mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Another fit threat - I'm 72.5in tall, currently own an L, should I be XL?

I currently own an original Mojo in Large, with a 70mm 0-degree stem, and 660mm bars with 15mm rise. My seatpost seems fairly high, and the seat sits just a tad back from dead center. I've been riding this bike for 2 years and have no real problems, but lately I read a fitment thread, and it go me thinking.

When riding, I notice that I have to work fairly hard to keep the front tire on the ground during steep climbs (even with the fork dropped to 120mm), and on descents, I find myself feeling like something is off - like the handlebars are either too low or too close to me.

I'm considering a Mojo HD as my next bike, and was assuming I'd get a large. Since I'll probably run a 70mm stem (could even do a 50mm) with ~710mm bars, should I actually be considering an XL?

These are my measurements, plus numbers from the Competitive Cyclist fit calculator.

Measurements
    -------------------------------------------
    Inseam: 34.5
    Trunk: 25
    Forearm: 14.5
    Arm: 25
    Thigh: 24
    Lower Leg: 23
    Sternal Notch: 60
    Total Body Height: 72.5

All Mountain Fit
    -------------------------------------------
    Standover Height Range: 32.7 - 33.4 inches
    Virtual Top Tube: 23.3 - 23.7 inches
    Stem Length: 7.7 - 10.1 cm
    BB-Saddle Position: 74.7 - 80.8 cm
    Saddle-Handlebar: 53.2 - 55.0 cm

Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Why don't you try running a 90mm Stem and seeing if that feels better? If so then it will give you a general idea what the XL will feel like. Also take a look at the Head Tube Height on the XL and try to raise your bars to to match that too.

I ride a MD HD and felt like I should be on a LRG. I have tried a large and the reach felt good, but the bike felt bigger under me. Would I get used to the larger bike? Hard to say.

Also....I found that I liked the bars a little higher with a shorter stem. A lot of people go lower as the go shorter. Trying to keep more weight over the bars. I found that I prefered the feel and balance with a little more height. Shorter and higher....longer and lower for me. I have a 710mm bar and have tried a 750mm bar too...went back to 711.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by canuck_tacoma View Post
    Why don't you try running a 90mm Stem and seeing if that feels better? If so then it will give you a general idea what the XL will feel like. Also take a look at the Head Tube Height on the XL and try to raise your bars to to match that too.

I ride a MD HD and felt like I should be on a LRG. I have tried a large and the reach felt good, but the bike felt bigger under me. Would I get used to the larger bike? Hard to say.

Also....I found that I liked the bars a little higher with a shorter stem. A lot of people go lower as the go shorter. Trying to keep more weight over the bars. I found that I prefered the feel and balance with a little more height. Shorter and higher....longer and lower for me. I have a 710mm bar and have tried a 750mm bar too...went back to 711.
    Good idea. I did run a 90mm stem at one point, so I'll see if I still have it lying around. I'm running about 2/5 inches of spacers under my stem currently, so it seems like an XL would be fine in the bar height department.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    XL HD Headtube is 134 (5.28")
    LRG SL Headtube is 130 (5.1")

Not too much of a difference, though I can notice 5mm changes. Don't forget the AC height of the two forks as well. That will add or take away from the front end height.

There are alot of variables, test riding is still the best.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    XL HD Headtube is 134 (5.28")
    LRG SL Headtube is 130 (5.1")

Not too much of a difference, though I can notice 5mm changes. Don't forget the AC height of the two forks as well. That will add or take away from the front end height.

There are alot of variables, test riding is still the best.
    Yep, I'll see if I can demo an XL. Thanks!

change is good
    Sep 2004
    The main reason I ride a 29er is because of the longer wheelbase. I'm 5'11" with a 35in inseam. The front end would come up on the 24in ett 26in bikes I used to ride. A larger frame would always stretch me out, but you are taller than I. You do have a fairly long inseam relative to torso length, but you're not freakish like myself. I would also demo a 29er or a 650b for the heck of it. I test rode a AM 29er and did not care for it. If I went AM, I would probably go 650b. Since you like your bike, it would seem that a XL would fit you better. From personal experience, many lbs employees do not know the finer nuances regarding fit. I strongly suggest calling Ibis and asking their opinion. Successful manufacturers have to know about fit issues spanning the entire bell curve.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDon View Post
    The main reason I ride a 29er is because of the longer wheelbase. I'm 5'11" with a 35in inseam. The front end would come up on the 24in ett 26in bikes I used to ride. A larger frame would always stretch me out, but you are taller than I. You do have a fairly long inseam relative to torso length, but you're not freakish like myself. I would also demo a 29er or a 650b for the heck of it. I test rode a AM 29er and did not care for it. If I went AM, I would probably go 650b. Since you like your bike, it would seem that a XL would fit you better. From personal experience, many lbs employees do not know the finer nuances regarding fit. I strongly suggest calling Ibis and asking their opinion. Successful manufacturers have to know about fit issues spanning the entire bell curve.
    Thanks for the input. I'll consider 650b in the future, but since I love my Mojo, I'll contact Ibis and see what they say. I do luckily have a great LBS that only sells high-end mountain bikes, including Ibis, so I'll see if they have an XL demo bike.

Quick aside - if I demo an SL-R or an SL in XL, and it seems to fit, would that translate into a definite for an XL Mojo HD? I would assume the HD has a longer wheelbase because of the slacker head angle, but not sure if that affects fit much.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    What type of riding are you doing? If you plan on expanding into lots of jumps and freeride then this will effect your decision too.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    What type of riding are you doing? If you plan on expanding into lots of jumps and freeride then this will effect your decision too.
    Entirely all mountain. Technical, fast descents, long ascents on fireroads or shorter technical ascents, lots of small jumps, some big ones. I just ride to have fun, I don't race, so the bike being poppy and fun matters most to me.

My current set up doesn't disappoint, but I just can't shake the feeling that something feels off. Seems like demoing an XL is the obvious next choice.

change is good
    Sep 2004

Another fit threat - I'm 72.5in tall, currently own an L, should I be XL?

I would imagine the different ST and HT measurements would affect fit somewhat. I just use ETT to determine fit, but current thought is using reach and stack as parameters to determine proper fit. Too complicated for me to figure out.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDon View Post
    I would imagine the different ST and HT measurements would affect fit somewhat. I just use ETT to determine fit, but current thought is using reach and stack as parameters to determine proper fit. Too complicated for me to figure out.
    Yah, but reach and stack are more appropriate as sole measurements for downhillers, since they stand all the time. Good to add to the mix for all bikes, but you still need ETT and a few other things to figure out if the fit is correct for pedaling when seated.

That begs a question though - how does one determine proper fit for pedaling efficiency. Shouldn't there be another measurement like reach, but from the seat to the BB?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ForbiddenBeat View Post
    That begs a question though - how does one determine proper fit for pedaling efficiency. Shouldn't there be another measurement like reach, but from the seat to the BB?
    IMO That's usually the seat angle....steeper more over the pedals.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    IMO That's usually the seat angle....steeper more over the pedals.
    I guess that's true, seat tube + angle.