Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 131920212223
Results 1,101 to 1,144 of 1144
    mtbr member
    Yep, I use a shimano Pro Components tool bottle and a cheap nylon Specialized cage. The cage works great, and while I've never had a problem with this setup, the bottle makes me a little nervous because sometimes the lid pops off unexpectedly.

I did lose a bottle with a treasure trove of tools & small parts a couple years ago using one of the TacX bottles....so they're off the list too. I haven't found the perfect bottle yet, but the Pro is pretty good.

All Ibis Mojo SL (Super Light) Bike Builds Here!-mojo-derby-lo-res.jpg

mtbr member

Re: All Ibis Mojo SL (Super Light) Bike Builds Here!

Quote Originally Posted by trap121 View Post
    About to place an order for a 650b derby for my SL, front only .

Does anyone know if a butcher control would fit on there ? Any other tires besides nevegals? I have a 2012 fox 32 fork
    I run Hans Dampf 2,25 Trailstar and it fit's very well. I have 2011 fox talas

Enviado desde mi GT-I9300 mediante Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by damianw View Post
    Hi all, I'm just building up an SL, and i'm wondering, do any of you run a toolkit on the water bottle mount under the downtube? I am not putting a bottle down there, and would love to see some ideas about how to mount a little toolkit there. Anyone? Pics of by build as the parts of my frame get put back together, and components start arriving or getting stripped of my dear stumpy.
    I'm on a Ripley now and put my multi tool there. Check out my pics on the Ripley thread.
    A bicycle will take you to fantastic places....if you let it.

Ibis fan since '08 now rolling on the big wheeled Ripley.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by doismellbacon View Post
    Yep, I use a shimano Pro Components tool bottle and a cheap nylon Specialized cage. The cage works great, and while I've never had a problem with this setup, the bottle makes me a little nervous because sometimes the lid pops off unexpectedly.

I did lose a bottle with a treasure trove of tools & small parts a couple years ago using one of the TacX bottles....so they're off the list too. I haven't found the perfect bottle yet, but the Pro is pretty good.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mojo Derby lo res.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	272.7 KB 
ID:	896707
    Are you running 650b on front and rear? If so, how is it? Any adjustments to the suspension?

mtbr member

All Ibis Mojo SL (Super Light) Bike Builds Here!

Can anyone tell me what or if I need to shim my rp23 shock to run a 2.1 650b neo moto in the rear. Will a Derby wide rim fit the back of an SL or should I get a stans?

mtbr member
    Sorry guys. I'm leaving the clan. Bike up on pinkbike user name "skellz"
    Gonna miss it but hopefully I've made the right choice.
    Last edited by skellz; 06-03-2014 at 04:08 PM.
    Ibis Hd3
    2002? MountainCycle San Andreas

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by trap121 View Post
    Can anyone tell me what or if I need to shim my rp23 shock to run a 2.1 650b neo moto in the rear. Will a Derby wide rim fit the back of an SL or should I get a stans?
    Hey trap....I was about to make a smartass comment that you should look at the post right before yours with a picture of a 650b Derby SL....then realized that was you asking me the question...Sorry I missed it!!...not sure how, as much time as I spend on here.

Yes, that's 650b front and rear with Derbys. A Neo Moto 2.1 will fit back there really well unless you're riding in sticky mud, then you're better off staying 26" in the back. The wide rim doesn't really change the tire shape in a way that makes much difference for tread clearance....just gets a lot wider down low around the bead which stabilizes the tire and allows much lower pressures.

Search for a post by Derby from a few years ago about "Mojo 650b" and you'll find lots of info about how to skin this cat. What I did was buy a package of thin nylon washers from Home Depot with a 3/8" ID. You can snip them with wire cutters and they'll snap snugly onto the shaft of your shock. You should make the final call on how many to install....keep adding them until you can't bottom the tire against the seat tube with ALL air removed from the shock and some weight on it....I think mine took 3 - 3.5 mm of spacers. Bear in mind that in a real world bottom out situation there will be some frame flex too, so if you set it up for 1mm tire clearance in the garage, you'll likely get some tire rub in real world conditions. What will rub first is your front der. cable, so if you're running 1x it makes for a quieter setup when you're hitting drops.... the tire buzzing the cable is no big deal, but it makes a fairly unsettling noise. While you've got the air can off your shock to put the washers in there, add a volume reduction shim from Fox to make the shock more progressive and supportive in the midstroke.

