Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 401 to 500 of 757
  1. #401
    mtbr member
    Reputation: wilks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,231

    Is ACC running a prototype?

    I assume enduro wheels are so narrow due to weight? I loved my 823s but the were heavy. I ride i25s on my HD avd love them. Like them more than the Flows on the Knolly

  2. #402
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Salespunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    5,057
    I am running Derby's and they work amazingly well

  3. #403
    bike rider
    Reputation: Lelandjt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    4,970
    Quote Originally Posted by wilks View Post
    I assume enduro wheels are so narrow due to weight? I loved my 823s but the were heavy. I ride i25s on my HD avd love them. Like them more than the Flows on the Knolly
    Mavic wheels are so narrow cuz Mavic loves narrow wheels. I don't know why and the market is clearly going the other way.
    Keep the Country country.

  4. #404
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Yody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    3,175
    The mavic specific tires aren't that big, so neither are the rims. Its all about the combo. You would think Mavic would have a reason to do things they way they do.

    I'm still not sold on the extra wide rim hype, but then again I've never spent any time on a set. A friend of mine has some of the Ibis rims on his Intense and I believe was running low'ish tire pressures at downieville (unless he aired them up later) a few weekends ago, and pinched his tire bad, both on the top tread and at the bead, and kept losing air pressure all weekend. No idea if he just munched it or if there was some kind of problem having the wide rim and a regular sized tire(hrII). My next set of wheels is likely to be the new 650B Easton Havocs which probably won't be mega wide (old versions are 23/28mm) so I'll likely never know.

    The question in my mind is, are the wider rims really that much better for everyone at all speeds, or do they have downfalls that people who love low air pressure and extra traction choose to ignore, or aren't exploiting them enough to find these downfalls. Things like not enough sidewall bulge to protect the rim, distorted tire casings altering the feel of the tire at max angle, etc. If I was able to afford it, I'd definitely ride a set of the mega wide wheels for awhile to get a feeling on how they work. Intriguing for sure.
    friends don't let friends Fred

  5. #405
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    265
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt View Post
    Mavic wheels are so narrow cuz Mavic loves narrow wheels. I don't know why and the market is clearly going the other way.
    The market is going the other way, and I don't why ! For this, I'll stick with mavic. Narrower is better for grip.

    Back to that Ibis. The only bike for now that could make me change my mind about 650b. This bike could be the one. I just hope it's as agressive as the HD/HDR are.
    French line enthusiast and expat in Denver

    I like bikes, I really do.

  6. #406
    mtbr member
    Reputation: agleck7's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    118
    Quote Originally Posted by Yody View Post

    The question in my mind is, are the wider rims really that much better for everyone at all speeds, or do they have downfalls that people who love low air pressure and extra traction choose to ignore, or aren't exploiting them enough to find these downfalls. Things like not enough sidewall bulge to protect the rim, distorted tire casings altering the feel of the tire at max angle, etc.
    Wasn't Jeff KW racing them at EWS? I'm pretty sure he's exploiting them to the fullest. Be cool to hear his take

  7. #407
    mtbr member
    Reputation: doismellbacon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    2,332

    Is ACC running a prototype?

    I believe someone from Mavic said at the release of those whels that they made the rear narrow because it's a racing wheel so they want light weight, and intend them to be used with a narrower & fast rolling tire for speed and maneuverability....which of course comes at the expense of volume and rim protection.
    I've used that Crossmax Roam rear tire on both a Flow and the Derby rim, and it's SOOO much better on the wide rim... better traction in all situations, with a much more grippy and absorbent ride. On the Flow I was bending rim beads with larger volume tires than the Mavic, so I didn't dare try lower than 28-29 psi. On the Derby's I'm running 24psi all day long in high speed chunk, and sometimes as low as 20-22.
    Yody, give a wide rim a try if you get a chance....it's hard to describe what 20psi with zero squirm in the corners feels like until you try it.
    Last edited by doismellbacon; 08-05-2014 at 04:48 AM.

  8. #408
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Salespunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    5,057
    Jeff uses the wide wheels everywhere from what I have seen.

    I have been using high pressure with my wide rims specifically for rim protection, but have run ultra low pressures with them in the past as well. There is still a noticeable difference with the wider rims and the way the sidewall is supported. Since the sidewall and tread corner is inline wit the bead and not outside it feels like the casing is better supported.

