Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member

Actual weight of the Mojo SL frame?

Has anybody weighed the Mojo SL frame?

So far I've seen one message from a SL owner claiming the weight of the frame but has anybody else actually weighed SL frame? I know the claimed weight including the DT Swiss shock is 4.93 lb which is approx. 2.240 g but what about the actual weight?

I would be especially interested in the weight of the size XL frame since that is the size which I have ordered.
    Pertti
    Lahti, Finland
    MC Kramppi

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    The MED Mojo Sl Frame I recently received weighs 4.93 lbs (including seat collar), just as stated by Ibis.

mtbr member
    My MED. Mojo SL weighed at Ibis was 4.98 lbs w/seat collar,exactly 1 lb. lighter than my regular Mojo.
    milesW

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    My med SL was also 4.93lbs. This was on an Ultimate scale at the LBS.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the replys guys.

Does anybody with size XL (or L) frame have the actual weight of their frame?
    Pertti
    Lahti, Finland
    MC Kramppi

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    How much weight its saved from the frame alone (without the shock)?
    Is it worth to buy the sl with the rp23 or in this case the "old" one will do?

Ride More Work Less
    Jun 2006
    SL frame weighs about 130g less than Mojo frame. Read the reviews on this site to see if you think DT Swiss or RP23 shock is for you. Reviews are good for both shocks. You can get the other weight savings by purchasing the new links and Ti bolts.

Only you can decide if the lower weight SL frame is worth the $$.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    4.93 for a medium? Seems that IBIS probably should fix up their website since they are claiming that a LARGE weighs 4.93lbs.

"4.93 lbs frame and shock weight size large. Our brains were hurting after spending..." - http://ibiscycles.com/mountain/mojosl/ on 1/21/2008

While I imagine that they will have some variation in weights, unless that large size has something different about the design there is no way it can weigh the same or in some cases less than the medium. Perhaps the 4.93lbs large size weight is literally the shock and the frame, i.e. no linkage, seat collar or other important bits.

With the main push of the SL being it's lighter weight I think IBIS should post some production frame weights on their specification pages. If real world production caused the frame to be heavier than the prototypes, while that would suck, customers should be informed of the updated specifications.

I too am waiting (weighting?) for an XL frame. Based on the weight of a medium being near 5lbs I would guess the XL is going to be 5.5 to 6lbs. The main reason I pulled out the extra cash for the SL was the better paint and the lock out SSD carbon shock. Even though it was an extra ~$400 I think it will be worth it. My old Specialized stumpjumper had a nice matte finish that was able to wear extremely well giving me a good used price for it after 3 years of hard riding. A glossy finish would never look even half as good after the 3 years I put on that bike.

Sorry if the post seems a little cold... it must be the shoveling snow at -15F this morning. Less than a week ago it was in the 40s and perfect for early season riding.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Xl

Quote Originally Posted by Portti
    Thanks for the replys guys.

Does anybody with size XL (or L) frame have the actual weight of their frame?
    Hello!

There are no XLs out in the world to weigh just yet. A couple more weeks...
    Take care,

Hans

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by sas2
    How much weight its saved from the frame alone (without the shock)?
    Is it worth to buy the sl with the rp23 or in this case the "old" one will do?
    A point being missed here is the new paint and uhm carbon (Ultra High Modulus vs High Modulus) carbon weave. ( making sl about 5% stronger and stiffer for a rough estimate). While this does not matter much cause the moj classic is allready plenty strong, the paint is a different story.
    The paint has never been used in the bike industry before and it seems to be tough as hell. At least from the results I've seen on some demo bikes. Some of the paint jobs look really rough on the standard moj after a couple of years. Most guys are covering their painted moj classics with all sorts of helicoper grade tape etc to address this.
    Honestly I would probably order and sl with rp23 (save 200 bucks) which is the shock the moj was originally designed for and save the extra money to have it tuned with a moj specific tune at push industries.
    I would imagine the dt swiss shock will have allot more issues (like I've read about many warranty send backs to europe on their forks) Note, not that fox haven't had some issues (here in US.)
    But, I allready have an rp23 I can use on the bike and I wanted to have the extra shock to play with.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info Hans!

smkndrgn:

In my opinion Ibis seem more realistic than usually in relation to the claimed weights if the actual weight of the size M Mojo SL frame is close to 4.93 lbs. Many manufacturers are a lot more optimistic when claiming weights.
    Pertti
    Lahti, Finland
    MC Kramppi

The MTB Lab
    Currently the main issue with the SL's is scarcity, if you want one is going to be a long wait. I still think that the Mojo Naked (the original) is still the prettiest of the bunch.

In regards to the weight of the bikes. The Naked Mojo is 5.75 lbs, haven't weighed a Mojo SL since the show so I will have to go off the new weights.

Here some specs on a Medium...

Mojo: 5.75 lbs
    Mojo SL: 4.95 lbs
    Diff: -.8 lbs

Why the differences:

Rear Shock:

RP23 210g
    DT Swiss carbon 160g
    -50g

Lighter lower link
    -10g

Ti bolts
    -35g

SL Seatpost clamp
    -50g

Total parts diff:
    -145g or -.32 lbs

That leaves a Frame diff
    -.48 lbs or 218 g

The weight diff is due to:
    lighter frame (different carbon layup)
    carbon headset cups
    carbon dropouts
    carbon seat tube insert

Yes it would be ideal to have a Mojo and a Mojo SL in house for a weight weenie scale shoot off, got scale down to .1 g accuracy, but I am going to have to go off approximations for now, but its still pretty ballpark figures, you cannot get the last .5lbs +/- from the Mojo to become a Mojo SL

Peace.

mtbr member
    So, are there any size XL SL's out there yet? Has anybody weighed size XL frame?
    Pertti
    Lahti, Finland
    MC Kramppi

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

medium mojo and medium mojo sl weights

I have an medium original nude carbon mojo with rp23 and qr seatpost binder at 5.68 lbs on my seemingly-pretty-accurate scale.
    I just got my medium sl and it's 5.02 lbs with qr seatpost binder and dt shock.

they're both incredibly sexy looking machines and having ridden the mojo for about a year now, I'm totally sold on these bikes...I really don't care a lot about how much they weigh...they pedal incredibly well and are super stiff laterally.

Slovakia (Europe)
    Mojo SL, Large, Ti hw except of 2 pcs. M5x10 stainless steel bolts for shock mount.
    Attached Images Attached Images

breathing helium
    Isn't that like 5.28 lbs for a large? But it is with thr RP23, not the DT carbon shock.
    Last edited by cocheese; 03-24-2008 at 11:20 PM.

Slovakia (Europe)
    Yes, it's 5.289 lbs. You can substitute RP23 weight by DT Swiss one. Please note, that heavy Ibis QR seat clamp is included too.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I check myself the weight of my mojo sl L with rp23 and blue kit--->2346 gr.

Slovakia (Europe)
    Quote Originally Posted by ciam
    I check myself the weight of my mojo sl L with rp23 and blue kit--->2346 gr.
    With QR Ibis seat post clamp or bolt one?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    With the bolt one from the blue kit

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ghawk
    A.
    I would imagine the dt swiss shock will have allot more issues (like I've read about many warranty send backs to europe on their forks) Note, not that fox haven't had some issues (here in US.)
    But, I allready have an rp23 I can use on the bike and I wanted to have the extra shock to play with.
    There is nothing to imagine, it is reality. I have sent all two DT Swiss shocks available in my LBS to warranty during first several trips and now I ride spare Fox RP23 borrowed from LBS.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Bonking ... not feelin' well Hate to hear that.

Quote Originally Posted by monolink
    There is nothing to imagine, it is reality. I have sent all two DT Swiss shocks available in my LBS to warranty during first several trips and now I ride spare Fox RP23 borrowed from LBS.
    That did not quite come out the way I meant it. Not you, but some guys go euuuuu you diss dtswiss be bad, etc.
    Not at all, I just know after years of doing this stuff I've seen so many mountain bike shocks and forks have issues. I kinda figured those shocks would be like everything else.
    Be that as it may, I've had problems with Rebas (almost got me killed as pressure moved from pos to neg air chamber un-noticed till....it changed my allready impaired sense of balance-> hello apens tree at 30 mph ), my Talas like many I've read about is buttery smooth partly because it leaks like a sieve (soon off to be pushed since my SL delayed do to boxer rebellion gives me time .)
    The remote option for DT Swiss could be great for allot of the riding I do. Not an option for rp23 (though I may have found a guy to try and make me one.) Especially since I allready have a remote for it. (they are 100 bucks each !) My poploc only cost 67.00 and if dtswiss will email me back on what hardware I need to replace the little knob...

Here's another discussion about the 2 shocks.
    http://weightweenies.starbike.com/fo...=386860#386860

Ride More Work Less
    Jun 2006
    My large SL frame with DT Swiss shock weighed in at 5.22 lbs. With QR seat collar it is 5.36 lbs. I am a bit disappointed that the weight is not even close to 4.93 lbs advertised. I have a complete XTR build as spec'd by Ibis except upgraded to Manitou Fork. The bike weighs 23.85 lbs. With the .6lbs lighter fork, the bike should have weighed 22.9 lbs. One pound heavier than expected. I know it won't affect how it rides, but still disappointing.

