Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
    mtbr member

Is ACC running a prototype?

I assume enduro wheels are so narrow due to weight? I loved my 823s but the were heavy. I ride i25s on my HD avd love them. Like them more than the Flows on the Knolly

mtbr member
    I am running Derby's and they work amazingly well

bike rider
    Quote Originally Posted by wilks View Post
    I assume enduro wheels are so narrow due to weight? I loved my 823s but the were heavy. I ride i25s on my HD avd love them. Like them more than the Flows on the Knolly
    Mavic wheels are so narrow cuz Mavic loves narrow wheels. I don't know why and the market is clearly going the other way.
    Keep the Country country.

mtbr member
    The mavic specific tires aren't that big, so neither are the rims. Its all about the combo. You would think Mavic would have a reason to do things they way they do.

I'm still not sold on the extra wide rim hype, but then again I've never spent any time on a set. A friend of mine has some of the Ibis rims on his Intense and I believe was running low'ish tire pressures at downieville (unless he aired them up later) a few weekends ago, and pinched his tire bad, both on the top tread and at the bead, and kept losing air pressure all weekend. No idea if he just munched it or if there was some kind of problem having the wide rim and a regular sized tire(hrII). My next set of wheels is likely to be the new 650B Easton Havocs which probably won't be mega wide (old versions are 23/28mm) so I'll likely never know.

The question in my mind is, are the wider rims really that much better for everyone at all speeds, or do they have downfalls that people who love low air pressure and extra traction choose to ignore, or aren't exploiting them enough to find these downfalls. Things like not enough sidewall bulge to protect the rim, distorted tire casings altering the feel of the tire at max angle, etc. If I was able to afford it, I'd definitely ride a set of the mega wide wheels for awhile to get a feeling on how they work. Intriguing for sure.
    friends don't let friends Fred

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt View Post
    Mavic wheels are so narrow cuz Mavic loves narrow wheels. I don't know why and the market is clearly going the other way.
    The market is going the other way, and I don't why ! For this, I'll stick with mavic. Narrower is better for grip.

Back to that Ibis. The only bike for now that could make me change my mind about 650b. This bike could be the one. I just hope it's as agressive as the HD/HDR are.
    French Expat' in Denver.

I ride a 30lbs, 6" travel, 26" bike since 2003, so don't make me change.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yody View Post

The question in my mind is, are the wider rims really that much better for everyone at all speeds, or do they have downfalls that people who love low air pressure and extra traction choose to ignore, or aren't exploiting them enough to find these downfalls. Things like not enough sidewall bulge to protect the rim, distorted tire casings altering the feel of the tire at max angle, etc.
    Wasn't Jeff KW racing them at EWS? I'm pretty sure he's exploiting them to the fullest. Be cool to hear his take

mtbr member

I believe someone from Mavic said at the release of those whels that they made the rear narrow because it's a racing wheel so they want light weight, and intend them to be used with a narrower & fast rolling tire for speed and maneuverability....which of course comes at the expense of volume and rim protection.
    I've used that Crossmax Roam rear tire on both a Flow and the Derby rim, and it's SOOO much better on the wide rim... better traction in all situations, with a much more grippy and absorbent ride. On the Flow I was bending rim beads with larger volume tires than the Mavic, so I didn't dare try lower than 28-29 psi. On the Derby's I'm running 24psi all day long in high speed chunk, and sometimes as low as 20-22.
    Yody, give a wide rim a try if you get a chance....it's hard to describe what 20psi with zero squirm in the corners feels like until you try it.
    Last edited by doismellbacon; 08-05-2014 at 04:48 AM.

mtbr member
    Jeff uses the wide wheels everywhere from what I have seen.

I have been using high pressure with my wide rims specifically for rim protection, but have run ultra low pressures with them in the past as well. There is still a noticeable difference with the wider rims and the way the sidewall is supported. Since the sidewall and tread corner is inline wit the bead and not outside it feels like the casing is better supported.

So the wide rims seem to support the casing better in corner with low pressure, but rim strikes from rocks at high speeds are a different issue. Wide rims will help this a little since they put more tread on the ground. More tread on the ground means more "inches" in the PSI calculation, but nothing beats higher pressure in certain situations.

Mavic is very clear about their new rims being race specific and not being durable for general use. Mavic is pretty resistant to change as evidenced by them not have a carbon mountain rim yet.

mtbr member
    BTW there are more pre production bikes running around DVille this weekend. One of my buddies is up there right now and posted pictures on some girl on one. Not sure who she was.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Off Ibis FB page "We have been high above Downieville in the Lakes Basin shooting video with Manu and Vale from Life Cycle for the last few days. Here's a non-riding shot."

things are looking pretty imminent...

mtbr member
    The mavic specific tires aren't that big, so neither are the rims. Its all about the combo. You would think Mavic would have a reason to do things they way they do.

I'm still not sold on the extra wide rim hype, but then again I've never spent any time on a set. A friend of mine has some of the Ibis rims on his Intense and I believe was running low'ish tire pressures at downieville (unless he aired them up later) a few weekends ago, and pinched his tire bad, both on the top tread and at the bead, and kept losing air pressure all weekend. No idea if he just munched it or if there was some kind of problem having the wide rim and a regular sized tire(hrII). My next set of wheels is likely to be the new 650B Easton Havocs which probably won't be mega wide (old versions are 23/28mm) so I'll likely never know.

The question in my mind is, are the wider rims really that much better for everyone at all speeds, or do they have downfalls that people who love low air pressure and extra traction choose to ignore, or aren't exploiting them enough to find these downfalls. Things like not enough sidewall bulge to protect the rim, distorted tire casings altering the feel of the tire at max angle, etc. If I was able to afford it, I'd definitely ride a set of the mega wide wheels for awhile to get a feeling on how they work. Intriguing for sure.
    He had issues because of the tire not the rim. Those maxxis HR2 exo not really thick enough to hold up to downieville abuse setup tubless imo. I mounted a rock razor super gravity on that back wheel and ran it at the normal low pressures I always use and it was non-issue and felt great. Personally I prefer wide wheels, they're more stable feeling with low pressures and keep the tire on the rim better. I used to roll my tires off the bead fairly regularly before going to the Flow EX's. The only way around it was to run less than ideal high pressures that felt like crap.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoS View Post
    He had issues because of the tire not the rim. Those maxxis HR2 exo not really thick enough to hold up to downieville abuse setup tubless imo. I mounted a rock razor super gravity on that back wheel and ran it at the normal low pressures I always use and it was non-issue and felt great. Personally I prefer wide wheels, they're more stable feeling with low pressures and keep the tire on the rim better. I used to roll my tires off the bead fairly regularly before going to the Flow EX's. The only way around it was to run less than ideal high pressures that felt like crap.
    Ima hafta disagree and say that the maxxis exo TR's are up to the task. Thats pretty much a 900 gram 60TPI tire with exo sidewall. I know a LOT of people who run those tires and don't pinch the beads. I was running a 700 gram purgatory grid out back and didn't have any issues. But really its downieville and who knows what happened. Just left me scratching my head when I saw a big scrape on the side of the rim and a cut bead. I have heard of a person I know who ran the ultra wide rims and the HR2 and said it was pretty much unridable it was so square. Dunno though thats the thing about mountain biking, everyones opinion is subjective.

I've been running havocs at 23 internal 28 external with a UST bead hook and pretty much never blow a bead off. I'm definitely intrigued by the wide hookless rims but not enough to buy a pair to try.

mtbr member

Knock on wood I've never blown a tire of the i25s can't say the same for flows

mtbr member
    Ima hafta disagree and say that the maxxis exo TR's are up to the task. Thats pretty much a 900 gram 60TPI tire with exo sidewall. I know a LOT of people who run those tires and don't pinch the beads. I was running a 700 gram purgatory grid out back and didn't have any issues. But really its downieville and who knows what happened. Just left me scratching my head when I saw a big scrape on the side of the rim and a cut bead. I have heard of a person I know who ran the ultra wide rims and the HR2 and said it was pretty much unridable it was so square. Dunno though thats the thing about mountain biking, everyones opinion is subjective.

I've been running havocs at 23 internal 28 external with a UST bead hook and pretty much never blow a bead off. I'm definitely intrigued by the wide hookless rims but not enough to buy a pair to try.
    I am running an HR2 on a Derby and going faster than ever. All personal preference like you said.

mtbr member
    Yeah, gonna hafta try some for myself at some point to really know.

Back to the program

mtbr member
    What frame is this on his right? New paint scheme for HDR? Does not look like the new proto?

Sponge Brain
    Mar 2009
    Looks like a Black and Blue SLR to me.
    Is ACC running a prototype?-2011331-ibis-8918.jpg

bike rider
    That's what's on the left but on the right looks like a white & black HDR.

mtbr member
    Those are Cobra Blue HDR's

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post

So the wide rims seem to support the casing better in corner with low pressure, but rim strikes from rocks at high speeds are a different issue. Wide rims will help this a little since they put more tread on the ground. More tread on the ground means more "inches" in the PSI calculation, but nothing beats higher pressure in certain situations.
    Couldn't agree more. Just because the wide rims allow you to run crazy low pressures doesn't mean you always should. I've let mine get down to 17f 19r and they felt nice and grippy on a mellow ride, but I'm not going to toss them into the chunk at those pressures.
    ...and most definitely, some tires take on a better shape than others on a wide rim...just like with any size.
    ..OK, back to the bike

OriginalDonk
    The girl on the proto Ibis is probably Valentina Macheda, an Italiana on the Life Cycle Enduro team.