    So the wide rims seem to support the casing better in corner with low pressure, but rim strikes from rocks at high speeds are a different issue. Wide rims will help this a little since they put more tread on the ground. More tread on the ground means more "inches" in the PSI calculation, but nothing beats higher pressure in certain situations.

    Mavic is very clear about their new rims being race specific and not being durable for general use. Mavic is pretty resistant to change as evidenced by them not have a carbon mountain rim yet.

  9. #409
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Salespunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    5,057
    BTW there are more pre production bikes running around DVille this weekend. One of my buddies is up there right now and posted pictures on some girl on one. Not sure who she was.

  10. #410
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    450
    Off Ibis FB page "We have been high above Downieville in the Lakes Basin shooting video with Manu and Vale from Life Cycle for the last few days. Here's a non-riding shot."

    things are looking pretty imminent...

  11. #411
    mtbr member
    Reputation: PhoS's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    64
    Quote Originally Posted by Yody View Post
    The mavic specific tires aren't that big, so neither are the rims. Its all about the combo. You would think Mavic would have a reason to do things they way they do.

    I'm still not sold on the extra wide rim hype, but then again I've never spent any time on a set. A friend of mine has some of the Ibis rims on his Intense and I believe was running low'ish tire pressures at downieville (unless he aired them up later) a few weekends ago, and pinched his tire bad, both on the top tread and at the bead, and kept losing air pressure all weekend. No idea if he just munched it or if there was some kind of problem having the wide rim and a regular sized tire(hrII). My next set of wheels is likely to be the new 650B Easton Havocs which probably won't be mega wide (old versions are 23/28mm) so I'll likely never know.

    The question in my mind is, are the wider rims really that much better for everyone at all speeds, or do they have downfalls that people who love low air pressure and extra traction choose to ignore, or aren't exploiting them enough to find these downfalls. Things like not enough sidewall bulge to protect the rim, distorted tire casings altering the feel of the tire at max angle, etc. If I was able to afford it, I'd definitely ride a set of the mega wide wheels for awhile to get a feeling on how they work. Intriguing for sure.
    He had issues because of the tire not the rim. Those maxxis HR2 exo not really thick enough to hold up to downieville abuse setup tubless imo. I mounted a rock razor super gravity on that back wheel and ran it at the normal low pressures I always use and it was non-issue and felt great. Personally I prefer wide wheels, they're more stable feeling with low pressures and keep the tire on the rim better. I used to roll my tires off the bead fairly regularly before going to the Flow EX's. The only way around it was to run less than ideal high pressures that felt like crap.

  12. #412
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Yody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    3,175
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoS View Post
    He had issues because of the tire not the rim. Those maxxis HR2 exo not really thick enough to hold up to downieville abuse setup tubless imo. I mounted a rock razor super gravity on that back wheel and ran it at the normal low pressures I always use and it was non-issue and felt great. Personally I prefer wide wheels, they're more stable feeling with low pressures and keep the tire on the rim better. I used to roll my tires off the bead fairly regularly before going to the Flow EX's. The only way around it was to run less than ideal high pressures that felt like crap.
    Ima hafta disagree and say that the maxxis exo TR's are up to the task. Thats pretty much a 900 gram 60TPI tire with exo sidewall. I know a LOT of people who run those tires and don't pinch the beads. I was running a 700 gram purgatory grid out back and didn't have any issues. But really its downieville and who knows what happened. Just left me scratching my head when I saw a big scrape on the side of the rim and a cut bead. I have heard of a person I know who ran the ultra wide rims and the HR2 and said it was pretty much unridable it was so square. Dunno though thats the thing about mountain biking, everyones opinion is subjective.

    I've been running havocs at 23 internal 28 external with a UST bead hook and pretty much never blow a bead off. I'm definitely intrigued by the wide hookless rims but not enough to buy a pair to try.
    friends don't let friends Fred

  13. #413
    mtbr member
    Reputation: wilks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,231

    Is ACC running a prototype?

    Knock on wood I've never blown a tire of the i25s can't say the same for flows

  14. #414
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Salespunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    5,057
    Quote Originally Posted by Yody View Post
    Ima hafta disagree and say that the maxxis exo TR's are up to the task. Thats pretty much a 900 gram 60TPI tire with exo sidewall. I know a LOT of people who run those tires and don't pinch the beads. I was running a 700 gram purgatory grid out back and didn't have any issues. But really its downieville and who knows what happened. Just left me scratching my head when I saw a big scrape on the side of the rim and a cut bead. I have heard of a person I know who ran the ultra wide rims and the HR2 and said it was pretty much unridable it was so square. Dunno though thats the thing about mountain biking, everyones opinion is subjective.

    I've been running havocs at 23 internal 28 external with a UST bead hook and pretty much never blow a bead off. I'm definitely intrigued by the wide hookless rims but not enough to buy a pair to try.
    I am running an HR2 on a Derby and going faster than ever. All personal preference like you said.

  15. #415
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Yody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    3,175
    Yeah, gonna hafta try some for myself at some point to really know.

    Back to the program
    friends don't let friends Fred

  16. #416
    mtbr member
    Reputation: cmarshack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    368
    What frame is this on his right? New paint scheme for HDR? Does not look like the new proto?




  17. #417
    Sponge Brain
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    131
    Looks like a Black and Blue SLR to me.
    Is ACC running a prototype?-2011331-ibis-8918.jpg

  18. #418
    bike rider
    Reputation: Lelandjt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    4,970
    That's what's on the left but on the right looks like a white & black HDR.
    Keep the Country country.

  19. #419
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Salespunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    5,057
    Those are Cobra Blue HDR's

  20. #420
    mtbr member
    Reputation: doismellbacon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    2,332
    Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post

    So the wide rims seem to support the casing better in corner with low pressure, but rim strikes from rocks at high speeds are a different issue. Wide rims will help this a little since they put more tread on the ground. More tread on the ground means more "inches" in the PSI calculation, but nothing beats higher pressure in certain situations.
    Couldn't agree more. Just because the wide rims allow you to run crazy low pressures doesn't mean you always should. I've let mine get down to 17f 19r and they felt nice and grippy on a mellow ride, but I'm not going to toss them into the chunk at those pressures.
    ...and most definitely, some tires take on a better shape than others on a wide rim...just like with any size.
    ..OK, back to the bike

  21. #421
    OriginalDonk
    Reputation: OriginalDonk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    446
    The girl on the proto Ibis is probably Valentina Macheda, an Italiana on the Life Cycle Enduro team.

    The confusion from the Ibis factory photo seems to be coming from the guy who posted the photo referring to the guys' right, not the photo's right. I think we can all agree that we're lookin at blue SL-R'a and HDR's, probably from late last year.

  22. #422
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    135
    Still no words from ibis about the new proto? Looks like this is going to be a long wait. Good though cuz I still have enough time to save and maybe sell my hdr 26"...

  23. #423
    aka dan51
    Reputation: d-bug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    5,974

  24. #424
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Yody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    3,175
    Hmm Ripley would of been my choice there....nice to know water bottle fits with a reservoir shock....150 or 160 fork, hard to tell
    friends don't let friends Fred

  25. #425
    aka dan51
    Reputation: d-bug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    5,974
    Quote Originally Posted by Yody View Post
    Hmm Ripley would of been my choice there....nice to know water bottle fits with a reservoir shock....150 or 160 fork, hard to tell
    True, but this would have been move fun on the later part

  26. #426
    [put something cool here]
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    177
    I don't get used to the look of that pregnant downtube :-/ I miss the unique Mojo style.

  27. #427
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    266
    Do we know for sure if it is a 150 or 160 rear? I'd be a little bummed if it was 150...

  28. #428
    bike rider
    Reputation: Lelandjt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    4,970
    I thought it was posted farther back that it's 150. Judging by past results and having ridden the course, the Ripley is definitely the proper weapon for Dville. Also, I don't remember dismounting for any of the climb and I did it on a 185mm travel Genius LT with a Fox 180 fork. Not a pro but a factory employee?
    Keep the Country country.

  29. #429
    The Crow
    Reputation: Iwan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    937
    From bikeradar.com

    Pro Bike: Anne-Caroline Chausson’s Ibis prototype
    Pro Bike: Anne-Caroline Chausson?s Ibis prototype - BikeRadar

    Is ACC running a prototype?-1406759835514-1m2gpaztax7q8-700-80.jpg
    There's a feeling I get
    When I look to the West
    And my spirit is crying for leaving

  30. #430
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Yody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    3,175
    not too slack, perfect
    friends don't let friends Fred

  31. #431
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Yody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    3,175
    When in the hell is Ibis going to release anything on this bike? Its already being raced all over the place, give us the goods!
    friends don't let friends Fred

  32. #432
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    271
    Dig the cable path for the rear deraileur, internal routing covers, and the integrated chain stay protector. Only seems to be missing the down tube protector and production colors to be ready for prime-time.
    Nice!

    BTW: at 150 in the rear and not too slack it might coax me off my overbuilt SL-R. I'm getting more and more excited about this bike. I guess all the teasing works.

    Just had a look at the port covers again, looks like the upper had to be drilled and then the lower may be a machined part. Not quite ready?

  33. #433
    mtbr member
    Reputation: neilether's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    527
    Quote Originally Posted by Yody View Post
    not too slack, perfect
    Cue the haters......

  34. #434
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    170
    Since there are angled headsets available, head angles are somewhat a minor point of disussion. As long as there are no stupid road bike headtubes involved.

  35. #435
    bike rider
    Reputation: Lelandjt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    4,970
    Quote Originally Posted by Yody View Post
    not too slack, perfect
    It's sounding like this is a replacement for the HD-R, not a bigger slacker stablemate.
    Keep the Country country.

  36. #436
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Yody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    3,175
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt View Post
    It's sounding like this is a replacement for the HD-R, not a bigger slacker stablemate.
    Perfect (for me). I'd just buy a nomad if I wanted that, pretty hard to match what SC did with it if you wanted a race bike like that. The bronson feels good but a bit long and clumsy to me, been waiting on a replacement for this ol HD
    friends don't let friends Fred

  37. #437
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    174
    It would be cool if they could keep the HD 140/160 idea going, without the need for a different size shock. Would make for a very versatile bike.

  38. #438
    mtbr member
    Reputation: doismellbacon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    2,332
    Quote Originally Posted by marcoton21 View Post
    Since there are angled headsets available, head angles are somewhat a minor point of disussion.
    One would think.

  39. #439
    mtbr member
    Reputation: digitalhippie13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    744
    Looks sweet to me!

  40. #440
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    149
    Quote Originally Posted by digitalhippie13 View Post
    Looks sweet to me!
    Do you mean online or in the flesh…..?

    I remember your sweet little vids for the launch of the HDR.

  41. #441
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TahoeBC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    5,803
    Quote Originally Posted by AaGro View Post
    Only seems to be missing the down tube protector and production colors to be ready for prime-time.

    Looks like there is a downtube protector, just does not run up as high as the HD/HDR

    Go get that KOM "You Deserve" - http://www.digitalepo.com/index.php

  42. #442
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    271
    Quote Originally Posted by TahoeBC View Post
    Looks like there is a downtube protector, just does not run up as high as the HD/
    Yeah, I saw that but thought it looked more like a makeshift add-on than a real part. I could be wrong but the corners just look too square to me.

  43. #443
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TahoeBC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    5,803
    Looks very much like what my carbon fat bike came with, maybe without water bottle cage underneath the downtube and without a cable routing down there, they will just do an integrated protector.
    Go get that KOM "You Deserve" - http://www.digitalepo.com/index.php

  44. #444
    mtbr member
    Reputation: doismellbacon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    2,332

    Is ACC running a prototype?

    Check out ACC's new kit. Looks like a Cobra Blue enduro jersey. From Pinkbikes whistler coverage. Is ACC running a prototype?-acc.jpg
    Last edited by doismellbacon; 08-08-2014 at 05:07 AM.

  45. #445
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    271
    Quote Originally Posted by doismellbacon View Post
    Check out ACC's new kit. Looks like a Cobra Blue enduro jersey. From Pinkbikes whistler coverage.
    Came here to post the same thing. Nice looking jersey.

  46. #446
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    87
    Ibis had these on display at Downieville. There are two that match the HDR color way and two that match the Ripley

  47. #447
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TahoeBC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    5,803
    The full pic from above, Ronski sporting a reverse Vitamin P

    Go get that KOM "You Deserve" - http://www.digitalepo.com/index.php

  48. #448
    mtbr member
    Reputation: odin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    196
    is that a Ripley HD in the center?

  49. #449
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ronski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,130
    Nope

  50. #450
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ronski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,130
    Valentina and Manuel check out some history in Graeagle
    Is ACC running a prototype?-history.jpg

  51. #451
    Too Much Fun
    Reputation: benja55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    2,232

    Not enduro enuff

    ...I'm not sure how I feel about the head angle on that new, blue Ibis.

    Hmmmm, grrrrrr, shnarf, shnarf....

    Quote Originally Posted by ronski View Post
    Valentina and Manuel check out some history in Graeagle
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	history.jpg 
Views:	294 
Size:	201.6 KB 
ID:	914331
    - -benja- -

  52. #452
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ronski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,130
    Quote Originally Posted by benja55 View Post
    ...I'm not sure how I feel about the head angle on that new, blue Ibis.

    Hmmmm, grrrrrr, shnarf, shnarf....
    Haha. The built in Portage Strap is pretty Enduro however. The other side of the bike is a different color, sort of a maroon. Still owned by the original owner who raced it back in the day.

  53. #453
    mtbr member
    Reputation: doismellbacon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    2,332

    Is ACC running a prototype?

    Soooo,
    Headsets on the prototype.... Seems like some pics show inset bottom cup, some are external. The bike in the background of that last pic is inset, maybe even with a straight steerer fork.....? Somebody want a lower/steeper setup?

  54. #454
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Salespunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    5,057
    Quote Originally Posted by marcoton21 View Post
    Since there are angled headsets available, head angles are somewhat a minor point of disussion. As long as there are no stupid road bike headtubes involved.
    Anglesets change more than the HA, they also drop the BB and lengthen the WB. Good option, but not a cure all.

  55. #455
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    38
    Ibis has updated their website with a photo from the EWS, hopefully this acknowledgement of their prototype will yield some more information about it.

  56. #456
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    135
    They are so quiet about it. Can't they just confirm if it is a 150 or 160 travel bike?

  57. #457
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    703
    150mm travel, not ready before Eurobike from someone who "supposedly" knows and has held it in their greedy paws.
    No info on any other numbers was forwarded.

  58. #458
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    170
    ...well, the Nomad has different seat angle, reach, lower BB, more travel too. That makes for quite a different geo to my knowledge.

  59. #459
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    135
    I was looking at the geo stats of hdr26 and the new nomad 650. I was blown away that there is not much of a difference. The only diff I notice was the head angle and wheel based. Correct me if I'm wrong, but my wild guess is that these are the only 2 things Ibis would tweak to make the prototype bike more dh oriented. Otherwise these is just going to be another hdr with 160 travel on 650 platform.

  60. #460
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Salespunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    5,057
    Differences are HA, reach, ST angle, BB height etc. only similarity is chainstay length.

    Marcontin my comment about anglesets was to point out that using one changes more than the HA. Yes the Nomad has completely different numbers but I also think they have different target markets.

  61. #461
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    170
    Agreed. I run a 1.5 angleset in my HD, and it changes reach and wheelbase a bit too. BB height comes down a bit, but like 2mm, which I find neglectable.

    The old Nomad was almost identical to the HD in its geometry. The new one ist not much of a trailbike anymore. Its made to descend with authority and takes a compromise uphill. Maybe less of a one-bike-for-all, than what Ibis will come out with.

    Only thing that bothers me (apart from the bellied down tube) is the seeming 150mm of travel on the new rig. For the alps here, 160 simply is better. And honestly, most people like me don't have skills or strength to comensate shorter travel on ngarly terrain. Pros often run their suspension crazy stiff anyhow for effiency.

  62. #462
    mtbr member
    Reputation: agleck7's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    118
    Quote Originally Posted by marcoton21 View Post
    Agreed. I run a 1.5 angleset in my HD, and it changes reach and wheelbase a bit too.
    Shortens the reach a bit, right?

  63. #463
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    170
    nope, it gets slightly longer. like 5mm or so.

  64. #464
    mtbr member
    Reputation: doismellbacon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    2,332
    Let's get our terminology straight, folks.....

    BB to front axle is "Front Center", not "Reach"... an angleset will change front center along with HA, BB height, etc., but makes zero change to reach, which is the horizontal distance between a vertical line through the BB and the center of the steerer tube at the top of the top tube.

    Carry on

  65. #465
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,173
    From what I understand, reach and stack are the short sides of a right triangle (reach is the horizontal and stack the vertical) from the top of the headtube to the bottom bracket (see photo here: Reach and stack based sizing for mountain bikes - Pinkbike). So, lowering the front end via an AngleSet or shorter fork will increase reach.

    ETA: But looking at Ibis's geometry page for the Ripley with its two different forks (120mm and 140mm) their measurements do not jibe with my geometry. In fact, they go the other direction. Hmmm. I am definitely confused and am wiling to wait and see exactly what Ibis measures as their stack and reach. Hans?

  66. #466
    mtbr member
    Reputation: doismellbacon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    2,332

    Is ACC running a prototype?

    OK, saying "Zero change" is not technically correct, but the change in reach from dropping the front of the bike a few mm with an angleset is going to be insignificantly small.

  67. #467
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    580
    Really wish we could get a few more tidbits of info. Still trying to decide if I:
    1. Grab this new mystery frame and move my XX1 kit over to this
    2. Opt for wagon wheels and go with the Ripley
    3. Update the Mojo SL to 650B, grab a DB Inline, and some Derby wheels with King hubs


    Seems insane to make any decision until we see what this new rig is all about and when it will be available.

  68. #468
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,173
    If I had to hazard a guess, I would say that Ibis wanted to incorporate ACC's and the rest of the EWS riders feedback and thoughts into the new prototype before announcing. Perhaps they have some changes to make before building it.

    However, it may just be that Ibis is waiting on frames and parts to arrive in large enough numbers to go public and start selling them at the same time.

  69. #469
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    580
    Given the cost of the molds, I doubt they're making any changes to the frame itself. At this point, they might be finalizing paint/decals and part specs. Hoping they launch with some volume too.

  70. #470
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,173
    Yes, I would hope that the frame is set now. I was thinking more of shock rates, fork settings and lengths and maybe things such as stem and bar sizes, stock settings and parts spec. I am hopeful they are just waiting on having enough of all sizes and colors of frames to open up the floodgates on sales.

  71. #471
    mtbr member
    Reputation: DrewBird's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    974
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelly_NH View Post
    Given the cost of the molds, I doubt they're making any changes to the frame itself. At this point, they might be finalizing paint/decals and part specs. Hoping they launch with some volume too.
    They will certainly not change major shape/geo, but even with molds made they could be testing different hardware options. Think links (both length and shape), pivot axles and bearings etc. I mean, the Ripley's hardware has been heavily revamped since launch, with different eccentric cores, bolts etc., and that all fits the same CF molds. Different link options could also change spring rates.

    For that type of stuff you really need someone to thrash the hell out of the bike in the real world, so could still be a while before it's finalized & on the market.

  72. #472
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    135
    Will they just kill our 26" once this thing is out?

  73. #473
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,173
    Quote Originally Posted by DRSpalding View Post
    From what I understand, reach and stack are the short sides of a right triangle (reach is the horizontal and stack the vertical) from the top of the headtube to the bottom bracket (see photo here: Reach and stack based sizing for mountain bikes - Pinkbike). So, lowering the front end via an AngleSet or shorter fork will increase reach.

    ETA: But looking at Ibis's geometry page for the Ripley with its two different forks (120mm and 140mm) their measurements do not jibe with my geometry. In fact, they go the other direction. Hmmm. I am definitely confused and am wiling to wait and see exactly what Ibis measures as their stack and reach. Hans?
    Ok, I re-looked the Ibis Ripley geometry and I had it right and misread the headings. The 140mm fork reduces the reach compared to the 120mm. Or, conversely, going from a 140mm fork to a 120mm fork increased the reach as I expected. I should have been paying better attention but Scotch was involved, I think.

  74. #474
    mtbr member
    Reputation: doismellbacon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    2,332
    Mmmmmm Scotch

  75. #475
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,173
    Quote Originally Posted by doismellbacon View Post
    Mmmmmm Scotch
    And it was good Scotch--15 year old Glenlivet.

