mtbr member

Another Affirmation of Ibis' Legendary Service

Bought my HD last October and always had trouble aligning the rear brake. There was very limited adjustability due to low clearance between the top of the rotor and the caliper. I ended up putting a small spacer in to rectify the problem. The mounts still needed to be faced which I finally had done last week. While reassembling the bike the mechanic noticed by spacer and the limited clearance and offered to call Ibis. Before I left the owner asked if I wanted a 135 or 142 rear end of Ibis decided to replace it (it came with a 135). Left the shop around 5 PM Monday thinking that Ibis would say to deal with it.

Wednesday morning my phone rings and it is the shop saying that my new 142 rear end is ready to be picked up! Are you kidding me? Not only did they replace it, they overnighted it complete with touchup paint, chainstay protector and a new manual. Having put myself through college running shops for 9 years (I am not that bright) I have never seen customer service like this. F'ing awesome. BTW Santa Cruz will not even SELL their Nomad customers the new 142 rear ends and if you have a warranty issue they will be sending a 135 QR rear end if that is what you had originally.

BTW the shop, Cal Coast Bikes is just as good and deserves props as well. For anyone looking for an Ibis in Socal they have SL's, SLR's, HD's, and Tranny's in stock in almost every size. 4 of my friends bought from there as well and everyone had a great experience.

mtbr member
    That is excellent customer service!!!! And you're definitely right about SC.

aka dan51
    Their customer service ir pretty ****ing fantastic.
    Almost as fantastic as their bikes.
    Those who know, ride a Mojo AND a Mojo HD.
    Quadzilla
    Quote Originally Posted by benja55
    Ok, whatever, cold water on my bike boner right there.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
    Bought my HD last October and always had trouble aligning the rear brake. There was very limited adjustability due to low clearance between the top of the rotor and the caliper. I ended up putting a small spacer in to rectify the problem. The mounts still needed to be faced which I finally had done last week. .
    I bought my HD last July. I actually think I might have gotten the first production 142mm rear/direct mount FD frame. I got mine before I saw any reports on mtbr that they were out. I also have spacers on my brakes because the rotor was scraping the caliper. I never even thought about contacting ibis for this. I have not even faced mine yet and when I do, I'm sure it is gonna be worse. Maybe Hans will chime in for this. I got mine from wrench science not an lbs. it's been working so far but when building the bike and adjusting the brakes, I did notice a slight wobble from the caliper. I do get minor squealing and it might be from the alignment. My problem is I can't go without the bike for 2 weeks while shipping to and from.

Is this a common problem for these frames? Again maybe Hans will answer?

mtbr member
    I have not heard of this problem with any other frames so I don't think it is that common.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bpd131 View Post
    I bought my HD last July. I actually think I might have gotten the first production 142mm rear/direct mount FD frame. I got mine before I saw any reports on mtbr that they were out. I also have spacers on my brakes because the rotor was scraping the caliper. I never even thought about contacting ibis for this. I have not even faced mine yet and when I do, I'm sure it is gonna be worse. Maybe Hans will chime in for this. I got mine from wrench science not an lbs. it's been working so far but when building the bike and adjusting the brakes, I did notice a slight wobble from the caliper. I do get minor squealing and it might be from the alignment. My problem is I can't go without the bike for 2 weeks while shipping to and from.

You should contact CS directly. Hans may not see every post.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bpd131 View Post

Disc brakes are still a pretty fussy part of setting up a bike, though they are slowly getting better over the years. Generally we have not had many problems with HD disc brake mounts, but have replaced a few where the insert holds the mounting bolt at an obvious angle. The rest of the issues are primarily due to the tight clearances of setting up disc brakes and rotors that aren't completely flat etc.

H
    Hans
    Ibis Cycles, Inc.