mtbr member
    Feb 2009

American Classic Hubs

Hi all....first post here in the forums...About to order up a Mojo SL with the WTF build. Pretty happy about the spec, but don't know too much about the American Classic hiubs and there are no real reviews on them here at MTBR....Seems like most people here have spec'd the Crank Bros, or various rims with Kings or Hopes...I'd love Kings, but if I order a WTF build, my choice is the American Classics--what are the thoughts/experiences with these? Might go Crank Brother's, but just not sure? Thanks for your input, hope to be posting some pix of the new whip soon!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by caravan2001
    Hi all....first post here in the forums...About to order up a Mojo SL with the WTF build. Pretty happy about the spec, but don't know too much about the American Classic hiubs and there are no real reviews on them here at MTBR....Seems like most people here have spec'd the Crank Bros, or various rims with Kings or Hopes...I'd love Kings, but if I order a WTF build, my choice is the American Classics--what are the thoughts/experiences with these? Might go Crank Brother's, but just not sure? Thanks for your input, hope to be posting some pix of the new whip soon!
    I just built some wheels for a friend using these hubs...

the 225 rear and 135 front I believe, which correlates to weights in grams.

they seemed of good quality to me. my friend likes them, no probs yet.

sorry I cannot give you more info, but I am sure you will be happy with them. they are a nice hub

mtbr member
    As far as I can tell (never ran them myself) they seem to be real XC type hubs and are very light but are not the most burly and don';t have a good rep of lasting a long time in extreme riding conditions.

Again, all second hand info

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Going down the exact dilemma. Was planning to go with Crank Brothers Cobalt in black, but they are back order at least month and half. Reviews also seem a little so so, especially when comes to noise and staying in true. I currently run Mavic Crossmax SLR and they have been great. Last summer did an endo and put a foot through a spoke. Mavic was not to bad on getting a new spoke within a week. My local shop thinks highly of Industry Nine Ultralight. Curious if anyone has thoughts on these. I weigh in at 175 at 6' 1", not sure if I am pushin' it. They offer some nice color combos.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Personally I like a louder hub- these are quiet--no bees nest chasing you...

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by info@mthome.com
    Going down the exact dilemma. Was planning to go with Crank Brothers Cobalt in black, but they are back order at least month and half. Reviews also seem a little so so, especially when comes to noise and staying in true. I currently run Mavic Crossmax SLR and they have been great. Last summer did an endo and put a foot through a spoke. Mavic was not to bad on getting a new spoke within a week. My local shop thinks highly of Industry Nine Ultralight. Curious if anyone has thoughts on these. I weigh in at 175 at 6' 1", not sure if I am pushin' it. They offer some nice color combos.
    I will be racing this season on Industry 9 UltraLite Race. I9 very nice!

175 should be fine for the wheels. They stand by their product

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Thanks for the info....I'll be down at the LBS tomorrow hooking up the mojo and let you know how it turns out...I might just order it complete from Ibis, or maybe I'll decide to build it up through the shop...only thing I am not sure about the WTF build is the wheelset....did not know the Cobalts came in black..that might be the ticket....the blue and red are too blingy for my taste, even though they look dope. I might prefer a more subtle wheel, even though performance is the greatest criteria, of course....

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Spoke to Industry Nine this morning. Sounds like a great company, similar small setup to Ibis. With reduced weight of their Ultralite wheels: http://www.industrynine.net/Ultralite looks like it might be a better choice then the Crankbrothers Colbalts. Industry Nine pointed out that their nipple design is less thus reducing the outer rotational weight. As for looks, nice choices in rim, spoke, and hub colors.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by info@mthome.com
    Spoke to Industry Nine this morning. Sounds like a great company, similar small setup to Ibis. With reduced weight of their Ultralite wheels: http://www.industrynine.net/Ultralite looks like it might be a better choice then the Crankbrothers Colbalts. Industry Nine pointed out that their nipple design is less thus reducing the outer rotational weight. As for looks, nice choices in rim, spoke, and hub colors.
    I9 are very nice, you will not regret them. I am sure cobalts are nice too...never had them

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Thanks for all the input all-- Just got back from the LBS and ordered the new SL! SO stoked....went for a custom build from the shop instead of the WTF direct from Ibis, so I ended up with Stans Arch rims, King hubs (front and back) and DT Swiss spokes....pretty stoked on that setup...Hopefully I'll be posting pics in the pic thread in the next two weeks....very fired up!