To top it off, the DT Swiss shock has a problem and will have to be replaced.

AB
    Feb 2005
    Avam

Much thanks for your post. And yeah, at $6,000US, I'd say the difference between an expected 22.9 and a realized 23.85 is just wrong. Especially when the Ibis site claims 4.93 on the large. I am really in love with this Ibis Mojo SL, and was thinking the WTF groupo, and now, well, not too sure. On the flip side, I am sure, when you're rippin some sweet vertical dirt on your new rig, the numbers don't mean a thing, the grin is everything. - AB

Ride More Work Less
    Jun 2006
    Here's the final weight at the bike shop with WTB saddle and XTR pedals. On my digital bathroom scale the total weight is approx. 24.7 lbs.

Slovakia (Europe)
    Quote Originally Posted by avam
    My large SL frame with DT Swiss shock weighed in at 5.22 lbs. With QR seat collar it is 5.36 lbs. I am a bit disappointed that the weight is not even close to 4.93 lbs advertised. I have a complete XTR build as spec'd by Ibis except upgraded to Manitou Fork. The bike weighs 23.85 lbs. With the .6lbs lighter fork, the bike should have weighed 22.9 lbs. One pound heavier than expected. I know it won't affect how it rides, but still disappointing.

My "semi-final" target weight for large SL w/ RP23 is approx. 23.63 lbs. (virtual weight with 2.1" Racing Ralph tires), final target weight ca. 22.59 lbs (same tires).

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by monolink
    Let me know how the service is. I think if the service really sucks then that would be the final shoe for me. I'm having trouble getting them to return my emails (just my own personal experience maybe they don't like me.) They seem to be like a big bike company in that regard (although relative to Fox etc the are tiny.)
    VERY unlike my experience with Ibis who must spend an enormous amount of time on any giving day on the 'puter just returning mail for as good as they are about it.
    I really don't have allot of time to beta test for DT I just don't spend that much time monkeying around with this stuff anymore. Thanks for update on the shock.
    Last edited by ghawk; 03-26-2008 at 04:33 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by pastajet
    Here some specs on a Medium...

Why the differences:

Rear Shock:

RP23 210g
    DT Swiss carbon 160g
    -50g

Lighter lower link
    -10g

Ti bolts
    -35g

SL Seatpost clamp
    -50g

Total parts diff:
    -145g or -.32 lbs

That leaves a Frame diff
    -.48 lbs or 218 g
    I just installed the Ibis Ti bolt kit and here are my results:
    Total Kit weight - 44g
    4 - M8x16 Ti Upper Link bolts - 18g
    1 - M8x60 Rear shock bolt - 14g
    1 - Shock pin with washers - 5g
    2 - M5x15 shock pin bolts or water bottle bolts - 3g
    1 - M6x12 Lower link bolt - 2g
    Please note, there are errors in these numbers since the resolution of my scale is 1g (+/- 0.5g). With these small weights, there error is significant for the lightest parts.

The steel bolts weighed 84g for a savings of 40g.

My RP23 weighed 265g.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    weigh it without the pedals. weights are usually posted without them.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Another one

Quote Originally Posted by avam
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...50337#poststop

The MTB Lab
    Update on my shock weighings of the RP23 plus the new DT Swiss.

DT Swiss Carbon: 193.1g
    Fox RP23: 263.8g

Here are my specs for bolts. All the bolts are not from Ibis bolt kit but this should be pretty close (used a .1g accuracy scale)

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Anyone have a weight weenie weight on a new medium sl

Anyone have a current weight on their Mojo SL Frame. (Acurate weight weenie weight ?)
    In other words frame weight with size etc.
    If it's true that some rework to main pivot assembly in the molds had to be done an the actual weight of the frames could be coming in maybe a ~ 50 grams heavier.
    Which is significant give a real weight breakdown vs standard Moj. (if sl weighs in at about ~218 grams but has gained 50 grams would that not mean over a 20% increase in weight?) Then, the colored frames would be even more I would suspect.
    Could be good if Ibis were to give us an update as to this and also the problem with the colored pu paint.
    Thanks all.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

My Lil Med. SL with Rp23 Standard Fixde SL Binder

Just got med. Moj SL with RP23 blue links standard sl binder and got thrown into a weight weenie spasm when weighing on uncalibrated Alpine digital scale:
    2390 grams 5.269 pounds.(with water bottle bolts removed)
    So if I had ordered with XR Carbon it would have come in at 2340 grams 5.16 lbs I would guess. To calibrate I weight here a miller light beer in 12 ounce can at 360 grams and coors classic at 370 grams hmmm. If I get real spass-ed about it I can always switch to xr shock now can't i.

But, wow what a beautiful bike ! Will I notice the weight, not at 162 lbs (at 150 or so maybe....) But in response to the inevitable question, no you can't have my mojo baby. even to weigh.
    Does this mean colored paint could add as much as 90 grams ? (new weights on website matte clear med. is now at 4.96. Edited and all inflamatory remarks hopefully removed. This post was meant to be tongue in cheek and taken with a gram of salt. Note:> hanging scale is not nearly as accurate as stand model, but supposedly accurate to 5% which is allot. That's why we need allot of weigh ins.
    Last edited by ghawk; 06-07-2008 at 02:30 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Hello fellow weight watchers,

Along with posting about weight of your frame or bike comes great responsibility Thousands of people will read the post and think we're lame if they don't realize that a QR seat binder and RP23 = + 100 grams.

Nevegals with tubes weigh a lot more than Stan's / Hutchy TR combo BTW, so it will be near impossible to get your bike super light with those tires and tubes. They do work great though...

The painted frames weigh a little more vs the clear. Not sure on the exact amount. The pigment that creates the color is heavier. On our road frames it's about 30 g, so maybe a little more than that on the mtb frames due to the greater surface area.

We tried really hard to get the frames under 5 lbs and currently a medium clear is just under 5 lbs (with the DT shock and fixed binder) The same size regular Mojo is about 5.7 - 5.8 lbs. for comparison. Most aluminum 5.5 inch frames are 6 - 6.5 + - lbs.

We'll weigh some frames today and post the up to date weights on the Ultimate scale.

Take care all,

Hans

mtbr member
    Hans:

Do you already have some size XL frames which you could weigh?
    Pertti
    Lahti, Finland
    MC Kramppi

The MTB Lab
    For some comparisons I have some stats from my 06 Mojo on my .1 gram accuracy scale:

Slovakia (Europe)
    My files from 0.1g accuracy scale. 2008 Ibis SL matt clear frame, Fox RP23 shock, stainless upper pivot/polymer shock bushes, QR seatpost binder. Without fenders and protective tape. Some parts are tuned.

Slovakia (Europe)
    Somehow cassette was removed by mistake from previous file, so posting the correct one.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

If You Are Worried About Paint Weight? Call Ibis, Always Straight CS Answers

Hello fellow weight watchers, Along with posting about weight of your frame or bike comes great responsibility Thousands of people will read the post and think we're lame if they don't realize that a QR seat binder and RP23 = + 100 grams.
    Nevegals with tubes weigh a lot more than Stan's / Hutchy TR combo BTW, so it will be near impossible to get your bike super light with those tires and tubes. They do work great though...
    The painted frames weigh a little more vs the clear. Not sure on the exact amount. The pigment that creates the color is heavier. On our road frames it's about 30 g, so maybe a little more than that on the mtb frames due to the greater surface area.
    We tried really hard to get the frames under 5 lbs and currently a medium clear is just under 5 lbs (with the DT shock and fixed binder) The same size regular Mojo is about 5.7 - 5.8 lbs. for comparison. Most aluminum 5.5 inch frames are 6 - 6.5 + - lbs.
    We'll weigh some frames today and post the up to date weights on the Ultimate scale. Take care all, Hans

IMHO, I would guess the painted weigh in at about ~90 grams more it would make sense vs a road frame and my primative naught+naught=double naught. My frame was weighed as stated with an Alpine ultimate digital scale. As stated my Alpine hanging scale has not been calibrated. I will check some other scales to make sure it is accurate. Note:> though this IS with an RP23 + 50 grams it is not with a the Moj Classic QR; but with the STANDARD SL fixed binder . I tried to be very precise with that in my last somewhat lame post.
    Hopefully people realize we are weight weenies aka weight artist (note I am not nearly as precise with this stuff as the masters like pasta) and Ibis is more accurate with their frame weight estimates than any of the other bike companies. No one here is saying they are misrepresenting. Also remember carbon layups with this new age paint is going to give some variation. Btw, it's the most beautiful bike I have ever seen and I gladly give up the ~90 grms if that turns out to be correct. If there is something that I said that did not sound accurate let me know I will fix. Hopefully, this is enough sucking up and back pedaling for one day. And, no I had not been drinking when I did the weight of the frame, I am now though.
    I have decided to not do the total breakdown because at this point I think I'm about right on. I went to bike shop and weighed on their brand new park digital and it weighed exackly the same down to the gram. (I beleive my alpine has a 10 gram resolution because in the earlier report the the alpine was flicking between 2390 and 2400 and I gave the frame the benifit of the doubt.) But, the Park stayed right on 2400 grams again this is with rp23 not XR shock (+ 50~70 grams. Also, note that I added some carbon grease to seattube.) So, again if I was the ultimate weight weenie I would (first lose 15 pounds ) then go with a matte clear or at least know it will probably with the latest runs be costing you a fifth of a pound ie .2 or 3.2 ounces for the beauty of the gray or brown [ or at least go with standard xr shock since it is getting really good reviews.]
    Iow, I beleive colored medium with XR Shock will come in at around 5.11-5.16 pounds. If this paint hyper-anal-izing turns out to be wrong well okay-I just got a heavy one (they wanted mine to be xtra nice so gave it a 2nd coat. )
    The color is so beautiful to me again it is well worth it . Now on to "weigh" another beer, which has not been going real well cause each time I take one out it weighs a little less by the time I get to the scale....
    Last edited by ghawk; 06-07-2008 at 02:12 PM. Reason: Please Remember This Is All Speculation On My Part Except For Actual Weights Recorded

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Some are lighter too...

just saw a medium sl with wtf at the lbs...sadly it was being purchased at that moment, but i took a look at the scale as the shop guys weighed it for the customer...21.6 lbs on the dot, no pedals, stock WTF build...and a calibrated scale...

so some come in a bit heavier, some come in a bit lighter...but lets be honest here...if your life is dramatically changed because of a few grams here and there something else needs calibrated...

maybe we should all just go ride our bikes...some of you seem to be on the internet a little too much...

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

so....if they use weight as a major selling point....

Quote Originally Posted by trailboss69
    something else needs calibrated...

maybe we should all just go ride our bikes...some of you seem to be on the internet a little too much...
    I have allready calibrated that too !
    On the forums too much ? Oops I guess so I'm here again. Oh, yea...so are you But, I did a 100k with 10k vert feet of climbing today, then my wife made me vacuum the house.....
    I think it's natural to want to check out and even verify the marvelous bike technology and weight is a major selling point in the giant bicycle industry marketing machine.........
    Last edited by ghawk; 06-16-2008 at 02:58 AM.

baka baka!

Grey Mojo SL

Weighed the frame w/ RP23 yesterday on a Ultimate Alpine Scale...came in at 5.33 lbs for a medium. A bit on the heavier side but not by much. It looks sweetttt!!! I can't wait to ride it...I should have it built by tomorrow!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Hello forum,

Weighed a couple of frames going out today:
    Mojo SL Matte Clear size Large with DT shock 5.11 pounds
    Mojo SL Matte Clear size Medium with DT shock 4.95 pounds

Cheers!
    Hans

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I just got an XL Grey SL and it weighed 2460 Grams, 5.42 lbs,thats with shock DT Swiss. my whole bike build is a WTF with a DT Swiss EXC 150 fork came in at 23.03 lbs.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by olderandslower
    I just got an XL Grey SL and it weighed 2460 Grams, ...
    Finally a size XL frame. Thanks for the info!

The weight is a bit on the heavy side in my opinion. Is this weight with the quick release seat post collar or with the normal SL seat post collar?
    Pertti
    Lahti, Finland
    MC Kramppi

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

regular seat collar

This is the bolt on blue annodized.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Edit removed, browser bug.
    Last edited by ghawk; 06-25-2008 at 03:58 AM.

mtbr member
    Here is an answer to my own question:

I got my size XL SL frame today and the actual weight of that frame was 2,382 g. It is a matte clear Mojo SL with DT Swiss Carbon shock and non-quick release seat post collar.

Pertti
    Lahti, Finland
    MC Kramppi

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    So a difference between painted and clear of 70 grams or so or .15 lbs. (And that is an XL on a scale with 1 gram resolution I beleive.) So my above estimate of 90 grams/.19+ added for paint for a medium (on alphine hanging scale with 10 gram resolution) might be off a bit but still pretty good (mine got 2 coats ). I wish we would get some more weights in here frame only. (S,Med.,L,XL) Painted and matte clear with high resolution scales.)

Reviewer/Tester

Ibis Mojo SL Small.

My small Ibis Mojo weighs 4.87lbs with bolt on seat collar and DT Swiss shock.

That's on my Ultimate digital scale.

R.
    It is inevitable ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast