Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Adjustable Seat Posts..Which is best?

7K views 44 replies 25 participants last post by  island1speeder 
#1 ·
Hi...I have a Mojo Carbon (not SL) and would appreciate opinions on what is the best Adjustable Seat Post with Remote. I have long legs and would want one with fairly long post travel and do not want to use shims. thanks, bob, Vancouver Island.

#27 ·
Arty50 said:
So I have a dumb question about the AMP. The sizing chart for the 4" reads as follows:

4" drop 390mm: Minimum post exposed ~ 7.25" - Maximum ~ 12.5" post exposed

So if I'm reading this right, the post is 7.25" when dropped and 12.5" when extended? If so, that's a long post. My max extension is 7.5" on my normal post, and I don't exactly have short legs.
Arty, no. What AMP is saying is that your current seatpost has to have at least 7.25" of post showing to use the 4" drop post. If your current extension is 7.5" you're in good shape.

#29 ·
nomadcrazy said:
Yes it does. http://www.kindshock.com.cn/en/products.asp?fid=173&fid2=&id=668

I bought one of these for my Mojo SL to save the carbon round the seat clamp.

Having come off a bike which had a NZ made 'Q-Shifter' on it, I missed it.

Am super impressed with the KS900i I have bought, it has five inches of travel which I use constantly, Have just spent four eight hour rides on it with no problems at all.

Have owned it for about a month and a half and the only thing i would recommend is a bit of loctite on the clamp bolt, as it had worked loose a little.
UPDATE TO THIS NOTE:

Post is on way back to supplier, it is stuck down and no amount of pulling will bring it back to full height, this also means i cannot undo the seal cover to see if i can fix it. Will post another reply when i know how the company treats warranties etc.

#31 ·
Iwan said:
I've sold my Joplin and bought a KS i900 Cobra for three reasons:

1. No sideways play. None
2. Three ince drop wasn't enough
3. The seatclamp is not the best design.

Other than that it worked 100% for many happy miles. The KS is going strong and a worth while upgrade.
I'm looking forward to using mine (Fezzari version), but the one I ordered didn't work. It took a huge amount of force to drop the post, way more than body weight - and no, it wasn't cinched too tight by the seat collar. After a call to Fezzari, who rerouted me to a tech guy at KS, I had to send it back to have it taken apart to be looked at, rebuilt, etc. Still waiting for it a week and a half later.

Looking at it I wasn't impressed. Seems there's much that can be done to lighten this up, and the pieces are not elegantly designed or sized correctly. Does that red screw-on cap in the middle of the post really need to be about an inch tall?

The remote seemed super flimsy, but I'll have to get a working post before I can say for sure how well it works.

But I do look forward to the 5 inch drop rather than the 3 on the Speedball I've got. And I like that the seat won't wiggle (though I never notice it while riding), and the seat won't rise when pulling it when in a down position.

Iwan - sounds like you had a problem with seat tilting on the Joplin? You know you needed to grease the screw on that and tighten it HARD, right? A dry screw cannot tighten enough. From what I've read, this seems to be the solution to the problem nearly every time.

#32 ·
I have a Joplin, live in Scotland and subject my bike to the worst of UK riding conditions.

I run a lizard skin on mine to avoid the worst of the muck.

Post was fine for approx 9 months then it developed a suspension action.

In it went to the LBS for a service...easy I thought. 2 weeks and they haven't managed to fix it. Off for warranty now so I'll let you know.

I would like to try the KS. Not esp bothered about having more than 3" of drop but I would like to see what the KS is like without the side to side play.

I am only marginally aware of the play whilst riding but if it is possible to get one without without a performance drop that would be nice.

AMP not available in the UK and Gravity droppers look like they have been made in a shed, so thats not going on my Mojo. Gotta have standards, right?

#35 ·
shootout

Another of the mags did a somewhat useless spread on five such seatposts, which gave little in the way of opinions.

A thorough side by side thrashing of all of these posts would be very very welcome. Anyone know how mtbr decides on what it tests, and/or how to suggest this for a future pro review?

#36 ·
getbusyliving said:
...Just wish the GD wasn't so ugly...so I may add a DIY neoprene sock more like the AMP to replace the ugly accordian boot.
AMp now sells the neoprene boot on line for $5. http://www.precisioncyclingcomponents.com/Parts.htm

Also, I finally broke a small AMP post part, a seat mounting piece, and AMP's customer service was over the top! Dan replied to my weekend email within hours and sent out the replacement with spares the next morning for free even although I offered to pay for what I consider normal wear and possible over tightening of the seat by me.

AMP does not advertize.

#37 ·
derby said:
AMp now sells the neoprene boot on line for $5. http://www.precisioncyclingcomponents.com/Parts.htm

Also, I finally broke a small AMP post part, a seat mounting piece, and AMP's customer service was over the top! Dan replied to my weekend email within hours and sent out the replacement with spares the next morning for free even although I offered to pay for what I consider normal wear and possible over tightening of the seat by me.

AMP does not advertize.
derby,

How long is the shim that AMP sends out with the post? 4 inches or so? I decided not to go with the AMP at the last minute just because the shop I bought my Mojo at had a Speedball sitting there calling my name - and I never was crazy about the shim. Any concerns/issues with it?

#38 ·
mikuteit said:
derby,

How long is the shim that AMP sends out with the post? 4 inches or so? I decided not to go with the AMP at the last minute just because the shop I bought my Mojo at had a Speedball sitting there calling my name - and I never was crazy about the shim. Any concerns/issues with it?
The shim is 4 inches, or slighlty longer, as long as the Mojo seat post insert. It's a very high quality Cane Creek brand shim. I have no creaking or slipping problems with the shimmed AMP (unlike my Thompson post). I'm very satisfied with the AMP post and now my experience with AMP customer service.

#40 ·
AMP all the way...I've been riding one for over two years now and I still love it. Like anybody with any kind of adjustable post, I can't imagine riding without it. I have the 1" and 4" dropper. I use the 1" all the time at Bootleg Canyon, I think all bikes should come with a standard 1" drop post, even for xc bikes. You get the best of both worlds, you can pedal at full leg extension on all the climbs and then drop 1" inch for most everything else and still pedal relatively well. The 4" is always there for the big stuff, but forget trying to pedal anything with it dropped all the way down. I probably use this post atleast 20-30 times every ride at Bootleg. It becomes second nature with the handlebar control. The workmanship is great and I have only ever added grease a couple of times to it. It does wiggle a little bit, but it's not noticeable while riding...and that's after two years of use and probably 1500 - 2000 miles on it!

#41 ·
Fezzari / KS follow-up

So I get my Fezzari Drop-In post back, which I'd sent to Rick at KS to fix. It wouldn't drop without a huge amount of pressure. Post still has exact same problem. Only now, it also raises from its lowered position on its own and also can easily be pulled up - like the Speedball or Joplin. Perhaps too much air pressure? Surely that would've been looked at, no? Well, I can't take the thing apart to check, as the poor design makes it too difficult. The spanner wrench piece is too tight for me to remove without thrashing the thing.

So, it's being returned - which I again have to pay to ship. Needless to say, I'm very disappointed. They're great guys at both KS and Fezzari, but in my opinion, this is a cheap POS.

I may look into an AMP in the future, but I think I'll just be happy with my Speedball for now. Maybe I'll just wait for next year's Joplin which will supposedly go to 100mm drop.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.