mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Alex rim tubeless set-up

This is the stock rim for the SLX build (others?) from ibis.

So, I am thinking about going tubeless. I have done a fair amount of research here and in some of the other forums. Unfortunately specific info on this rim is pretty limited.

Has anyone here made the tubeless conversion specifically on these rims? If so, which method did you use (ghetto, Stan's, etc.), how did it work out, and if you were doing it again what would you do differently. As long as I don't here a resounding "don't do it" from the group I will give this a shot in the not too distant future and post up my experience.

I figure I can't be the only one wanting to go tubeless on this set-up...Can I?

Thanks
    AG

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by AaGro View Post
    This is the stock rim for the SLX build (others?) from ibis.

So, I am thinking about going tubeless. I have done a fair amount of research here and in some of the other forums. Unfortunately specific info on this rim is pretty limited.

Has anyone here made the tubeless conversion specifically on these rims? If so, which method did you use (ghetto, Stan's, etc.), how did it work out, and if you were doing it again what would you do differently. As long as I don't here a resounding "don't do it" from the group I will give this a shot in the not too distant future and post up my experience.

I figure I can't be the only one wanting to go tubeless on this set-up...Can I?

Thanks
    AG

Currently the Ibis SLX buid kit has Stan's ZTR Rapid rims and are tubeless ready .

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat-G View Post
    Currently the Ibis SLX buid kit has Stan's ZTR Rapid rims and are tubeless ready .
    Only too true for the 2013 build kit. My bike is a 2012 build kit and has the Alex SX 44 rims.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I've got those same wheels on my Mojo. I too have been looking at moving to tubeless. Several weeks ago I emailed Ibis and they replied the Stan's kit works well with these. I've also found a few comments that give me hope that Gorilla tape should seal them well.

I plan to use tape and cut out valves along with Stans sealant.

Hope that helps answer some of your questions.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Perfect. Thanks. I am probably going the same route as you. Are you mounting tubeless ready tires or full UST?

I've got a set of bontrager XR4 team issue in tubeless ready that I'm going to try.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by AaGro View Post
    Perfect. Thanks. I am probably going the same route as you. Are you mounting tubeless ready tires or full UST?

I've got a set of bontrager XR4 team issue in tubeless ready that I'm going to try.
    Since this is an experiment, I'm going to mount whatever I can score on sale that looks like it will work with my local trails and hold air with sealant--meaning I haven't figured tires out yet.