Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Adjustable Seat Posts..Which is best?

7K views 44 replies 25 participants last post by  island1speeder 
#1 ·
Hi...I have a Mojo Carbon (not SL) and would appreciate opinions on what is the best Adjustable Seat Post with Remote. I have long legs and would want one with fairly long post travel and do not want to use shims. thanks, bob, Vancouver Island.

#2 · (Edited)
I've been testing the Joplin [Maverick Speedball] for quite some time with very good results. It only has a limited amount of drop, [3"] so it depends on how much you need.

The post with the biggest drop is the "Rase" post, [9"] but I don't think these are readily available yet...

Other options are the Gravity Dropper and the AMP post, but you need to specify what sort of overall drop length you need.

R.

bobAustin said:
Hi...I have a Mojo Carbon (not SL) and would appreciate opinions on what is the best Adjustable Seat Post with Remote. I have long legs and would want one with fairly long post travel and do not want to use shims. thanks, bob, Vancouver Island.

#3 ·
I have a Maveric Speedball (now the Joplin) and like it.

However:
- a 3 inch drop is not enough for the terrain you ride Bob. I was regularly manually dropping my seat while riding many of the trails on Vancouver Island.
- It needs love and a service pretty regularly.

If my mine breaks I will certainly look at a post like the AMP with is still remote adjustable but has a 4" drop. The AMP would need shims for the mojo however, so hopefully by the time I am back in the market there will be a good post that fits without a shim.

4" would be plenty for my needs as a 5" drop might not even fit my seat height needs. The 3" drop is enough for Colorado and Moab but the steep that the North Shore and Vancouver Island region commonly has on it's trails would like a little more.

#4 ·
My AMP (All Mountain Post) 1/4 inch remote drop post has worked flawlessly for over 1/2 year, only twice adding a couple drops of oil in the guide grooves under the neoprene dust cover to keep action perfectly easy. It has a very tiny bit of slop now, but I don't feel it when riding. I've seen on other bikes the Gravity Dropper develops a little more slop after break in, and the Rase post I saw at Interbike a year ago had much more slop when new.

I'm 6'1, have a 33 inch inseam with bike shoes on. AMP has promised doing a 1/5 drop which should just fit my large size Mojo for me, but not the XL if I had one. The 1/4 is plenty for me and leaves 1 inch of room to clamp on a rear fender.

It came with a Cane Creek shim and it has been quiet with no creeping lower and actually easier grip of the post using the quick release than my previous Thompson post. The AMP is flexier than the Thompson, but again not noticeable. The AMP is surprisingly nearly as light as the Thompson within an ounce I’d say, plus the remote cable weight.

I wouldn't want an infinite adjust drop. I prefer the set 1 inch mid-drop height for consistent mid-drop pedaling reach and handling feel.

#5 ·
derby said:
I wouldn't want an infinite adjust drop. I prefer the set 1 inch mid-drop height for consistent mid-drop pedaling reach and handling feel.
I agree, infinite adjust drop is nice as an idea and decent to actually have, but the reality is that you don't really need it at all. When I drop my seat I always drop it fully down to get it out of the way.

#8 ·
james beaumont said:
http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=37&products_id=153
I was looking at one of these, 5" drop, well built and good reviews so far, cheaper too!
Hi!

I have this one. 5" drop is enough. Remote lever´s tightening system is weak and mine broke during installation. I used zip ties to do the trick . I was planning to use Speedball´s remote lever but KS post lever needs more wire travel than Speedball´s lever can deliver. After all 5" drop is much useable than Maverick 3". Maverick´s or Joplin´s seat binder clamps are discrace IMO. Post has no play like others do. Just one test ride behind. I will keep you posted later.

Greets MPI!

#9 ·
it's sheer coincidence that this thread was posted... i just visited my local distributor for crank brothers and took a close look and handled the joplin (r) and tried the compression by hand etc. I'm pretty impressed with the build quality of the seatpost, and consider it much better (at least, on cosmetic terms) than the gravity dropper..

the store owner is a long time acquaintance of mine, and he did say to me that if i'm having concerns about the post getting damaged etc, it's better not to buy it - he clarified that he told me honestly because i've been to his place for years (though much less frequently, because i hardly ride these days).

the thing about the gravity dropper i don't like, is that it appears butt-ugly, with a m2racer-resembling kind of saddleclamp, which looks kind of flimsy to me. (i said, "looks", from what i see visually)

the other consideration is that the joplin is a hydraulic system, which the gravity dropper is a magnetic system.

any other viewpoints that any of you thought through before you bought either post? thanks.

#10 ·
Of the RASH (Remote Adjustable Seat Height) posts I've used Gravity Dropper's standard model, the Turbo, and the Descender; the All Mountain Post, and the Maverick/Crank Brother's Speedball/Joplin.

First off, the remote switch is key, don't bother with the "reach between the legs" activation, get the bar mounted remote!

The Gravity Dropper Turbo has proven to be the most solid/dependable and functional model I've used. My favorite is just a 4" drop, no intermediate, great for my local riding (Black Hills of SD, and trips to Wyo, Colorado, Moab, etc) as it really adds flow to any ride.

The Turbo has a solid mechanical activation, with a very positive "click" to lower and instant "up" with a flick of the switch, no need to give it a slight "butt tap" to bring back up. The Maverick/Crank Bros has the "instant up" but it is far more vague, not as quick or snappy, and you never really know if you got it all the way back up to max height.

The infinite adjust of the Maverick/CrankBros is good on paper, but not so good in the real world.

Get a Gravity Dropper Turbo, then swap out the stock seat rail clamp assembly for a Thomson!

#11 ·
zzsean said:
I agree, infinite adjust drop is nice as an idea and decent to actually have, but the reality is that you don't really need it at all. When I drop my seat I always drop it fully down to get it out of the way.
The 1 inch drop is what I spend the most time in.

The 4 inch drop is great for getting the seat completely out of the way for sketchy downhills and drops where there is very little pedaling. Pedaling is weak and weight rearward in the 4 inch unless standing.

I reserve full height mainly for longer easier climbs and street. The 1 inch drop still has very good seated pedaling power for climbing and handling is much better than all the way up.

The AMP remote is mechanically very solid and smooth with a strong but easy coil spring to raise height and a mechanically sprung height detent. It never hangs up going up or down, no hesitation. It appears to be made by CNC machine and is anodized, and has the finish quality of a Thompson post.

#12 ·
Good Advice, thanks.

Thanks for the input.

I think I shall wait for a seatpost to be available in Canada that has about 5 inches of travel. Sean who commented above, visited us this summer and pointed out that he had to adjust his post position for the downhills as the 3inches of travel were not enough.

That was my worry and I'll wait for a longer travel post to come out. The post that the fellows in Scotland and Finland suggested, sounds great and maybe they will be available along with service/parts in North America at some time.

thanks bob.

#14 ·
Well I just received my Joplin post. I had been trying to decide what adjustable post to go with and I opted for the Joplin R. Ultimately I think it will work out well for my needs.

Overall I am very happy with the quality of the post and remote kit. Only time will tell how reliable it will be.

So as an extra precaution and with winter coming on I scavenged a fork boot off an old fork I had to help keep mud and grit off of the slider. I also used a little hose guide to help keep the cable housing from flapping around.

I will be giving it its first flogging tomorrow up at Annadel, hopefully it was worth it!

Attachments

#16 ·
What is the weight on these?

First of all I am a bit of a recovering weight wennie :madman: so please forgive me. I received my Mojo SL a couple months ago and am completely in love with it. When I built mine up I definitely went the light weight racer kind of build. Not stupid race only light, but definitely as light as I could get with 100 percent durability/repairability in mind.

Coming from a single speed hardtail I had NO idea what kind of terrain I would start to take on with this bike. Now that I am getting an idea, I can finally see the reason for a adjustable seat post. (yes just about everyone on this forum told me I would want one and should just get it right away, but I am not always the smartest, best listening rider in the world)

I was looking at the AMP, like the mechanical mechanism and the two indent design, but was wondering what the various weights of the posts. I looked around for them and couldn't find them, no even asking this question probably in validates the point of an adjustable seatpost, but I just have to ask.

Thanks for any info.

Kevin

#17 ·
The AMP post was the other adjustable height seatposts I was considering. They seem to have very good reviews and offer custom drops and lengths to suit anyone's particular preferences.

The things that ultimately led me away from the AMP post was the cost (I saw somewhere that they were around $350), having to shim the post, and the seemingly unknown wait time for one.

Now however, they are back up on the website and the MSRP seems very competitive $275-$299 depending on the drop. They definitely look nice and especially for those riders who want a larger drop than either the Joplin or GD provide. The posts they are stocking now have up to a 5" drop. Check em out www.precisioncyclingcomponents.com!

#21 ·
So I have a dumb question about the AMP. The sizing chart for the 4" reads as follows:

4" drop 390mm: Minimum post exposed ~ 7.25" - Maximum ~ 12.5" post exposed

So if I'm reading this right, the post is 7.25" when dropped and 12.5" when extended? If so, that's a long post. My max extension is 7.5" on my normal post, and I don't exactly have short legs.

#22 ·
MPI said:
Hi!

I have this one. 5" drop is enough. Remote lever´s tightening system is weak and mine broke during installation. I used zip ties to do the trick . I was planning to use Speedball´s remote lever but KS post lever needs more wire travel than Speedball´s lever can deliver. After all 5" drop is much useable than Maverick 3". Maverick´s or Joplin´s seat binder clamps are discrace IMO. Post has no play like others do. Just one test ride behind. I will keep you posted later.

Greets MPI!
Does Pure Racing have a website?

#23 ·
So as an extra precaution and with winter coming on I scavenged a fork boot off an old fork I had to help keep mud and grit off of the slider. I also used a little hose guide to help keep the cable housing from flapping around.
Oo, thats a nice and neat mod :D

Most adjustable seatpost in the market is now around 400-500 grams ++.

I do hope in the future the weight of adjustable seatpost will become smaller, hopefully around 200-300 :)

#24 · (Edited)
Hummbird said:
was wondering what the various weights of the posts.

Kevin
Kevin---I did the research on the three most popular posts a while ago and here are the weights (with remotes):

GravityDropper 450g
AMP 480g
Joplin 534g

I went for the 4" / 1" drop GravityDropper, although not because of the weight---because of the simplicity and function of the mechanism. The GD Turbo is mechanical and has quick, positive action. The Joplin has far superior aesthetics, so it was hard to pass it up, but I have seen a few reports of the hydraulic mechanism failing, and like others have mentioned, I don't like the infinite height adjustment---I like to know exactly where my my seat will be (either full up, 1" down, or 4" down).

Been using the GD for about a year, and it is fantastic. A few months ago I crashed and broke the cable, so decided to just send the whole post in to GD for an overhaul, and they only charged $12, and turned it around in one day! You call and the owner answers the phone...great CS. Just wish the GD wasn't so ugly...so I may add a DIY neoprene sock more like the AMP to replace the ugly accordian boot.

#25 ·
sehsuan said:
the other consideration is that the joplin is a hydraulic system, which the gravity dropper is a magnetic system.
Actually, I believe only the standard GD has a magnetic switch. The GD Turbo uses a simpler pull-pin mechanism and has faster/better/simpler switch action. I've used both and the Turbo has better function, although the entry point of the cable into the post on the Turbo is a somewhat funky design, as cable can kink if something impacts it: http://www.gravitydropper.com/wherephone.html (scroll down).

#26 ·
Gunnar Westholm said:
Does Pure Racing have a website?
Yes it does. http://www.kindshock.com.cn/en/products.asp?fid=173&fid2=&id=668

I bought one of these for my Mojo SL to save the carbon round the seat clamp.

Having come off a bike which had a NZ made 'Q-Shifter' on it, I missed it.

Am super impressed with the KS900i I have bought, it has five inches of travel which I use constantly, Have just spent four eight hour rides on it with no problems at all.

Have owned it for about a month and a half and the only thing i would recommend is a bit of loctite on the clamp bolt, as it had worked loose a little.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.