Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Advice needed for HD coil: CCDB or Vivid Coil?

8K views 30 replies 12 participants last post by  nzl62 
#1 ·
Hey folks, wanted to get your take on a transformation of my mojo. I saw that HucknRoll deal on the Marz 66 RC3 Ti for $500 and couldn't say no .... So I'm in the market for a coil rear shock now and would like advice! I have never used a coil before and would like to hear from folks who have experience with coils on HDs.

I am 140 lbs and currently use my mojo in HD140 mode for trail riding, so this coil transformation will be for downhill trips to the mountains and the rare shuttle day. It still needs to be able to pedal cause 90% of the time, it'll be just little ole me getting it up the hill. I'd classify my riding as aggressive speed wise with moderate jumps ... Gaps up to 10 or 15 feet, chunky pisgah NC terrain, rarely drops to flat more than 5 feet.

I have had bad experience with Fox products so I was considering the vivid coil or the cane creek double barrel. Thoughts?

#3 ·
A compelling argument! Just ordered a vivid R2C w/a 300lbs spring. I'm pretty light so I hopefully won't be oversprung with that setup, but it seems like 2.5" 250lbs springs are hard to find.

Also, went with the mid-tune based on the leverage ratio; crossing my fingers that that was the right move.

#8 ·
Hey iClique, I think you're in the bay area, and it seems like you have quite a personality disorder. I'm happy to set you up with some of the folks in the psychiatry department at the hospital where I work. Let me know and I will forward along your info.
Obviously you must be the janitor there since all that's coming out of your mouth is crap! You should take advantage of the doctors at your work and seek some help!

Get a life!

#6 ·
I don't have any information regarding the CCDB but I have plenty of ride time in the RC4 and the Vivid with the Push team issue mod with the Hi/Low speed compression.

With the RC4 I never felt like I was getting full travel, even with the bottom out all the way out. According to peeps at Push the Mojo HD has good bottom out built into the linkage so the bottom out on the RC4 isn't really necessary. The RC4 didn't really feel as plush as you you would expect a coil to feel. Overall I was disappointed with the feeling of the RC4.

The Pushed Vivid.....Amazing!!!! I have no doubt the CCDB would be a great shock but i can't imagine how it could be any better than the Pushed Vivid. I tracks the ground better on techy/chunky climbs & it blew the RC4 away on the descents. It just flat out rips!

As far as a stock RC4 vs. a stock Vivid, I would go Vivid FWIW. :thumbsup:

Good luck with your search for coil nirvana.

JRE

#15 ·
I bought the 66 rc3 evo ti as well couldn't pass the deal up! I too am looking at coil options for the rear. But, I'm wondering if going to a do it all shock would be better such as a monarch plus? I know everyone raves about it for small bump compliance but... would it be good as a do all? if not, I'll stick with the stock rp23 with spacer an maybe a vivid coil?

PS, Iclique keep it in your own thread please, no need to hijack a thread that other people are interested in just cuz you have a personal beef with the OP. BTW, what's wrong with being a janitor?

#16 ·
I'm running a Push'd Monarch Plus on my HD140 right now. If you can hold off for a bit, I'll be getting a Vivid Coil RC2 in the mail and will be able to compare it (in 160 mode) to the Monarch Plus.

The Plus was a huge improvement over the old RP23 I had on there, for sure, and it's not much heavier either. It's definitely a good way to go if you're looking to score more downhill performance out of the bike without adding a ton of weight, and of course you get the easy tuneability of an air shock. I'm a big fan. Better than a coil? Time will tell!

#18 ·
Yes, yes, exactly the same situation I'm in. I like my HD140 for the regular ole trail days, but after getting this 66 RC3 with the HuckNRoll deal I'll have a much better setup for big downhill days. I needed to get a new shock since my HD will be going from 140 to 160 mode, so I figured why not try coil. Counting down to the November 30 delivery date! Makes it sound like a pregnancy, but I think this is way better than having kids.

#21 ·
Here's a couple coil weight calculators to get near a starting point. I find these recommend 50 to 100# firmer weight than I like. Because the DWL Mojo's climb and handle so well, I tune deeper fork and shock sag than some others, to improve bump compliance, downhill balance and traction and a lower BB while sagged for more stability, with little loss in climbing ability.

TF Tuned Shox - Spring Calculator

Mountain Bike Spring Rate Calculator V6.0

Most coils, except Fox, are measured in inches and lbs per inch, the same as the shock stroke allowing for up to 5 or 6 turns preload, so for the HD160 having a 8.5x2.5 shock, the coil is 2.5 x <weight>. (More on the best <weight> below.)

Fox coils are measured for coil bind including preload compression, so for the HD160 a 2.75 x <weight> would be a Fox coil to avoid coil bind with up to 1/4 inch or about 5 turns preload.

