mtbr member

Advice needed on which model would be a good fit...

I currently ride a Camber thats right under 25# running 1x10 and I'm looking at frame options for my next build. I'll likely swap most of my gear onto the new bike and I run a SID XX 120 fork. I fell in love with the Ibis stuff after seeing one last summer a local guy was riding, like artwork, and light, his 3x10 bike weighed less than my modded up and upgraded 1x10.

Anyway, I was surprised to see Ibis doesn't have a 120mm bike, minimum 140 on everything. I don't NEED 140mm where I ride, does that mean the Ibis is not a good option for me, is it more for people riding burlier stuff than me? I am a pretty tame trail rider, do creek crossing, some techy descents and climbs, but nothing crazy.

Am I looking at the wrong bike or is there a model you guys would recommend in the line-up that works well with a 120mm fork?
    Hardrock 29er, Niner EMD9, Cannondale F29, Camber Expert, 650b Nickel all gone.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 here.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    If your looking for a bike to fit that fork I would go Scott Spark RC.That being said my Mojo SL pedals just as well as my Spark RC. You should really try the Mojo first.

meh
    same area as you and ride a mojo, its great for around here and allows you to travel to bigger trails

Dropshot Champ!
    I don't need a mojo for the majority of trails I ride, but it always does great.

From shuttle days to 10,000ft climbing days, bike works great. I've got a 120-150 dual position revelation up front. Being able to click down to 120 *(sagged its more like 100mm) for super steeps has transformed the bike into a doitall weapon.

My bike is about 29lbs, but you can build an slr to 25 pretty easily w/o flows and 950g tires.

Unpredictable
    The son rides a Camber and I have a Mojo. Don't put a 120 fork on it. That would be a waste. The two bikes are somewhat similar in what they like riding, but even though the Mojo does like being ridden over the rear wheel, 120 would be sacrificing way to much fun for no real gain. I have a TALAS on mine 140/120/100 and basically haven't used it for a year or more. It does ride OK at lower settings, but rides great up higher. A matter of balance and using the frame rather than failing to take advantage.

Also, everyone talks about this, but no-one explains it adequately: lowering the fork height increases pedalling resistance quite a lot. On my Mojo this is to the point that the advantage of the angles does not make up for the the increase in resistance at 100mm. I have to be desperate to get up a really steep, but shorter pitch to use it. Would this mean a 120 fork would reduce the performance of the bike overall - I don't know. Has anyone done a study?

mtbr member
    Thanks guys, and I'm glad clewttu jumped in on this as well as he knows where I ride.
    So if I go after a Mojo build I should sell my frame with fork and go with a new fork, thats exactly what I needed to know.
    Hardrock 29er, Niner EMD9, Cannondale F29, Camber Expert, 650b Nickel all gone.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 here.

meh
    yup, I currently run a Revolution 150mm