

Good chance to improve riding this amazing bike.
    Regards

Ernesto

PS It's a pitty that we don't have the possibility to upgrade our mojo/sl/sl-r to the new full 650b.....even if I agree that it isn't so important the 650b on back

mtbr member
    Still liking the 650bfront?
    Im thinking of trying as i have float36 fork..

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I do like it. though my setup has changed again. I sold my white HD (which I regret, as I really loved the look of the bike in white) and bought an HDR (reverse P...which is growing on me). I have it set up for 650b with the same 150mm pike up front and the fox ctd rear and I'm really enjoying it. I've got the 2.35 hans dampfs front and rear...clearance is good. the bike is such a blast to ride. I thought it might be too much of an overlap with the ripley but they have slightly different personalities...enough different to really enjoy both.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I'm glad this thread popped back up as it has me thinking on the B6er options again....

My 2013 HD is currently running 650 with the 140 limbos, a 160 Pike & a 7.875"x2.25" Monarch. Gives me a 13.8" bb and ~143 - 148 rear travel depending on calculations and ghetto attempts to measure. With a Ardent Race 2.2 on the rear the tire just touches the seat tube on full compression haven't felt a bottom out buzz with the Race tire, but it is the tallest tire that I can realistically squeeze in there (Standard Ardent 2.25 picks up too many rocks in the rear triangle and bottoms out pretty good on the seat tube). My only regret on my current setup is having to run a pinner rear tire.

So here's the thought... Drop the Pike to 150, put a 26" rear wheel with a big(er) tire, keep the 140 limbos and the 2.25" stroke shock. Should yield a 'balanced' bike close to 150mm travel F&R with a sub 14" bb. What benefit would I lose in rollover or is that just all in my head?

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by Reelchef67 View Post
    Still liking the 650bfront?
    Im thinking of trying as i have float36 fork..
    Me too, just need to see if I can find a 650b wheel with a 20mm TA I can borrow and a good meaty tire for the front (Maxxis DHF 2.5 comes to mind).

mtbr member

Another way to skin the cat: 650b / 26" hybrid

Well I got a wheel 650b and have used it for two rides so far. it definitely feels different. Faster yet calmedespecially on rough rocky terrain.it's going to take awhile to get used to it at speed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    " I only Ride Enduro'