For your coil <weight> it's really trial and error to determine the best coil weight for your interests. If you need more than 3 or 4 turns preload for desired sag or to prevent harsh bottom out the next firmer coil might work better. If you have less than 2 turns preload the next softer coil with more preload may work better. Only testing yourself and tuning the damper to match will.

There is no ideal preload amount, different conditions favor more or less preload, for example add more preload to reduce sag for quicker handling and easier climbing, reduce preload for more sag for more stable and compliant downhill handling and more rear braking traction.

#22 ·
No I didn't find any Deals well, I found one on eBay for 200 but it was a 9.5x3 just wanted to be sure on size so if I do find one I can jump on it. Still contemplating the monarch plus as a do all though. That's why I'm eagerly awaiting your review. Derby, thanks for the info, I know you've been on coil for sometime. If I go the coil rear direction that will come in handy. I'm 160 without camelback etc...

#23 ·
X-Fusion Vector HLR

I've been looking closely at the X-Fusion Vector HLR. There is no shock with more external adjustments, including bottom travel ramp up with reservoir volume adjust and reservoir pressure adjust. Very light shock body. Email communication with x-fusion has been great.

There aren't many reviews found by google, but all are very positive, no bad reviews.

This review is particularly impressive by a guy about my size and ride style....
2011 X-Fusion Vector HLR rear shock | Blister Gear Review - Snowboards, Skis, Mountain Bikes -

#24 ·
Just installed my RS Vivid coil (matched to the 66 Evo RC3 Ti on the front) and took it for a quick 1.5 hour spin. Wow. Just, wow. MUCH different than my Monarch Plus. I don't want to give a full review until I've had more time to dial it in and ride it on various trails under various conditions, but I can already tell that it is significantly more responsive than my Monarch Plus in the chop and at high speed. At the same time it still pedals great... I was honestly expecting much worse in the pedaling department.

Now that being said... today, as it stands, it still doesn't pedal as well as my Monarch Plus. I need to dial in the settings a bit more . . . but honestly, with this fork and shock my bike is currently weighing about 33 lbs and has 180mm front and 160mm rear, so this setup isn't exactly race mode.

Manchvegas, if you're planning on swapping out both the shock and fork for park or big downhill shuttle days, I would say definitely get the coil. It's a significant boost in performance over my Monarch Plus. As a do-all, every day driver shock ... I think I'd probably say to stick with your RP23 (or get a Monarch Plus). The coil definitely adds some weight to the bike and mine doesn't pedal QUITE as well (again, still need to tune so that thought might change).

But man, pointing this thing downhill and hitting jumps puts such a big smile on my face! The performance is unreal!

#25 ·
got my Marz 66 in the mail today! Putting it on tomorrow an hopefully be giving it a good go at a local downhill spot saturday. Can't wait... Ya, I will probably end up with the vivid... what did you get for a tune and spring? What do weigh? I'm 160 without gear, prolly 165-170 with gear.

#26 ·
I'm 140 lbs fully kitted up; got the medium tune and the 300# spring. I would think you'll need at least 350 or 400# spring, depending on what you want to use it for.

You're gonna love that Marz! It is so plush. Really enjoyed riding it today, altho man it turned me into even more of a slowpoke on the uphills!

#27 ·
On a Vivid with the mid tune. Like to go fast, super d type stuff. Im 185 with a 350 spring. Darren at PUSH recommended the low tune - my shop couldn't get one at the time. I will get it PUSH'd this winter. Very happy with the stock performance. Way better than the RP23 in every way - it now feels like it has 160mm of travel.

I also run a PUSH'd Monarch AM. Great air shock. Getting full travel, decent sensitivity, stable rebound behavior. It is an air shock though - it's kinda wallowy.

Vivid

#28 ·
I have had the CCDB on my HD for several months and while I can't compare it to other coils, I can say that it is night and day better than the RP23. Im about 185 w/ gear and run a 350# spring on the CCDB and get 30% sag at 4.5 turns of preload and can obviously tune in more sag from there if desired. Also had a 400# spring sitting around but even at min preload I couldn't quite get 30% sag.

I have not felt a harsh bottom out on the CCDB yet and I am running only 1 turn of HSC. My little rubber band indicator is pushed down in the bumper quite a bit but it has never bottomed hard so there definately seems to be some good mechanical ramp up built in to the linkage.

If Push would have had their vivid tunes available at the time, I probably would have gone with that as I have only heard great things about it. Also I had the CCDB from another bike so it didn't make as much sense to get another coil shock.

#30 ·
I've put the air fork and shocks back on my bike cause the local trails are fairly flat and fast . . . coil and 180/160mm is just way too much for a place where the bike of choice is a 29er single speed haha. That being said, I miss the responsiveness and the traction! The mid-tune was perfect. I would love to try a CCDB but just didn't wanna splurge the extra money!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.