boba
    Dec 2007

Another..Protective tape question.

Our two Ibis Mojo Carbons arrive or Monday and I think I will spend an hour or so putting some protective tape on them. I went to a local auto supply store and they have rolls of the following 2inch wide tape.

3M Paint Protection Film. It is a polyurthane tape and is used on Autos to protect against stone chips. It is advertised as adaptable to rounded surpaces and is yellowing resistant and nearly invisible. Has anyone had any expereince with this product?....Some of the other products Ibis owners suggest such as ISG Helicopter tape which is not available locally.

We have had great experience dealing with The Bike Cafe, Kamloops, BC who are a new Ibis dealer...They gave us a good deal and great service. Go to their website and look at the photos of their team and shop riders for a gallery of some fine pics of the BC Interior riding. My wife, Jane's bike is posted on their website.

bob, Comox, BC

mtbr member
    The 3M product will work fine.

mtbr member
    BobAustin , when you do get it can you please post a picture and also the product number.. I tried looking for M3 tape and went to the suppliers... they told me that due to the massive number of tapes they provide they would not be able to help unless i have a product code..

Slovakia (Europe)
    I've found this 3M ones on eBay.uk
    http://search.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQsassZbiketape
    and ordered recently, but haven't received yet to post the experience.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I found the 3M/Scotchguard product here
    http://www.3mestore.com/70071373891.html

It comes in a small quantity for $7.50. I haven't received it yet so I can't vouch for it's effectiveness. It should be enough, for me anyway, to protect a few cable/housing wear areas.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    There is some links in previous threads about where to get the tape from! I did a google search for bike tape, albeit in the UK and found www.biketape.co.uk

In the US try these.

http://www.findtape.com/product173/I...=Racers%2bTape

http://www.iscracerstape.com/rtp.htm...20Guard%20Tape
    Pinnarello Dogma FP2006

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

tennis grip tape

I've read somewhere that someone used tennis grip tape to protect the chainstays from slap... Anyone has an opinion of how effective that is?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by filmlab
    I've read somewhere that someone used tennis grip tape to protect the chainstays from slap... Anyone has an opinion of how effective that is?
    I've not personally tried this... but it wouldn't be very effective at all. The grip tape is not very durable and would get shredded up quite easily.

I've found that an old inner tube works best and is cheapest. (free) just make sure you pull real tight and do 50% overlap. then use a zip tie at one end to hold it all together..

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

perhaps double the protection?

I am sure I'm not the first to say this, but I'll err on the side of overcaution and probably wrap one layer of tennis grip over the rubber tube. Double the armour, double the peace o mind. I'll probably put a lizard skin on the seatstay above also.

This frame has to last me a long time, that's a huge chunk of $ right there. Now to spec it out....

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by filmlab
    I am sure I'm not the first to say this, but I'll err on the side of overcaution and probably wrap one layer of tennis grip over the rubber tube. Double the armour, double the peace o mind. I'll probably put a lizard skin on the seatstay above also.

This frame has to last me a long time, that's a huge chunk of $ right there. Now to spec it out....
    Not really necessary and would add no real benefit, I've used the one tube for over 7 years and it's still in good shape...

Still I guess if you really wanted to... each to his own I guess..

jgk
    mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by littlejohn
    I've not personally tried this... but it wouldn't be very effective at all. The grip tape is not very durable and would get shredded up quite easily.
    I use tennis replacement grip to protect my chainstay and it's held up great. I got the idea from ddraewwg, who has been using it for a while. Cost was $5 and no signs of being shredded.

Founder: Dirty3hirties

I've found that an old inner tube works best and is cheapest. (free) just make sure you pull real tight and do 50% overlap. then use a zip tie at one end to hold it all together..
    Not quite right. You're probably thinking about racquet overgrip which when I played tennis would have to be replaced. I use (and some others on MTBR who've asked me) use racquet replacement grip which I've never had to replace.

When I first used it, I was expecting it to tear/shread/waste away eventually, but it never did. My buddies use old tubes or lizard skins, and they work fine, but personally, I like the cleaner look of the replacement tape.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ddraewwg
    Not quite right. You're probably thinking about racquet overgrip which when I played tennis would have to be replaced. I use (and some others on MTBR who've asked me) use racquet replacement grip which I've never had to replace.

When I first used it, I was expecting it to tear/shread/waste away eventually, but it never did. My buddies use old tubes or lizard skins, and they work fine, but personally, I like the cleaner look of the replacement tape.

I guess... I'm not thinking of the overgrip, but I suppose in recent years the grips I've preferred have been the super soft tacky types, which don't usually last very long for me on my racquet, let alone on the bike..

Now you've got me interested, which brand/type are you using as a chainstay protector?? and how does it hold up in wet muddy conditions??

Founder: Dirty3hirties
    I guess... I'm not thinking of the overgrip, but I suppose in recent years the grips I've preferred have been the super soft tacky types, which don't usually last very long for me on my racquet, let alone on the bike..

Now you've got me interested, which brand/type are you using as a chainstay protector?? and how does it hold up in wet muddy conditions??

Ahh...if you play tennis, I can see where you're coming from. I first put on a Prince grip about 6 years ago....never had to replace, never tore, nothing. In fact, when I'd wash the bike and wipe the grip clean, it looks relatively new....a little stained or whatever, but pretty much fine. I don't ride in very wet conditions but I wash the bike very frequently and the water doesn't seem to dry it up, make it easier to tear, etc. I just got the Mojo and in fact, coulda just used the same grip on it, but I figured "What the heck...let's splurge...a new bike deserves a $5 chainstay protector!"

Since I had good results with Prince....I went out and bought the same. One thing of note, I don't take the adhesive backing off the replacement grip to stick it to the frame. I just leave it on and wrap the stay. They usually give you electrical tape in the pack to tape the ends but I use zipties like you do....stronger....better. The zipties should hold the grip in place if you don't use the adhesive. I'd rather not use the adhesive since it makes it easier to remove if you wanted to for some reason.

I googled it and here's something that looks comparable: http://www.swingsomewhere.com/swings...1536?i=default

I don't know if that's the exact grip but you get the picture

A tube should be just as effective but for $5, I like the grip because it looks a little more "refined". I think I picked it up at Sports Authority or Golfsmith.......

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Hockey stick tape works great for me on the chainstay and it is a big roll cheap. It stretches just enough to do a nice job over the unequal surfaces. The racer tape from isc worked well for everything else. It took me quite a while to do a nice job of getting it all on but well worth it.
    Mech13