The bike rolls and climbs better w/ 650b rear wheel, but is a little tall (355 mm bb height on mine, aka 14" ) so loses a little bit of the Mojo's native corner carving feel. My favorite setup is with an offset shock bushing to drop the bb back down, which requires more shock shimming, so you're getting into the 120-125mm rear travel with this setup, but it handles better like that. If I was climbing long boring fire roads and descending all day, I'd stay with 140mm / 26" rear, w/ 140 650b up front...that's the shizz...but for my techy climbing the big wheel in back really helps.

650b up front is a no-brainer on this bike....better in every way.
    Last edited by doismellbacon; 06-20-2014 at 11:23 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Mojo SL build

My build can start just as soon as these bits get back from the anodisers...

Untitled by damian welch, on Flickr

CAN'T WAIT!!!!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

CAN'T WAIT!!!!!
    This is going to be good!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I hope so, if i can get everything back in the right place and functioning :-)

Sadly it means by old friend Stumpy is on ebay as this is a one in one out purchase. But, the Ibis, having read all 45 pages, is a brilliant bike. I've learned a lot from reading you masters and your builds.

I wanted to get green decals, but no response from the places i've tried yet. I am going for a green fork as well. My inspiration was my DeRosa

De Rosa King 3 Rock Racing by damian welch, on Flickr

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Ok, slight progress, all around busy job, 7 week old baby and biking 4 year old...

Fork will be painted/ wrapped, and I'm afraid, yes, the cables and hoses are green too. Obviously being a mojo it's not all about the lime green, i am building it to ride, but as it's my dream mtb, i've gone for it a bit, at least within my budget.

mtbr member

CAN'T WAIT!!!!!

OOOOH LOOOKEY! ......SHIIIINY!

I've got an extra set of links I've been wanting to try a DIY gold anno job on....but maybe I should just find a pro to do it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Awesome job :) Just a question regarding the links: how does one remove the bearings without scratching the links themselves? Any special tools recommended?

Cheers :)

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    That's the good bit- no tools. The links came out unscratched. Some of my bearings did need pressing, but on the top link they just fell into place. I had a really hard time getting the bottom link back on, not sure if others have too. But, an easy job that excepted.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crossmaxx View Post
    Awesome job Just a question regarding the links: how does one remove the bearings without scratching the links themselves? Any special tools recommended?

Cheers
    With a bench vise and assorted sizes of sockets you can press most of them in and out. If you have the later version of the links (which are worth getting if you don't...they stiffen up the rear end) the lower/front/NDS bearing is more tricky to press out because of the shape of the link surrounding the bearing. No problem pressing a new one in however.

Damian, your bearings are dropping in easily probably because the stripping and reannodizing removes a tiny bit of material and opens up the tolerances a little bit, which may not be a bad thing. Mine are so tight that they make brand new Enduro bearings feel notchy.

I'm actually going to a machine shop in the next couple days for work stuff and I'm going to take a set of links to them and see if he can machine me up a nice brass or alum set of press tools custom for the Mojo links. This guy's a super stud machinist, and very reasonably priced. If it all works out I may have him make a few sets to share with MTBR Mojo'ers who want some.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by doismellbacon View Post
    I'm actually going to a machine shop in the next couple days for work stuff and I'm going to take a set of links to them and see if he can machine me up a nice brass or alum set of press tools custom for the Mojo links. This guy's a super stud machinist, and very reasonably priced. If it all works out I may have him make a few sets to share with MTBR Mojo'ers who want some.
    I'd be very interested in this. Are you thinking of some sort of dual purpose tool (both extracting and inserting)?

mtbr member
    Yes, exactly. I've done it several times using the ghetto socket set route, and it works well enough on all the bearings but one....but something with guide pins and just the right dims would make it sooooo much easier and more reliable...I'm crossing my fingers that it will be pretty cheap....will post back within the next week or two.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I'll be checking this thread frequently then

mtbr member
    Cool ... might be a couple weeks. I'm going to try to get to the machinist today, but I have not idea what his schedule is atmo.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I'm definitely interested in this, great idea! Even with a press the bottom link was hard and a custom tool would be very useful, count me in if there is a set of tools planned.

mtbr member
    Update on bearing press tools. The machinist told me that the tool I was envisioning, while do-able and would work well, would require a lot of time on the lathe and he'd have to charge me $350-400.....WHOA NELLY. He suggested an alternative of cutting out the inner race from my spent bearings and using the remaining outer race as the press...he's thinking welding that race to some tubing with the proper length & diameter to make the complete tool. He wasn't too excited about tinkering with this while he's got multiple 4-figure hot rod engine jobs stacked up.... so I left him one of my sets of links and bearings and he's going to get to it when he gets to it..... we shall see.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Finished! In as much as it rides (beautifully) and is at last an actual bike. Still a few cosmetics to get right, but before that, I need to get out and really ride this thing!

All Ibis Mojo SL (Super Light) Bike Builds Here!-15313354436_bee3937c0a_z.jpgAll Ibis Mojo SL (Super Light) Bike Builds Here!-15336076602_4cf55ef33e_z.jpg

DILLIGAF
    Came out great damianw!!

GMV
    mtbr member
    Old school geometry/drivetrain/wheelsize + some new bits and pieces = still a lot of fun!

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Is that a renthal bar there GMV? Do you know what you build weighs in at? With dropper post and all?

GMV
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lubb1 View Post
    Is that a renthal bar there GMV? Do you know what you build weighs in at? With dropper post and all?
    Hi lubb1. Yes that is a renthal fatbar lite. Weight is 27.03 lbs.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Looks good. What length stem are you running?
    Weight with pedals or without?

GMV
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lubb1 View Post
    Looks good. What length stem are you running?
    Weight with pedals or without?
    Thanks! 35mm stem. Haven't actually weighed it without pedals. I'm running spank spike flat pedals (400 grams = 0.8818 lbs). Without pedals, it should weigh around 26.14 lbs more or less.

Cheers!

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by GMV View Post
    Old school geometry/drivetrain/wheelsize + some new bits and pieces = still a lot of fun!

What fork is that? Pike? If so, what did you do to use a taper steerer?

GMV
    mtbr member
    @trap121 it's a 140mm revelation rct3 solo air. Unfortunately, pike only comes in tapered steerer.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Finished! In as much as it rides (beautifully) and is at last an actual bike. Still a few cosmetics to get right, but before that, I need to get out and really ride this thing!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	15313354436_bee3937c0a_z.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	265.6 KB 
ID:	925941Click image for larger version. 

Name:	15336076602_4cf55ef33e_z.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	262.7 KB 
ID:	925942
    That turned out great. You can clean up the cable routing like this.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails All Ibis Mojo SL (Super Light) Bike Builds Here!-img_4512_1.jpg  

All Ibis Mojo SL (Super Light) Bike Builds Here!-img_1563_1.jpg  

mtbr member

New cable routing

[QUOTE=xc71;That turned out great. You can clean up the cable routing like this.[/QUOTE]

This is my upgrade.

I want to try a Pike 650b Dual Position, someone has changed the tapered tube?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails All Ibis Mojo SL (Super Light) Bike Builds Here!-img-20141107-wa0002.jpg  

All Ibis Mojo SL (Super Light) Bike Builds Here!-img-20141107-wa0003.jpg  

All Ibis Mojo SL (Super Light) Bike Builds Here!-img-20141111-wa0007.jpg  

All Ibis Mojo SL (Super Light) Bike Builds Here!-img-20141111-wa0008.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Have any of you good folks measured the reach on you SLs? Tried to ask Ibis a while back, but they didnt know.

mtbr member

@trap121 it's a 140mm revelation rct3 solo air. Unfortunately, pike only comes in tapered steerer.
    How do you like the 140? I have a 150 float 32 that I want to replace. Not sure if the 10mm would be a big difference?? Not many options for straight steerer.

GMV
    mtbr member
    @trap121 - I like it a lot. I'm coming from a 140 XFusion Velvet and as against the XF, the rev feels more plush (in the open setting) and stiffer. I like the adjustability (Motion Control and LSC). It's also lighter than the XF and the black stanchions look really good. I feel like I'm on a new bike and I'll probably stick it out with the SL for at least a year (HD3 is already calling...).

I agree with you. Not many options for straight steerer. Cheers.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Hi, just wondering if someone is using his Mojo SL for enduro racing, If so, what setup do you have?

mtbr member
    @trap121 - I like it a lot. I'm coming from a 140 XFusion Velvet and as against the XF, the rev feels more plush (in the open setting) and stiffer. I like the adjustability (Motion Control and LSC). It's also lighter than the XF.
    I found the exact same things to be true between the Velvet and Revelation. Velvet's a great fork, especially when you can get them in the $300 range! But the revelation is a little better in all the ways you listed... Truly great fork, IMO, that seems to get overlooked a lot these days.

All Ibis Mojo SL (Super Light) Bike Builds Here!-mojo-rev.jpg
    All Ibis Mojo SL (Super Light) Bike Builds Here!-mojo-derby-lo-res.jpg

The Mojo SL in enduro? Sure, why not. It won't be as capable when things are really fast, furious, and chunky as some of the newer long travel bikes that will be stiffer and slacker. If I were going to enduro the SL, I'd set it up 27.5" front with a 140 or 150 revelation, and 140mm rear with a 26" wheel. That will slacken things our nicely without jacking the bb height up too high.
    EDIT... If you're looking to buy a new bike, things have progressed in the last few years and you could get a more capable enduro racer for sure. But if you've already got an SL, or have a chance to buy one at a screaming price, and want a fun all around trail bike that you can also do the occasional amateur level enduro race on, it's up to the challenge. It wasn't very long ago that Brian Lopes was winning races in Whistler on a std Mojo

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    [QUOTE=But if you've already got an SL, or have a chance to buy one at a screaming price, and want a fun all around trail bike that you can also do the occasional amateur level enduro race on, it's up to the challenge. It wasn't very long ago that Brian Lopes was winning races in Whistler on a std Mojo [/QUOTE]

So much true about Lopes , and yes, that's exactly what I am looking for.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Have a Medium 2012 SL in great shape for sale if you're interested. Could sell frame only, frame/fork (150 Revelation), or complete

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by dsandros View Post
    Have a Medium 2012 SL in great shape for sale if you're interested. Could sell frame only, frame/fork (150 Revelation), or complete

Thank you, I Already have the SL, only looking what upgrades to make, in order to be a little more aggressive.

mtbr member
    It will climb moderately faster, and better on rocky tech climbs, with a 650b rear wheel, but then you have to limit your rear travel and the bb height makes it less carve-y, but good for pedaling through low speed rocky tech.
    If you really want to throw some extra mojo at your mojo, a set of Derby rims (or other wide carbon rim of your choice) 26" rear, 27.5 front, with a through bolt rear hub like Hope, Hadley, DT.... that's SUCH A FUN SETUP. I kept my SL in the family (as above in the 2nd picture....17th birthday present for my son), so I still jump on it every now and then. The HDR650b beats it for steady composure in high speed chunk, but the SL has a fun lively feel that to this day is unmatched on any other bike I've ridden. Everytime jr and I do a ride, at some point in the first mile he always says something like "Gawd! This bike if SOOOO awesome!" Plus it's still the best looker of all Mojo variants, IMO.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Damn, this thread hasn't been posted in for almost one and a half year! Well, here is my Mojo SL, still going very strong:

Frame: Ibis Mojo SL size M - 2214.2 g
    Shock: DT Swiss XR Carbon - 186.7 g
    Fork: Rock Shox Revelation Solo Air (140 mm, 185.5 mm steer tube) - 1651.4 g
    Headset: Cane Creek IS110 integrated - 93.2 g
    Handlebar: NewUltimate EVO riser bar (700 mm) - 128.0 g
    Grips: ESI Extra Chunky (cut to 100 mm, incl. end caps) - 65.6 g
    Stem: Extralite HyperStem (80 mm, 6°) - 69.0 g
    Seatpost: YEP Components Uptimizer ST dropper post (31,6/125 mm drop, incl. remote and cables) - 572.2 g
    Improvised dropper post mud guard: Piece of inner tube - 11.9 g
    Saddle: Tune Speedneedle (front leather worn off) - 95.2 g
    Shifter: Shimano XTR M980 (10sp) with Hope Tech matchmaker - 99.9 g
    Cable set: Shimano SIS SP-41 full length (housing stops on frame drilled out) w. Shimano steel cable - 64.5 g
    Rear Derailleur: Shimano XTR M986 GS - 211.3 g
    Crankset: Shimano XTR M970 (170mm) with Carbon-Ti Titanium 30T (104 BCD) and Wolf Tooth 26-30T bash guard - 612.5 g
    Bottom bracket: Shimano XTR SM-BB93 (without plastic inner sleeve) - 64.7 g
    Cassette: Shimano XT M771 (11-36) - 332.8 g
    Chain: KMC X10SL DLC Black (106 links) - 232.0 g
    Pedals: Xpedo M-Force Ti 8 (including plenty of marine grease) - 218.1 g
    Front brake: Hope Technology Race EVO X2 (plastic hose) - 181.9 g
    Rear brake: Hope Technology Race EVO X2 (plastic hose) - 206.8 g
    Rear brake adapter: Shimano SM-MA90-R160P/S w. bolts - 20.4 g
    Brake disc front: Avid HS1 160 mm - 102.0 g
    Brake disc bolts front: 6 x Hope titanium - 7.2 g
    Brake disc rear: Avid HS1 160 mm - 98.6 g
    Front rim: Edge Composites XC 26" 28h - 350.0 g
    Rim strip: Edge Composites - 18.7 g
    Spokes: 28 x Sapim CX-Ray black (250/252 mm) - 117.3 g
    Nipples: 28 x Proprietary Enve brass nipples - 21.2 g
    Front hub: Carbon-Ti X-Hub SL 28h (15 mm axle) - 108.1 g
    Thru axle: Rock Shox Maxle Stealth - 38.0 g
    Rear rim: Edge Composites XC 26" 28h - 351.0 g
    Rim strip: Edge Composites - 18.5 g
    Spokes: 28 x Sapim CX-Ray black (250/252 mm) - 117.7 g
    Rear hub: Chris King ISO 28h (135x10 mm Thru) - 325.8 g
    Thru bolt: DT Swiss RWS 135x10 mm - 68.4 g
    Front tyre (1): Schwalbe Magic Mary SnakeSkin TrailStar 26x2.35" - 790.0 g
    Rear tyre (1): Schwalbe Hans Dampf SnakeSkin PaceStar 26x2.35" - 741.0 g
    Front tyre (2): Schwalbe Nobby Nic SnakeSkin TrailStar 26x2.35" - 659.0 g
    Rear tyre (2): Schwalbe Nobby Nic SnakeSkin PaceStar 26x2.35" - 652.0 g
    Front tube: Schwalbe EVO Tube 26" - 74.4 g
    Rear tube: Schwalbe EVO Tube 26" - 76.7 g

Sum with tire (1): 10806 g (23.82 lbs)
    Sum with tire (2): 10586 g (23.34 lbs)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crossmaxx View Post
    Damn, this thread hasn't been posted in for almost one and a half year! Well, here is my Mojo SL, still going very strong:

Frame: Ibis Mojo SL size M - 2214.2 g
    Shock: DT Swiss XR Carbon - 186.7 g
    Fork: Rock Shox Revelation Solo Air (140 mm, 185.5 mm steer tube) - 1651.4 g
    Headset: Cane Creek IS110 integrated - 93.2 g
    Handlebar: NewUltimate EVO riser bar (700 mm) - 128.0 g
    Grips: ESI Extra Chunky (cut to 100 mm, incl. end caps) - 65.6 g
    Stem: Extralite HyperStem (80 mm, 6°) - 69.0 g
    Seatpost: YEP Components Uptimizer ST dropper post (31,6/125 mm drop, incl. remote and cables) - 572.2 g
    Improvised dropper post mud guard: Piece of inner tube - 11.9 g
    Saddle: Tune Speedneedle (front leather worn off) - 95.2 g
    Shifter: Shimano XTR M980 (10sp) with Hope Tech matchmaker - 99.9 g
    Cable set: Shimano SIS SP-41 full length (housing stops on frame drilled out) w. Shimano steel cable - 64.5 g
    Rear Derailleur: Shimano XTR M986 GS - 211.3 g
    Crankset: Shimano XTR M970 (170mm) with Carbon-Ti Titanium 30T (104 BCD) and Wolf Tooth 26-30T bash guard - 612.5 g
    Bottom bracket: Shimano XTR SM-BB93 (without plastic inner sleeve) - 64.7 g
    Cassette: Shimano XT M771 (11-36) - 332.8 g
    Chain: KMC X10SL DLC Black (106 links) - 232.0 g
    Pedals: Xpedo M-Force Ti 8 (including plenty of marine grease) - 218.1 g
    Front brake: Hope Technology Race EVO X2 (plastic hose) - 181.9 g
    Rear brake: Hope Technology Race EVO X2 (plastic hose) - 206.8 g
    Rear brake adapter: Shimano SM-MA90-R160P/S w. bolts - 20.4 g
    Brake disc front: Avid HS1 160 mm - 102.0 g
    Brake disc rear: Avid HS1 160 mm - 98.6 g
    Front rim: Edge Composites XC 26" 28h - 350.0 g
    Rim strip: Edge Composites - 18.7 g
    Spokes: 28 x Sapim CX-Ray black (250/252 mm) - 117.3 g
    Front hub: Carbon-Ti X-Hub SL 28h (15 mm axle) - 108.1 g
    Thru axle: Rock Shox Maxle Stealth - 38.0 g
    Rear rim: Edge Composites XC 26" 28h - 351.0 g
    Rim strip: Edge Composites - 18.5 g
    Spokes: 28 x Sapim CX-Ray black (250/252 mm) - 117.7 g
    Rear hub: Chris King ISO 28h (135x10 mm Thru) - 325.8 g
    Thru bolt: DT Swiss RWS 135x10 mm - 68.4 g
    Front tyre (1): Schwalbe Magic Mary SnakeSkin TrailStar 26x2.35" - 790.0 g
    Rear tyre (1): Schwalbe Hans Dampf SnakeSkin PaceStar 26x2.35" - 741.0 g
    Front tyre (2): Schwalbe Nobby Nic SnakeSkin TrailStar 26x2.35" - 659.0 g
    Rear tyre (2): Schwalbe Nobby Nic SnakeSkin PaceStar 26x2.35" - 652.0 g
    Front tube: Schwalbe EVO Tube 26" - 74.4 g
    Rear tube: Schwalbe EVO Tube 26" - 76.7 g

Sum with tire (1): 10806 g (23.82 lbs)
    Sum with tire (2): 10586 g (23.34 lbs)
    nice bike! Thanks for listing the complete build spec with weights. Its super helpful!!

mtbr member
    Awesome showing of a stalwart bike platform that still is ridden (least by me and GF) more often than not; yes we have a somewhat gross stable full o' bikes.

Great bike you have Crossmaxx !!

Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 131920212223