Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

Actual weight of the Mojo SL frame?

Has anybody weighed the Mojo SL frame?

So far I've seen one message from a SL owner claiming the weight of the frame but has anybody else actually weighed SL frame? I know the claimed weight including the DT Swiss shock is 4.93 lb which is approx. 2.240 g but what about the actual weight?

I would be especially interested in the weight of the size XL frame since that is the size which I have ordered.
    Pertti
    Lahti, Finland
    MC Kramppi

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    The MED Mojo Sl Frame I recently received weighs 4.93 lbs (including seat collar), just as stated by Ibis.

mtbr member
    My MED. Mojo SL weighed at Ibis was 4.98 lbs w/seat collar,exactly 1 lb. lighter than my regular Mojo.
    milesW

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    My med SL was also 4.93lbs. This was on an Ultimate scale at the LBS.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the replys guys.

Does anybody with size XL (or L) frame have the actual weight of their frame?
    Pertti
    Lahti, Finland
    MC Kramppi

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    How much weight itīs saved from the frame alone (without the shock)?
    Is it worth to buy the sl with the rp23 or in this case the "old" one will do?

Ride More Work Less
    Jun 2006
    SL frame weighs about 130g less than Mojo frame. Read the reviews on this site to see if you think DT Swiss or RP23 shock is for you. Reviews are good for both shocks. You can get the other weight savings by purchasing the new links and Ti bolts.

Only you can decide if the lower weight SL frame is worth the $$.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    4.93 for a medium? Seems that IBIS probably should fix up their website since they are claiming that a LARGE weighs 4.93lbs.

"4.93 lbs frame and shock weight size large. Our brains were hurting after spending..." - http://ibiscycles.com/mountain/mojosl/ on 1/21/2008

While I imagine that they will have some variation in weights, unless that large size has something different about the design there is no way it can weigh the same or in some cases less than the medium. Perhaps the 4.93lbs large size weight is literally the shock and the frame, i.e. no linkage, seat collar or other important bits.

With the main push of the SL being it's lighter weight I think IBIS should post some production frame weights on their specification pages. If real world production caused the frame to be heavier than the prototypes, while that would suck, customers should be informed of the updated specifications.

I too am waiting (weighting?) for an XL frame. Based on the weight of a medium being near 5lbs I would guess the XL is going to be 5.5 to 6lbs. The main reason I pulled out the extra cash for the SL was the better paint and the lock out SSD carbon shock. Even though it was an extra ~$400 I think it will be worth it. My old Specialized stumpjumper had a nice matte finish that was able to wear extremely well giving me a good used price for it after 3 years of hard riding. A glossy finish would never look even half as good after the 3 years I put on that bike.

Sorry if the post seems a little cold... it must be the shoveling snow at -15F this morning. Less than a week ago it was in the 40s and perfect for early season riding.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Xl

Quote Originally Posted by Portti
    Thanks for the replys guys.

Does anybody with size XL (or L) frame have the actual weight of their frame?
    Hello!

There are no XLs out in the world to weigh just yet. A couple more weeks...
    Take care,

Hans
    Hans
    Ibis Cycles, Inc.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by sas2
    How much weight itīs saved from the frame alone (without the shock)?
    Is it worth to buy the sl with the rp23 or in this case the "old" one will do?
    A point being missed here is the new paint and uhm carbon (Ultra High Modulus vs High Modulus) carbon weave. ( making sl about 5% stronger and stiffer for a rough estimate). While this does not matter much cause the moj classic is allready plenty strong, the paint is a different story.
    The paint has never been used in the bike industry before and it seems to be tough as hell. At least from the results I've seen on some demo bikes. Some of the paint jobs look really rough on the standard moj after a couple of years. Most guys are covering their painted moj classics with all sorts of helicoper grade tape etc to address this.
    Honestly I would probably order and sl with rp23 (save 200 bucks) which is the shock the moj was originally designed for and save the extra money to have it tuned with a moj specific tune at push industries.
    I would imagine the dt swiss shock will have allot more issues (like I've read about many warranty send backs to europe on their forks) Note, not that fox haven't had some issues (here in US.)
    But, I allready have an rp23 I can use on the bike and I wanted to have the extra shock to play with.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info Hans!

smkndrgn:

In my opinion Ibis seem more realistic than usually in relation to the claimed weights if the actual weight of the size M Mojo SL frame is close to 4.93 lbs. Many manufacturers are a lot more optimistic when claiming weights.
    Pertti
    Lahti, Finland
    MC Kramppi

MTBR Contributing Editor
    Currently the main issue with the SL's is scarcity, if you want one is going to be a long wait. I still think that the Mojo Naked (the original) is still the prettiest of the bunch.

In regards to the weight of the bikes. The Naked Mojo is 5.75 lbs, haven't weighed a Mojo SL since the show so I will have to go off the new weights.

Here some specs on a Medium...

Mojo: 5.75 lbs
    Mojo SL: 4.95 lbs
    Diff: -.8 lbs

Why the differences:

Rear Shock:

RP23 210g
    DT Swiss carbon 160g
    -50g

Lighter lower link
    -10g

Ti bolts
    -35g

SL Seatpost clamp
    -50g

Total parts diff:
    -145g or -.32 lbs

That leaves a Frame diff
    -.48 lbs or 218 g

The weight diff is due to:
    lighter frame (different carbon layup)
    carbon headset cups
    carbon dropouts
    carbon seat tube insert

Yes it would be ideal to have a Mojo and a Mojo SL in house for a weight weenie scale shoot off, got scale down to .1 g accuracy, but I am going to have to go off approximations for now, but its still pretty ballpark figures, you cannot get the last .5lbs +/- from the Mojo to become a Mojo SL

Peace.

mtbr member
    So, are there any size XL SL's out there yet? Has anybody weighed size XL frame?
    Pertti
    Lahti, Finland
    MC Kramppi

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

medium mojo and medium mojo sl weights

I have an medium original nude carbon mojo with rp23 and qr seatpost binder at 5.68 lbs on my seemingly-pretty-accurate scale.
    I just got my medium sl and it's 5.02 lbs with qr seatpost binder and dt shock.

they're both incredibly sexy looking machines and having ridden the mojo for about a year now, I'm totally sold on these bikes...I really don't care a lot about how much they weigh...they pedal incredibly well and are super stiff laterally.

Slovakia (Europe)
    Mojo SL, Large, Ti hw except of 2 pcs. M5x10 stainless steel bolts for shock mount.
    Attached Images Attached Images

breathing helium
    Isn't that like 5.28 lbs for a large? But it is with thr RP23, not the DT carbon shock.
    Last edited by cocheese; 03-24-2008 at 11:20 PM.

Slovakia (Europe)
    Yes, it's 5.289 lbs. You can substitute RP23 weight by DT Swiss one. Please note, that heavy Ibis QR seat clamp is included too.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I check myself the weight of my mojo sl L with rp23 and blue kit--->2346 gr.

Slovakia (Europe)
    Quote Originally Posted by ciam
    I check myself the weight of my mojo sl L with rp23 and blue kit--->2346 gr.
    With QR Ibis seat post clamp or bolt one?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    With the bolt one from the blue kit

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ghawk
    A.
    I would imagine the dt swiss shock will have allot more issues (like I've read about many warranty send backs to europe on their forks) Note, not that fox haven't had some issues (here in US.)
    But, I allready have an rp23 I can use on the bike and I wanted to have the extra shock to play with.
    There is nothing to imagine, it is reality. I have sent all two DT Swiss shocks available in my LBS to warranty during first several trips and now I ride spare Fox RP23 borrowed from LBS.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Bonking ... not feelin' well Hate to hear that.

Quote Originally Posted by monolink
    There is nothing to imagine, it is reality. I have sent all two DT Swiss shocks available in my LBS to warranty during first several trips and now I ride spare Fox RP23 borrowed from LBS.
    That did not quite come out the way I meant it. Not you, but some guys go euuuuu you diss dtswiss be bad, etc.
    Not at all, I just know after years of doing this stuff I've seen so many mountain bike shocks and forks have issues. I kinda figured those shocks would be like everything else.
    Be that as it may, I've had problems with Rebas (almost got me killed as pressure moved from pos to neg air chamber un-noticed till....it changed my allready impaired sense of balance-> hello apens tree at 30 mph ), my Talas like many I've read about is buttery smooth partly because it leaks like a sieve (soon off to be pushed since my SL delayed do to boxer rebellion gives me time .)
    The remote option for DT Swiss could be great for allot of the riding I do. Not an option for rp23 (though I may have found a guy to try and make me one.) Especially since I allready have a remote for it. (they are 100 bucks each !) My poploc only cost 67.00 and if dtswiss will email me back on what hardware I need to replace the little knob...

Here's another discussion about the 2 shocks.
    http://weightweenies.starbike.com/fo...=386860#386860

Ride More Work Less
    Jun 2006
    My large SL frame with DT Swiss shock weighed in at 5.22 lbs. With QR seat collar it is 5.36 lbs. I am a bit disappointed that the weight is not even close to 4.93 lbs advertised. I have a complete XTR build as spec'd by Ibis except upgraded to Manitou Fork. The bike weighs 23.85 lbs. With the .6lbs lighter fork, the bike should have weighed 22.9 lbs. One pound heavier than expected. I know it won't affect how it rides, but still disappointing.

To top it off, the DT Swiss shock has a problem and will have to be replaced.

AB
    Feb 2005
    Avam

Much thanks for your post. And yeah, at $6,000US, I'd say the difference between an expected 22.9 and a realized 23.85 is just wrong. Especially when the Ibis site claims 4.93 on the large. I am really in love with this Ibis Mojo SL, and was thinking the WTF groupo, and now, well, not too sure. On the flip side, I am sure, when you're rippin some sweet vertical dirt on your new rig, the numbers don't mean a thing, the grin is everything. - AB

Ride More Work Less
    Jun 2006
    Here's the final weight at the bike shop with WTB saddle and XTR pedals. On my digital bathroom scale the total weight is approx. 24.7 lbs.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast