mtbr member

for all of you hoping for the return of Ibis as we knew it...

NOT!

NO STEEL?!?!?!

CARBON FIBER??!?!?!

www.ibisbicycles.com/mountain/

Ahhhhh Crap! I am totally disappointed. While I am sure this is one sweet ride, and all it is just not what I was hoping for.

Maybe eventually something familiar will come, but this is not the Ibis I remember
    THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Kam
    A hopped on pop.
    cr@p....that's what i was waiting for???

man.

let's see;
    26" wheels + carbon frame + 5.5" of travel = yuck

just my personal opinion.

as far as the carbon roadie thing goes....just a dime a dozen i think.

beautiful stuff for sure, but it just doesn't tickle my fancy.

oh well. i'll just keep drooling over all those sweet frames coming out of desalvo, wily and black sheep cycles.
    Last edited by Kam; 09-28-2005 at 05:42 PM.

jl
    climb
    OrBikBld,

How about adding some 29"er content?

mtbr member
    this topic was brought up before in this 29er forum (about the rebirth of Ibis) and I think many including me had hoped for some 29er'ish. So I am sorry if this one post did not contain a reference to a 29er explicitly. It was the lack of any reference to the old Ibis that was striking to me in these new offerings and to others I would think in this forum who:

-remember the old Ibis in the days when there were really only 26 inch mtb's

-love the feel of steel and ti that the old 26 Ibis bikes had

-hoped for a similar return to that type of bike

-and hoped for it in a 29er option.

I think that an occasional non 29er post is warranted in cases like this because of the importance that Ibis had in its former glory to all MTBers in times past. This new version of Ibis seems to be a total change from what the old was all about from the first two bikes they are going to market.

So while this thread did not at first glance have any 29er content, I think that it would be of interest to many (though, not you apparently, jl ) that frequent this board.

I do not visit the other forums much, and I think others may be like me and mainly only go to this page. Also seeing as though I first learned about the return of Ibis about a month or so ago in this 29er forum, I figured it would be a good place to continue news of the companies first release and that No 29ers are included in the line.
    THIS SPACE FOR RENT

jl
    climb
    Thanks! ... Please, don't take me too seriously...

Good ibis thread over there...

THE Titanium Gods are back: Ibis Cycles are back

Harmonius Wrench

Looking forward

I don't think Ibis wanted to re-invent the past. I think they wanted to place themselves at the cutting edge of design. Today, that means carpet fibre, trail bikes, and road bike madness. I look at Ibis as a start up company with somebody's old name, regardless of the fact that Scot Nichol is part of it. They have to sell a lot of product, product that is pecieved as sexy, different, and cutting edge. Did they do it? I don't know. I do know that a steel, hardtail 29 inch Ibis Mojo would not have fit that mold. They are going where they percieve the big bucks are at. Today, that's not a steel bike. It's not even a titanium bike. 29 incher, well maybe. Give 'em a little time. Maybe they'll do one in carpet fibre for ya'all! Just my point of view!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Ted
    I don't think Ibis wanted to re-invent the past. I think they wanted to place themselves at the cutting edge of design. Today, that means carpet fibre, trail bikes, and road bike madness. I look at Ibis as a start up company with somebody's old name, regardless of the fact that Scot Nichol is part of it. They have to sell a lot of product, product that is pecieved as sexy, different, and cutting edge. Did they do it? I don't know. I do know that a steel, hardtail 29 inch Ibis Mojo would not have fit that mold. They are going where they percieve the big bucks are at. Today, that's not a steel bike. It's not even a titanium bike. 29 incher, well maybe. Give 'em a little time. Maybe they'll do one in carpet fibre for ya'all! Just my point of view!

then WHY, WHY call it IBIS with all the history that it has and then have nothing in common? Can I have just some product that links the old with the new? I guess not. Ibis moron tubing? Nope. Sweet Steel? Nope. Sweet Ti? Nope. Softtail Ripley-type bike? Nope. XC? Nope. Just some freeride/trail bike with over 5 inches of travel made in China. It may ride sweet, But if I want cheap Carbon fiber, I think others like Giant do it very well. At least they could have had something ti or steel along with it.
    THIS SPACE FOR RENT

bike geek
    Not what I'd expect from Ibis, but not too bad either, really. Carbon road bikes a dime a dozen now? So were steel hardtails back in the day when Ibis was at the top of their game. They just did it differently, and better. I'd give both of those new bikes of theirs a look, and I don't even like carbon.

Fact is, both of those bikes are straight at today's most mainstream customer. That's what they need to do to get some traction back. Then, down the road, they can diversify and offer niche products for the rest of us. I mean look at Niner. As far as we knew, they were offering a single product...a Scandium SS 29er. Cool, but talk about a small niche. Now look. We've got the SIR 9 coming (very sweet frame IMO), and potentially a FS 29er. Not to mention a nice flat bar, and a rigid fork. Start-ups, both of which Ibis and Niner are regardless of their pedigree, need to focus on a couple products early, then branch out as they progress. Too many offerings from the get go would require a huge capital outlay that they most surely cannot afford right now. It's just a simple marketing strategy.

So be happy with what they're bringing now, even if it's not right up your alley, because no doubt Ibis will sell lots of each of them, which will bring profits, and pave the way for a fancy 29er down the road. That's my prediction at least.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

I think it also symbolises the power of the Camelbak...

... because I can't see how you can attach a water bottle mount to that frame...

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Not completely out of character...

I too was a bit disappointed with the new offerings. I had really hoped for a 29" ripley with an ebb or sliding dropouts. Sort of a do it all 29er.

Remember however, that Ibis was pioneering titanium back in the day. When everybody was jumping on the titanium bandwagon, they were making huge progress with internally butted tubesets and high quality products. Look at the Ti Road - the tapered chainstays on that bike are a thing of beuaty. And a Ti mojo can still fetch big dollars - you rarely see one for sale.

So, maybe the new Ibis isn't that different in that they are pushing the material limits once again. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. Even though carbon has never really been my thing.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by OrBikbldr
    then WHY, WHY call it IBIS with all the history that it has and then have nothing in common?
    It has everything in common. IBIS killed itself with ridiculous, overpriced, poorly conceived bikes like the Szazbo, Ripley and (gack!) Bow Ti. Nichol was building trendy expensive crap all along, including a titanium lugged carbon thing in the 80s. The Scorcher and Mojo were great but the rest were baubles for bike collectors.

giddy up!
    I'm dissapointed but I didn't expect anything less. Ibis is no longer the company that we once loved. Scott Nichol is involved in a ceremonial way....I believe as a consultant or something along those lines.....they just brought him back to lend some credibility to the name.

In reality though....for the last several years that Ibis was around they weren't building many of their bikes....it was all Carl Strong and/or DEAN doing the work. Soo, I guess in that sense you CAN still get an Ibis:-)

A 29er ripley/fango would be cool though. I think Castellano will see the market for it sooner or later.

B
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    sadly, i do not see where there any limits being pushed whatsoever.

where is the innovation ?

an ibis used to be something trully special, the sort of bike you REALLY wished you could get. or, if you got one you knew it was unique. this held true over all else during the heyday, all the way from the early fillet brazed bikes thru the tandem years and into the ti ones.

i look at that road bike, and ask myself - "why ??" why get that, over a cervelo, or even a giant. there is no answer. it did not used to be that way, the old ibis SCREAMED reasons for you to lust after one.

the mtn bike . . . . well so we have another 5 in travel all mtn bike. again, what makes you lust after that over a turner, or the new intense ? nothing i can see, and if anything it sorta reminds me of something like that silly ferrari mtn bike from a few years back, gaudy and ostentatious and out of touch.

i do not see where these bikes offer really any reason at all to rush out to own one, whatsoever. very disappointing, i am very sad to say.

good luck to them, they seem like nice fellows. were i a dealer, tho, it would be a very tough sell to me to even want to pick them up. there is no reason for a buyer to actually to buy one. man, i can't beleive i said that, but there it is. dang, had they come out with a no-nonsense 29er, maybe SS built and priced just tick upscale from the niner, say, they would be KILLING it. these are bikes you might see in a shop window in a glitzy shop someplace. . . the old ibis was seen under hard-cores. bummer.
    Last edited by mon t; 09-29-2005 at 09:01 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    i am getting a strong, partly for that reason, maybe.

mebee i'll get it p-coated in the old two-tier ibis fade, as a tribute . . .

mtbr member
    This old thread is great. Everyone wishing Ibis was remaking their old models (which they now are!) and hating on the Mojo.

aka dan51
    Quote Originally Posted by CarbonFiberFootprint
    This old thread is great. Everyone wishing Ibis was remaking their old models (which they now are!) and hating on the Mojo.
    Good find. I'm not familiar with the older Ibis bikes, so for me I'm feeling the same way about their new bikes, that these guys were feeling about the old bikes many years ago. They are top notch and the best looking bikes on the market too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    ...People thought they were getting a good fork because it was a "fox".

Unpredictable
    Agreed. Strange how that out of touch Mojo made Dirt mag's top 100 (items of MTB kit) last month. That's > 2 years after it was released too. It was included in the frame section as "King of Carbon". Also cool to see it was not the SL, but the "original" Mojo. Ibis kicks butt.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Ibis Mojo 29er: 2010 Interbike's Best of Show Winner

2010 Ibis Mojo 29er. I really like the way that sounds for some reason.
    Some key features will be: 1.25/1.5 IS headset with carbon cups, BB 30, 5 lb frame !!!! and 4" of travel.
    Hey, if Chris could do it right out of the gate at Pivot with the 429er, I Know Ibis can AND WILL next year.
    Pivot's 429 is great engineering but to do it as a carbon fiber Moj, that is off the charts engineering wise.
    http://www.pivotcycles.com/mach429_story.php
    Last edited by ghawk; 01-31-2009 at 05:17 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Old school vs. New school is what it all comes down to. I myself personally would rather PAY MONEY for new technology on a bike that is cutting edge rather than ride something that looks old and doesn't keep up with all my riding partners bikes(whether it is Specialized,Santa Cruz,Intense,......) on the way up AND down. I'm sure the majority of retail paying customers would have to agree and that's what will keep a business as well as a brand alive is the retail paying consumer PERIOD! Just my .02

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Wow, why did someone revive a 3 year old thread, Oo
    07 Giant Anthem 2 (Int'l Edition) | omartan.co.cc
    Im a MOJO Fanboy