Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Proud bike-o-holic

Am I missing something here?

Hello all,

I just had my Mojo SL built so I have no experience with it so far but along with the flex issues which seem to be not an issue anymore, I have found two other subjects in which I think I need your input.

1.- Belly protectors. Why is there a tendendy to protect the belly of the frame? I know we all want to take care of our expensive frame, but Iīve had 2 other bikes and protecting their belly was not an issue. So my questions are: Does people simply like to protect their frames just for an aesthethic purpose? or are the carbon frames affected by rocks and there is a risk of damaging the frame at an estructural point so you better protect their belly?

2.- Chainsuck. What is that? a simple explanation about this would be appreciatted (non english speaking native here). Does everybody have to worry about this? or is it just for older models? or year of model has nothing to do with it?

Thanks in advance.

Marco

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    1. Belly Protectors - Almost entirely aesthetic. You don't "need" one to protect the structural inegrity of the frame. Just like any bike, you could break it in a hard enough fall/impact. But there is nothing about the carbon frame that requires a belly protector versus an aluminum one. Just more people who are paranoid about a little bit of clear coat chipping on carbon frames.

2. Chain suck - Occurs when your front chain ring picks up the chain and pulls/sucks it up between the chain rings and the chain stay so the chain is now above rather than below the chain stay. If you get it, it can be a major pain to get the chain back out because it took a lot of force from pedalling to pull it up. I have never had a problem, but I know some people have. I believe you can use spacers to move the chainrings further out which reduces the chance of the chain getting stuck when you get chainsuck.

Mojo0115
    Nov 2004
    I really don't think that the Mojo Classic or SL need the belly protectors. The carbon down near the bottom bracket is insanely strong! I can see it on the HD to protect the cabling, but for the Mojo the cables run along the side.

The only issues I have with Chain Suck on my Mojo are when my chain is old and needs lube or my Granny Gear teeth are worn and the ring needs replacement.

mtbr member
    here's a picture of chain suck:

Usually only happens when things are really muddy and/or the teeth on the chain ring are so worn that they become slightly hooked and don't want to let go of the chain.

I have a frameskin kit to protect the frame. I might consider a protector like the HD has only for when I ride places like Downieville---I'd probably remove it for my regular trails.
    我的镀铬光泽的冰柱一样,我骑在镇附近在我的低骑手自行车

Happy when not-last.
    I got the frameskin (belly protection, as well as the rest of the major surfaces) to protect the paint. I know the bike can take the abuse, but I don't want to constantly be filling in chips in the paint.

I'm not sure if it matters but I run 1x9 with a bash-guard. I can't remember the last time I had chain suck.
    All your base are belong to ME.

T.W.O.
    I agree that the frame protection is for more of the look than function needed. It does offer protection from rocks and pebbles. If you crash and hit the DT to a tree or big rock no plastic cover is going to prevent that, if the frame is going to crack it's going to happen. I don't recall that happen yet though. The frame is so strong.

As for chain suck, it happen sometime when you shift from the middle to the granny ring on the bumpy climb or more load putting on the crank. It had not happen to me for a while now. I don't put full power or heavy load to the crank when I shift, that's all. I think you get used to it.

I just converted one of my Mojo to 2x9 32-22 set up with stinger and bash guard and another Mojo stay triple but add the K-edge dirt catcher( more for the look) to my bike and went out for a few spin around the house. Trying to shift with pressure on the crank and so far so good. Will keep it posted.

Proud bike-o-holic
    Ok, thanks guys for the explanations. That chainsuck picture is very informative.
    Iīm going to put some frameskin on the belly (the frameīs, not mine :-) ) but now Iīm glad itīs only for looks and not structural purposes.

BTW, when you get a chainsuck, how do you return things to normal?

Regards

holding back the darkness
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Marco
    Well... typically you curse very loudly at the bicycle to prepare it for what is to come.
    Then you grab hold of the chain and pull. Hard. Ouch.
    In some situations it helps to compress suspension to open up a gap between the chainstay and the chainring while working the chain free.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Marco
    Ok, thanks guys for the explanations. That chainsuck picture is very informative.
    Iīm going to put some frameskin on the belly (the frameīs, not mine :-) ) but now Iīm glad itīs only for looks and not structural purposes.

