mtbr member

Angleset Recommendation for HD3

I want to go with a -1 angleset for my HD3. Any recommendations and if anyone knows what size it would be greatly appreciated. I did check the Ibis website and couldn't find anything.

mtbr member
    the headtube for the HD3 is 44mm upper 56mm lower, so you just need a headset that fits that spec. here is a link to a compatible headset from Works Components in the UK (assuming you're running a tapered steerer fork, otherwise you need a different crown race).

1 0 Degree EC44 - ZS56 - To Suit Tapered Steerer Tube Forks

I used the Works headset on my HD and was fairly happy with it -- I went through bearings a little faster than I would've liked, but to be honest I had that problem with a standard/non-angleset Cane Creek 110 headset too. not sure if the CC Angleset's still have creaking issues like they seemed to have when they were first released, but overall people on the internets seem to be pretty happy with Works. I've got one in my box of parts waiting for my HD3 frame to arrive.

Your bike sucks
    I bought a Works 1 degree headset (1 1/8 EC tho). Install was easy enough. Haven't pushed it to know how it holds up - yet. Tall cups. Plain finish. Most surprising part for me, was how little 1 degree felt. Been on other, slacker bikes so I'm sure my perception was off but I was like "man, that's like nothing. still steep". As mentioned, the interwebz seems to like these over CC due to less creaking issues. oh and it took about 2 weeks or so to arrive from UK.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hardboiled View Post
    I've got one in my box of parts waiting for my HD3 frame to arrive.
    Ditto. (well, on order). -1* ZS44/ZS56. Just gotta make sure you buy the correct one for your HD3's head tube height.

Size Large (117mm HTH) uses the "Set 2" works headset, M uses "Set 1", XL uses "Set 4" and it appears they don't have one for the Small HD3 frame size (85mm HTH).
    '15 Ibis HD3
    {insert N+1 here}
    '13 SC Juliana 650b'd (wife's)

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
    I want to go with a -1 angleset for my HD3. Any recommendations and if anyone knows what size it would be greatly appreciated. I did check the Ibis website and couldn't find anything.
    Are you going to rest the Nomad and put some more hours on the HD3?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cmarshack View Post
    I think SP is going to get the Push 11-6 and ride the N3 even more

mtbr member
    More hours on the HD3 would be accomplished just by sitting on it in the garage so yes!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    The works components 1 seems to be very good had it for 6 months now with know issues

Alan

mtbr member
    More hours on the HD3 would be accomplished just by sitting on it in the garage so yes!
    Hey SP, did you ever post a full opinion/review of the HD3 vs. Nomad vs. all the other high end bike you have? I remember when everyone was clamoring for one but never saw it. Just curious; sounds like HD3 has not become your go-to, at least.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzanova View Post
    I think SP is going to get the Push 11-6 and ride the N3 even more
    This is the most likely scenario!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewBird View Post
    Hey SP, did you ever post a full opinion/review of the HD3 vs. Nomad vs. all the other high end bike you have? I remember when everyone was clamoring for one but never saw it. Just curious; sounds like HD3 has not become your go-to, at least.
    I have not, but I did contact MTBR about it.

My thought was that I would do completely independent reviews where I buy the frames myself and always run identical build kits with the exception of the fork travel. That way there would be no quid pro quo and I could post the true positives and negatives of each bike without any input from the manufacturers. I could also do this for individual components as well and integrate them into my build kit on my standard bike. I have two complete build kits with both sized dropper posts, just about every size of King headset etc so it would not be hard for me to accomplish. Kind of a Consumer Reports for MTB.

The response I got was interesting, they said they only test complete bikes that the manufacturers loan them which reinforced my idea that somebody needs to do this.

mtbr member
    I have not, but I did contact MTBR about it.

My thought was that I would do completely independent reviews where I buy the frames myself and always run identical build kits with the exception of the fork travel. That way there would be no quid pro quo and I could post the true positives and negatives of each bike without any input from the manufacturers. I could also do this for individual components as well and integrate them into my build kit on my standard bike. I have two complete build kits with both sized dropper posts, just about every size of King headset etc so it would not be hard for me to accomplish. Kind of a Consumer Reports for MTB.

The response I got was interesting, they said they only test complete bikes that the manufacturers loan them which reinforced my idea that somebody needs to do this.
    This is a great idea.
    The sooner the better.
    Would you mind sharing at least the main pros and cons of N3 and HD3?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by alan1 View Post
    The works components 1 seems to be very good had it for 6 months now with know issues

Alan
    That's the one WC recommened to me: "The headset we supply to fit your HD-3 is the EC44/ZS56 to suit tapered steerer - the upper cup needs to be external to allow the bearing to be offset."

It should arrive this week ... still waiting for the bike though...

mtbr member
    I ended up going with a ec cup lower. Although Its very slight, it kept my headtube height and bottom bracket as high as the regular geo but with the slack HA. Loving it!
    '15 Large Ibis Mojo HD3
    '14 Large Knolly Endorphin
    '08 Jamis Dakar Expert

the refurbished one
    how that? the intended geo is specd with a zs lower cup, isnt it?
    Sokrates is dead, Galilei is dead, Newton is dead, Einstein is dead, Pantani is dead and i am feeling sick too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hball View Post
    how that? the intended geo is specd with a zs lower cup, isnt it?
    Yep my rationale was if my fork length isn't going to change then with a 1 degree change to the head angle would cause my front end to not only slacken out but also lower down. That would also mean my bottom bracket height would come down ever so slightly. We are talking slight with a 1 degree angleset here. So to keep things high I went with an ec cup.
    '15 Large Ibis Mojo HD3
    '08 Jamis Dakar Expert

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by salespunk View Post
    i have not, but i did contact mtbr about it.

My thought was that i would do completely independent reviews where i buy the frames myself and always run identical build kits with the exception of the fork travel. That way there would be no quid pro quo and i could post the true positives and negatives of each bike without any input from the manufacturers. I could also do this for individual components as well and integrate them into my build kit on my standard bike. I have two complete build kits with both sized dropper posts, just about every size of king headset etc so it would not be hard for me to accomplish. Kind of a consumer reports for mtb.

The response i got was interesting, they said they only test complete bikes that the manufacturers loan them which reinforced my idea that somebody needs to do this.
    *like*

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Just bumping this thread to see if you ever got the angle set and what your thoughts are. But in another thread you eluded to possibly selling your HD3...so maybe ^ never happened.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I got a -1 degree on mine. It feels great! just a little extra for when the going gets steep. I have not seen any deminishing effects on the climbs. The bike is already an incredible climber so go figure right?

Just bumping this thread to see if you ever got the angle set and what your thoughts are. But in another thread you eluded to possibly selling your HD3...so maybe ^ never happened.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    '15 Large Ibis Mojo HD3
    '08 Jamis Dakar Expert

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by 06HokieMTB View Post
    Ditto. (well, on order). -1* ZS44/ZS56. Just gotta make sure you buy the correct one for your HD3's head tube height.

Size Large (117mm HTH) uses the "Set 2" works headset, M uses "Set 1", XL uses "Set 4" and it appears they don't have one for the Small HD3 frame size (85mm HTH).
    Can you confirm the set 4 for an XL HD3? Ibis says the head tube on the XL HD3 is 132 so shouldn't it be set 5?