mtbr member
    May 2010

Another Mojo HD or SL-R decision - Help

Please help me decided between an SL-R or HD.

I currently ride a 2011 Giant Trance Advance. It has a 140mm Fox, 1x9 Setup. Over the past couple of months, the bike has been jinx'd or something. Seems like everything is breaking...I can't go more than 2 rides without a failure or some sort. Blown fork damper, blown rear shock, crack rear linkage, destroyed rear wheel, etc.

So I was thinking of moving on and hoping to cure this hex and getting either an SLR or HD frame. I ride both XC and Am stuff, so I want a "do-it-all" trail bike. I want to run a 1x9 or 1x10 setup. So if I go with the SLR, I was thinking of getting a Shadow/Type2 mech with a front upper chain guide. But maybe the HD would be better suited for me. I have a SLR demo right now that I'm about to ride.

Can someone tell he how the HD compares to a Specialized Enduro or Yeti SB66. My previous bike was an Enduro and besides the weight, I really liked that bike. I just demo'd a Yeti and liked that bike too, but the frame is too much $ for me. I can get a good deal on the Ibis. I'm also really concerned about weight. My trance is ~26-27lbs with dropper.

Hard decision...I know it comes down to my choice, but maybe some of you have some insight and areas to consider that I haven't thought of. Thanks

aka dan51
    Ibis needs to make an online "What should I get" wizard. I'm sure they can make in entertaining, and useful.

If you are planning on racing XC often and/or are worried about weight get an SL-R. Otherwise the HD is more fun for everything. (I think I just wrote their online wizard...)
    Those who know, ride a Mojo AND a Mojo HD.
    Quadzilla
    Quote Originally Posted by benja55
    Ok, whatever, cold water on my bike boner right there.

mtbr member
    My personal opinion is that the HD is a better all around frame. Having said that, the SLR is an awesome trail bike with great AM qualities. You really should demo them and see what you like best because the angles are different.

mtbr member
    If you really liked your enduro but just thought the frame was too heavy, buy the HD, hands down. If you want to have a sub 25 pound race/trail bike and/or for long epic rides get the SLR

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Thanks to those that replied. After my test ride today, I'm leaning towards an SLR frame with an Angleset to slacken it out to 68. I liked everything on the bike except for the HA which I'm sure the Angleset will take care of. The bike has all the characteristics of my Trance and more.
    Some deciding factors were how it handles on the down and the ability to run a 1x setup. The bike is super fast both up and down. It tracks very well. Was a little twitchy but due in part to narrower bars, longer stem, and no drop post..so I'm sure when I get it setup to my liking it will be good to go.

Now I have to upgrade my entire drive 1x10 and get an e.13 D mount guide and Shadow + derailleur, but I guess it was time for me to get with the times.
    Last edited by mcgong; 11-26-2012 at 11:34 PM.