Regards
    Depending on how bad the chainsuck is and how quickly you notice it, sometimes just peddling backwards half a turn will fix it. Sometimes the chain gets really jammed up between the frame and chain rings. Then it takes a little finesse and some brute strength. Having your chain grind against a carbon frame is not good. That's why they have the little metal bit there--just in case.

But if you change your chain/chainrings when they get worn, you may be able to avoid chainsuck altogether.
    我的镀铬光泽的冰柱一样,我骑在镇附近在我的低骑手自行车

Proud bike-o-holic
    OMG I didnīt see this coming!!!

The cursing tip is a good one!. Ok, I hope I wonīt ever have a chainsuck but at least now I know what to do in such case.

regards

_____
    Jul 2007
    If you ride rocky trails like I do then I would recommend a good belly protector/bash guard like the one for the new HD (it also fits a standard Mojo). Check out what a rock did to the bottom bracket of my six month old SL. IBIS says I need a new front triangle and it is not covered by the warranty. However, I've put several rides on the bike since then and everything feels tight

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Am I missing something here?-img_1291_small.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Why on earth would a rock strike be covered by the warranty? Use the crash replacement offered by Ibis and be happy.

Also, a good belly protector shouldn't be too hard to make. Just take a solid sheet of aluminum or steel, drill two holes and then bend it to make it follow the frame tightly

boardguru
    Oct 2009
    Go to go-ride.com, in the accessory section. Down Tube Guard. I have a diamond plate version on my Mojo. Not a problem yet in four years, plus it looks gnarlier than the Ibis plastic protector.
    It has taken some really big hits from rocks that would have made the down tube look like SiO2's.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by n0uD'nt
    By honoring this particular customers request, it would show that Ibis has confidence in their design. The only reason that they would not honor it, IMO, is because they expect that this will not be an infrequent occurance. Why else would they protect the DT straight from the factory?

Given the debate about the durability of carbon, Ibis would be shooting themselves in the foot. I've put dings in an alum DT where the results were far from catastrophic. As a matter of fact I don't think I have ever seen an Aluminum frame put out of commission due to a DT strike.
    So what you are saying is that Ibis should replace all carbon damage caused by riders just to attract those who still haven't understood the benefits of carbon fiber? I really cannot understand why Ibis should be replacing a frame for free when it's the rider who has faulted.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Lopes linkage can load up

Ive had my SL since Nov 09 use tape, made a belly protector and fender. Dw link can load up with mud and rocks. Under lopes link carbon bump can get chewed up. Its really up to U how much protection or non at all.. Wifes Pivot mach 5 DW link also I put a small fender to keep away mud and rocks. I found attached link and modeled mine after this. Ended up useing a heat gun from work ( Industrial Hair dryer for shrink wrap etc ) to curl lower edge all th way around lower triangle covering area by serial number.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...44347#poststop

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    But what makes this crack any different from other cracks coming from crashes? The Mojo SL isn't delivered with a DT protector, in the same way as it isn't delivered with for example a head tube protector (whatever that would be). With your reasoning, anything that isn't protected should be covered by warranty, even if it is 100% the riders fault. I think the owner of that Mojo should be very happy that Ibis has a decent crash replacement program, so it shouldn't be too expensive to have the main triangle replaced.

If that had been a light aluminum frame, I'm pretty sure it would be fubar as well.

mtbr member
    May 2007

ouch!

Quote Originally Posted by SiO2
    If you ride rocky trails like I do then I would recommend a good belly protector/bash guard like the one for the new HD (it also fits a standard Mojo). Check out what a rock did to the bottom bracket of my six month old SL. IBIS says I need a new front triangle and it is not covered by the warranty. However, I've put several rides on the bike since then and everything feels tight

How exactly did you do that? What is the cost of the front triangle under the crash replacement warranty?
    I hate to see that, it makes my stomach turn

_____
    Jul 2007
    My riding area in the Phoenix Mountain Preserve is covered entirely by rocks and lots of them. It makes the surface of Mars look like a golf course. I never have to worry about mud because there is no soil on the trail, just sand an rocks. It is very hard on bikes. Check out the down tube from an old steel frame I rode for years. I am recommending that people who ride rocks and own a high end bike get a down tube protector, regardless of the frame material. I am new to carbon and ibis and full suspension bikes. I carry a lot more speed with full suspension then I ever did on my hard tails. More speed = more energy = more force from the rocks hitting my down tube. I am learning what is required to properly armor a FS bike for my specific riding area. Will I buy a new ibis? Yes, but with a strong down tube guard.

http://gallery.mtbr.com/uploads/mtbr...1337_small.jpg

Mal Ad Osteo
    I didn't say ALL did I?

This particular instance should be warrantied. Especially since they are now offering DT protection as a stock "accessory".
    So only you should be getting it replaced

_____
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmyj1973
    How exactly did you do that? What is the cost of the front triangle under the crash replacement warranty?
    I hate to see that, it makes my stomach turn
    I get rock strikes all of the time from the loose rocks that litter my trail. Every once in a while my front tire will hook one just right and throw it into my down tube. I don't give it much thought because it happens so often. I found this one when I was cleaning my bike.

A new front triangle under crash warranty is $450 plus tax and shipping.

Proud bike-o-holic
    Hey, sh$t happens. I wouldnīt expect Ibis to warranty all frames under any crash circumstances.
    BTW, that is a fugly hole in your frame!, but I would happily pay 450 + tax and shipping to get a new one. THat doesnīt sound too bad IMHO.
    Getting the DT protector sounds like a good idea though

Regards

Slothful dirt hippie
    Quote Originally Posted by boardguru
    Go to go-ride.com, in the accessory section. Down Tube Guard. I have a diamond plate version on my Mojo. Not a problem yet in four years, plus it looks gnarlier than the Ibis plastic protector.
    It has taken some really big hits from rocks that would have made the down tube look like SiO2's.
    Can you post up a pic of your lashup? Sounds interesting.

JMO: while I'd love to get a free front triangle if mine looked like that, I don't know if I could blame Ibis for wanting some $$$ for a replacement. From here it looks like a head-on collision with a rock at pretty high speed. And FWIW I'd think an aluminum frame wouldn't have fared well with a hit that hard either... but... I'm no expert. Anything is possible I suppose.
    "...Some local fiend had built it with his own three hands..."

aka übermensch
    Especially since they are now offering DT protection as a stock "accessory".
    Maybe I'm missing something here, but I thought the point of the polycarbonate downtube protector on the HD was primarily for the purpose of protecting the exposed cables, and secondarily to help protect the paint from rocks kicked up by your front tire.

I don't think it's been mentioned anywhere that this downtube protector will keep your frame from being damaged during a crash.

I bought one for my SL because even though I have Fishboy's frameskin kit, I like the idea of additional paint protection in that area, not because I expect it to keep my frame from being damaged from a high impact crash.
    08 Ibis Mojo SL
    09 Ibis Tranny SingleSpeed

Church of the Wheel
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple T
    Maybe I'm missing something here, but I thought the point of the polycarbonate downtube protector on the HD was primarily for the purpose of protecting the exposed cables, and secondarily to help protect the paint from rocks kicked up by your front tire.

I don't think it's been mentioned anywhere that this downtube protector will keep your frame from being damaged during a crash.

I bought one for my SL because even though I have Fishboy's frameskin kit, I like the idea of additional paint protection in that area, not because I expect it to keep my frame from being damaged from a high impact crash.
    Exactly right. The plastic protector on the HD is NOT a downtube protector. It is there expressly to protect the cables that run under the downtube. It is a cable guard. Anything beyond that is a bonus.
    "I thought you'd never love me without my Mojo." -Austin Powers

gnuH
    Quote Originally Posted by mtb143
    Exactly right. The plastic protector on the HD is NOT a downtube protector. It is there expressly to protect the cables that run under the downtube. It is a cable guard. Anything beyond that is a bonus.
    Why do you need a cable guard? They are pretty robust themselves.
    A green bird with a red body. We could look it up in a book. Or we could look up

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast