mtbr member
    Jan 2004

about that Ibis seatpost

Who builds it?

Actual weight?

I have a Thomson post, and while it's the standard with no faults, I do like the Ibis post's looks a bit better.

Cost from Ibis?

mtbr member

Ibis Seat Post

DanK,

In regard to the Ibis seat post, for a 350 mm x 31.6 post it weighs about 235 g (don't quote me on this because it's late, I'm at home, the post and the scale are in the office).

Where does it come from?

A little known fact is that Hans and I helped develop the Taiwan bicycle component industry - unintentionally. About 15 years ago we worked together to start Titec Cycle. At the time nobody was making high quality components in Taiwan. They had the manufacturing horsepower, but not the impetus to do it. So with a big assist from Keith Bontrager we pushed them to make some good stuff.

The point being that what we taught them in regard to testing standards and quality control has become the status quo for the leaders in the bicycle industry. So, in a manner of speaking, Ibis is now reaping the benefits of all the hard work we did back then. Because of our backgrounds we know where to get the good sh*t - so to speak.

The seat post you asked about is a 3D forged 7075 part. It is phenomenally strong and decently light. In fact, we haven't really hyped the virtue of the Ibis labeled components, but I can say with some degree of certainty that it you put the components we are spec'ing on the $3,299 SX up against anyone else (including the big 3) and we would beat them in terms of materials and manufacturing technology. We don't really intend to get back into the component business, but we won't put dookie on our bikes.

Anyway, it's a good seat post.

PS - I just weighed the post, 223g!
    Last edited by Tall Tom; 10-27-2006 at 08:55 AM.