  76. #476
    mtbr member
    Reputation: starship303's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    292
    Here is another recent profile shot for the geo-geeks out there... Everyone get your protractors out!

    Link to photo page with large 1600x1065px image...
    Bikes of the EWS at Colin Meagher photo in San Diego, California, United States - photo by RichardCunningham - Pinkbike

    Cut n paste for the lazy...
    Is ACC running a prototype?-9iepylu.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Is ACC running a prototype?-acc_new_ibis.jpg  


  77. #477
    Ibis Addict
    Reputation: kidmojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    91
    I like so much better the original shape of the Ibis Mojo HD than this prototype.

  78. #478
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Yody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    3,175
    actually with the light shining on it you can see all the angles of the frame, its growing on me. I think it will be beautiful with paint on it. Can't wait
    friends don't let friends Fred

  79. #479
    Too Much Fun
    Reputation: benja55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    2,232
    It's a gorgeous shape. As I've said elsewhere, we're jaded by the original, classic Mojo (C, SL, HD) lines which are timeless. This new frame has some more nuanced lines IMO, but overall I've come to really like it.
    - -benja- -

  80. #480
    mtbr member
    Reputation: squareback's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,453
    This time around, it looks like somebody remembered that a mountain bike has cables, before finalizing the design.

  81. #481
    The Crow
    Reputation: Iwan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    937
    Quote Originally Posted by squareback View Post
    This time around, it looks like somebody remembered that a mountain bike has cables, before finalizing the design.
    Sadly have to agree with you here. Still not so sure about providing for both Lev and Stealth. It's nice to have options I suppose.
    There's a feeling I get
    When I look to the West
    And my spirit is crying for leaving

  82. #482
    screamer
    Reputation: budgie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,275
    Not sure if anyone saw the poll that Ibis posted on The Book of Faces asking which bike we'd like to see/buy next: 29er 150mm, or 27.5 120, 150 or 170mm? Maybe they're messing with us & are releasing all four. Unlikely, yes, but wouldn't that be swell? (Maybe the enduroproto is 150/170 swappable?)

    Eurobike in 1 week.
    On heavy rotation: White Lung: Deep Fantasy

  83. #483
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Yody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    3,175
    I hope so, because its almost a Turn-Off making us wait for details for so long. We all have been waiting for this bike forever, cruel to tease us when the bike is obviously a finished piece. Probably just waiting for the factories to be ready for production.
    friends don't let friends Fred

  84. #484
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    26
    Ordered a Capra...

  85. #485
    Lightly salted
    Reputation: fuenstock's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,348
    Yes, the hype is fading, give us more details please!

  86. #486
    mtbr member
    Reputation: PhoS's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    64
    Quote Originally Posted by Yody View Post
    I hope so, because its almost a Turn-Off making us wait for details for so long. We all have been waiting for this bike forever, cruel to tease us when the bike is obviously a finished piece. Probably just waiting for the factories to be ready for production.
    I guess i'm surprised they've let it be seen this much and have yet to release ANY details. Seems kinda like a massive marketing fail when the competition is already selling their bikes. I think they're testing the will of the true ibis fanboys, this feels like a repeat of the crap Turner was pulling a few years back. (ie: hyped vaporware bikes that never made it to fruition)

  87. #487
    mtbr member
    Reputation: wilks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,231

    Is ACC running a prototype?

    With turner I assume you are talking about the RFX? That's one bike. You are implying there were several. Give ibis a break they've only just started showing the prototypes. Maybe now they are receiving feedback from The racers and tweaking shock tunes etc. etc. People have waited this long for a dedicated 650B Ibis so why not wait a little bit longer?

  88. #488
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Yody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    3,175
    I'm hearing next spring
    friends don't let friends Fred

  89. #489
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    2,895
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoS View Post
    Seems kinda like a massive marketing fail when the competition is already selling their bikes.
    Alternatively, their current bikes might still be very successful (Ripley, HDR) and Ibis is not in a rush. Based on what I hear from one bike shop owner, existing Ibis bikes still sell like hot cakes.

  90. #490
    mtbr member
    Reputation: PhoS's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    64
    LOL, try to sell an Ibis right now. Ain't happening.. I've seen folks trying to sell(read: give away) the same bikes for months now.

  91. #491
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    643

    Is ACC running a prototype?

    Quote Originally Posted by PhoS View Post
    LOL, try to sell an Ibis right now. Ain't happening.. I've seen folks trying to sell(read: give away) the same bikes for months now.
    If $3000 to $5000+ on eBay for an HD is giving them away I guess you are right. I don't think you can throw a Mojo SL 26 inch bike into that category.

  92. #492
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    546
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoS View Post
    LOL, try to sell an Ibis right now. Ain't happening.. I've seen folks trying to sell(read: give away) the same bikes for months now.
    Really?!? Where are these "give away" deals? I wouldn't mind a backup White HD in Medium.

  93. #493
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Yody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    3,175
    Did anyone hear me about waiting till spring....at least could release the geo...
    friends don't let friends Fred

  94. #494
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Salespunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    5,057
    Yody if they rally aren't releasing anything till spring it is even worse than the delays with the Ripley. At least then nobody had seen the bike yet!

  95. #495
    Sponge Brain
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    131
    Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
    Yody if they rally aren't releasing anything till spring it is even worse than the delays with the Ripley. At least then nobody had seen the bike yet!
    Thats not really true.

    Bike was shown off in 2011 at Interbike.

    Evan Plews was racing the Ripley while it still had bushings in the eccentrics (testing that resulted in the change to bearings).

    Ripley released spring 2013...

  96. #496
    mtbr member
    Reputation: trap121's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    331

    Is ACC running a prototype?

    Next spring??? I can't wait that long.

    Anyone have a small used HD for sale??

  97. #497
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    50
    Hi guys,
    the new bike is at the Eurobike. Here some numbers:
    - wheels standard: 27.5″.
    - rear travel: 150mm .
    - Head angle: 66.5° .
    - Top tube 20mm longer than the previous Mojo, for each size.
    - 2.5″ rear tire room.
    - internal cable routing exit from the downtube.
    - three colors availability.
    - frame availability 6-8 weeks.
    No more details at the moment.

  98. #498
    The Crow
    Reputation: Iwan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    937
    Quote Originally Posted by abraradam View Post
    Hi guys,
    the new bike is at the Eurobike. Here some numbers:
    - wheels standard: 27.5″.
    - rear travel: 150mm .
    - Head angle: 66.5° .
    - Top tube 20mm longer than the previous Mojo, for each size.
    - 2.5″ rear tire room.
    - internal cable routing exit from the downtube.
    - three colors availability.
    - frame availability 6-8 weeks.
    No more details at the moment.
    Those are great numbers.
    There's a feeling I get
    When I look to the West
    And my spirit is crying for leaving

  99. #499
    mtbr member
    Reputation: doismellbacon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    2,332
    Quote Originally Posted by abraradam View Post
    Hi guys,
    the new bike is at the Eurobike. Here some numbers:
    - wheels standard: 27.5″.
    - rear travel: 150mm .
    - Head angle: 66.5° .
    - Top tube 20mm longer than the previous Mojo, for each size.
    - 2.5″ rear tire room.
    - internal cable routing exit from the downtube.
    - three colors availability.
    - frame availability 6-8 weeks.
    No more details at the moment.
    That all sounds really good! Should make a lot of people happy.

  100. #500
    Lightly salted
    Reputation: fuenstock's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,348
    Quote Originally Posted by abraradam View Post
    Hi guys,
    the new bike is at the Eurobike. Here some numbers:
    - wheels standard: 27.5″.
    - rear travel: 150mm .
    - Head angle: 66.5° .
    - Top tube 20mm longer than the previous Mojo, for each size.
    - 2.5″ rear tire room.
    - internal cable routing exit from the downtube.
    - three colors availability.
    - frame availability 6-8 weeks.
    No more details at the moment.
    Awsome! From pictures I've seen it also looks like the seat tube length has been reduced slightly per frame size?

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. New WFO prototype
    By teamdicky in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 08-01-2013, 07:26 AM
  2. Through-axle prototype
    By dmode101 in forum Santa Cruz
    Replies: 73
    Last Post: 08-09-2012, 08:03 AM
  3. RFX prototype!
    By Dusty Bottoms in forum Turner
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 11-12-2011, 07:26 AM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-24-2011, 12:24 PM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-16-2011, 10:12 AM

Members who have read this thread: 1

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •