mtbr member

Angleset lower bearing failure???

Been having a bad bit of luck with bikes.

Two weekends ago, I cracked the frame on my 2010 Marin Quake. That bike is used for park riding at Highland and sees 8 foot drops pretty regularly. No crash, just a huge crack in the frame up by the headtube. Frame is toast, out of warranty too!

This past weekend, I was riding my Mojo HD with Angleset, when the steering got really stiff. The headset made several noises like it was loose but seemed tight. After dropping off of a 3 foot rock, the headset made a thug and I felt the bars move. I headed home.

Removed the fork and found the lower headset bearing had come apart. The inner race pushed though and seperated the bearing. The seals and balls dropped to the floor (in a greasy mess).

Has anyone ever seen a headset bearing fail like this before? The lower bearing takes all of the load from the fork and should be sized appropriately so this type of thing doesn't happen. Is it a bad bearing? I had a spare and put everything back together, seems fine.

Thoughts?

MGS

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Cane Creek bearings are generally not up to the job. Mine have been replaced with Hope bearings that actually work and don't fall to peices like the cc's.

www.derbyrims.com
    I've only had headsets with poor or no seals fail from corrosion, and those were cheap OEM types. Never had a high end King or Cane Creek head set bearing fail. The high end seem to last many years for me, at least 5 years of frequent trail rides with rough rocky sections.

Over tightening could cause early failure. I don't have an Angleset. I've heard that the Angleset can creak, maybe over tightening to prevent creaking was the problem?

Seems like the 1.5 inch lower headset size bearing should hold up to big hits for more than a year. That's about the same diameter as external BB bearings, which in my case take sharp, un-suspended poundings from cranks hitting rocks occasionally almost every ride for about a year and a half before wearing out. Not sure, maybe the headset bearings don't have as big balls as a BB bearing. And the HS bearings don't spin either.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Typical in a overtightened headset. Just replace the bearing and tighten it properly.
    Either standard or special bearing should work ok. Differences worth only on a very long term use.

Mtb Guide
    The problem is with the CC angle set is to prevent the knocking or the gimball loosening you need to almost over-tighten it, lots of grease regularly and resetting the gimballs is what we did on my V10.

I was never really happy with it so I dropped in in favor of a std headset Chris King, I have had Hope headsets also and they have always been bullet proof so if Hope do a angle set Im sure its worth a try, otherwise maybe look at offset shock hardware like Burgtec.
    Its what I planned to do once I dialed in the inital setup.

mtbr member
    Yes it was tight, bars would stay in any position left. I would not call it over tight, they still moved freely.

The amount of load from preloading the headset bearings (share between top and bottom bearings) seems little compared to landing a 6+ foot drop where the fork bottoms out and load goes straight thru the bottom bearing.

I have done hundreds of those drops on FSA bearings and never had one fail, never had one even get rough!

Maybe it is time to dump the Angleset and go back to the standard system.

MGS