Unpredictable

Another Flock of .....

Terribly sorry, no ibis's this time and so sorry again for the crappy phonecam, but it seems the birds keep flocking to the mojo

These gals are Gold Coast Meter Maids. They pop a coin in whenever some poor sod's meter is flagging and lo and behold, all is good in Surfer's Paradise!!!! The little one on the step had "BUY ONE GET ONE FREE" on her tail.

Far lovelier in real life. Gawd life is tough - Ibis Bandwagon take note

Having a Nice Day.jpg

Geritol Power

Thank you

buy one get one free eh? How much does something like that cost? I've been married for 23 years and I know how much THAT costs

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Gold Coast??

Where does this happen?
    Do passers by contribute money for their time and meter feeding?? How does it all work?
    H

Mojo0115
    Nov 2004
    I had forgotten about the meter maid thing. I lived in Brisbane most of my life.

Hans - it used to be that is was funded by businesses and was part of the tourist attraction of the city.

Gold Coast is a city in the south eastern corner of Queensland, Australia and a terrific beach destination. Wikipedia details: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gold_Coast%2C_Queensland

A brief history of the meter maid is in the australia section of this wikipedia article. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parking_attendant

not so super...
    Nothing to see here.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    In Santa Cruz a number of years ago. A clown (literally) was doing that and he was arrested. Apparently it was against the local law. Too bad, we need some delectable delights like that downtown.

Unpredictable
    The lady that started the Meter Maids still runs the show; she would be in her late 60's I guess. It has been running as an unfunded, private business for a long time now. The girls wear advertising (not just on the butt) and sell promo items to the public. Shame they don't still wear chains of coins like bullets. It would be hard to think of the Goldie without our meter maids. Bit better looking than this little lady I caught the next day - she went back being larger than the legal limit.
    74cm - Broadwater 18 Jan 08.jpg