The confusion from the Ibis factory photo seems to be coming from the guy who posted the photo referring to the guys' right, not the photo's right. I think we can all agree that we're lookin at blue SL-R'a and HDR's, probably from late last year.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Still no words from ibis about the new proto? Looks like this is going to be a long wait. Good though cuz I still have enough time to save and maybe sell my hdr 26"...

aka dan51

mtbr member
    Hmm Ripley would of been my choice there....nice to know water bottle fits with a reservoir shock....150 or 160 fork, hard to tell

aka dan51
    Hmm Ripley would of been my choice there....nice to know water bottle fits with a reservoir shock....150 or 160 fork, hard to tell
    True, but this would have been move fun on the later part

[put something cool here]
    Oct 2011
    I don't get used to the look of that pregnant downtube :-/ I miss the unique Mojo style.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Do we know for sure if it is a 150 or 160 rear? I'd be a little bummed if it was 150...

bike rider
    I thought it was posted farther back that it's 150. Judging by past results and having ridden the course, the Ripley is definitely the proper weapon for Dville. Also, I don't remember dismounting for any of the climb and I did it on a 185mm travel Genius LT with a Fox 180 fork. Not a pro but a factory employee?

The Crow
    From bikeradar.com

Pro Bike: Anne-Caroline Chausson’s Ibis prototype
    Pro Bike: Anne-Caroline Chausson?s Ibis prototype - BikeRadar

Is ACC running a prototype?-1406759835514-1m2gpaztax7q8-700-80.jpg
    There's a feeling I get
    When I look to the West
    And my spirit is crying for leaving

mtbr member
    not too slack, perfect

mtbr member
    When in the hell is Ibis going to release anything on this bike? Its already being raced all over the place, give us the goods!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Dig the cable path for the rear deraileur, internal routing covers, and the integrated chain stay protector. Only seems to be missing the down tube protector and production colors to be ready for prime-time.
    Nice!

BTW: at 150 in the rear and not too slack it might coax me off my overbuilt SL-R. I'm getting more and more excited about this bike. I guess all the teasing works.

Just had a look at the port covers again, looks like the upper had to be drilled and then the lower may be a machined part. Not quite ready?

mtbr member
    not too slack, perfect
    Cue the haters......

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Since there are angled headsets available, head angles are somewhat a minor point of disussion. As long as there are no stupid road bike headtubes involved.

bike rider
    not too slack, perfect
    It's sounding like this is a replacement for the HD-R, not a bigger slacker stablemate.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt View Post
    It's sounding like this is a replacement for the HD-R, not a bigger slacker stablemate.
    Perfect (for me). I'd just buy a nomad if I wanted that, pretty hard to match what SC did with it if you wanted a race bike like that. The bronson feels good but a bit long and clumsy to me, been waiting on a replacement for this ol HD

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    It would be cool if they could keep the HD 140/160 idea going, without the need for a different size shock. Would make for a very versatile bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by marcoton21 View Post
    Since there are angled headsets available, head angles are somewhat a minor point of disussion.
    One would think.

mtbr member
    Looks sweet to me!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by digitalhippie13 View Post
    Looks sweet to me!
    Do you mean online or in the flesh…..?

I remember your sweet little vids for the launch of the HDR.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AaGro View Post
    Only seems to be missing the down tube protector and production colors to be ready for prime-time.

Looks like there is a downtube protector, just does not run up as high as the HD/HDR

Go get that KOM "You Deserve" - http://www.digitalepo.com/index.php

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by TahoeBC View Post
    Looks like there is a downtube protector, just does not run up as high as the HD/
    Yeah, I saw that but thought it looked more like a makeshift add-on than a real part. I could be wrong but the corners just look too square to me.

mtbr member
    Looks very much like what my carbon fat bike came with, maybe without water bottle cage underneath the downtube and without a cable routing down there, they will just do an integrated protector.

mtbr member

Check out ACC's new kit. Looks like a Cobra Blue enduro jersey. From Pinkbikes whistler coverage. Is ACC running a prototype?-acc.jpg
    Last edited by doismellbacon; 08-08-2014 at 05:07 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by doismellbacon View Post
    Check out ACC's new kit. Looks like a Cobra Blue enduro jersey. From Pinkbikes whistler coverage.
    Came here to post the same thing. Nice looking jersey.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Ibis had these on display at Downieville. There are two that match the HDR color way and two that match the Ripley

mtbr member
    The full pic from above, Ronski sporting a reverse Vitamin P

mtbr member
    is that a Ripley HD in the center?

mtbr member
    Nope

mtbr member
    Valentina and Manuel check out some history in Graeagle
    Is ACC running a prototype?-history.jpg

Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast