Results 1 to 23 of 23
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    679

    About to become an Ibisian!

    After the demo day a couple of weeks ago here in Western WA at Duthie and riding the SL-R, I had pretty much decided that it was the bike for me. I was prepared to wait too, but I just got a call from one of the Ibis dealers here in the area that they had a medium, silver SL-R with the XT kit, coming in NOW. I may even have it for the weekend. It will be getting upgraded to the XTR Shadow Plus derailleur, an Angleset headset, and HD downtube guard/cable-guide.

    I'm pretty stoked.

  2. #2
    aka dan51
    Reputation: d-bug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    5,692
    That silver is the best SL-R color IMO. If I ever get one, that will be it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    ...People thought they were getting a good fork because it was a "fox".

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    99
    If Medium is your size, that sounds like a deal to jump on.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    679
    I'm pretty sure medium is my best fit. I rode both the medium and the large SL-R at Duthie. Just in case though, the shop also has a large silver frame waiting to be built, so if it doesn't work for me, hopefully, we can switch frames.

    And seeing the silver in the flesh, it is even better than I expected. It is a great color.

  5. #5
    Dropshot Champ!
    Reputation: redmr2_man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    4,568
    awesome! post pics when you get it built up.

    As much as everyone is on an hd these days, it sure seems most of the owners around here are using them for fireroad duty. The slr is a killer bike, especially with angleset/downtube protection/shadow+ upgrades. Congrats!

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    679
    The SL-R is delivered. Build and fit will happen TODAY. I'm kind of giddy about it. The weather kind of sucks today, but tomorrow is supposed to be nice and sunny. I'll get some nice clean photos of it tonight/tomorrow plus some post ride mud and splatter pictures too.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: digitalhippie13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    326
    congrats!

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    740
    Congrats! I've had my Mojo SL for 1.5 years and I love it!

    Once you ride your Ibis, the thought of not being able to ride it will cause great emotional hardship (as I learned when I trashed my derailleur hanger a couple of weeks ago), so you might want to order a spare derailleur hanger to have on hand. While you're at it, order some pub glasses in order to best enjoy the post-Ibis ride experience (and spread the shipping cost over more items).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails About to become an Ibisian!-ibis-glasses.jpg  


  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    679
    Thanks for the reminder to pick up a spare derailleur hanger. I turfed one on my Rize a couple weeks ago and was saved by my buddy, also on a Cannondale, having a spare hanger in his pack. It didn't help the bent derailleur itself, but we got it working well enough to ride out the rest of the plan.

    Nice glasses! No place to pack 'em on the bike though!

    Getting ready to go pick up the bike and it is SUNNY here today in the PNW. Finally. A couple more days of summer.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: manchvegas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    991
    Quote Originally Posted by miatagal96 View Post
    Congrats! I've had my Mojo SL for 1.5 years and I love it!

    Once you ride your Ibis, the thought of not being able to ride it will cause great emotional hardship (as I learned when I trashed my derailleur hanger a couple of weeks ago), so you might want to order a spare derailleur hanger to have on hand. While you're at it, order some pub glasses in order to best enjoy the post-Ibis ride experience (and spread the shipping cost over more items).
    So true!! I am struggling through an injured ankle and moving.. killing me not to ride my HD!
    determined to put the "mountain" back in "MOUNTAIN BIKING!!!" "HIT IT!"
    2012 MOJO HDeeeeeeee!!!!
    2010 scott CR1 comp

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    679
    It is built and ready to go!

    It came with standard XT gear from Ibis, and we added in an AngleSet and XTR Shadow Plus rear derailleur and a rock guard/cable guide. The tires are tubeless on Stans Arch rims. Weight was 25.8 lbs.

    Here is some eye candy:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails About to become an Ibisian!-ibis-sl-r-001-1024x678-.jpg  

    About to become an Ibisian!-ibis-sl-r-002-1024x678-.jpg  

    About to become an Ibisian!-ibis-sl-r-003-1024x678-.jpg  

    About to become an Ibisian!-ibis-sl-r-005-1024x678-.jpg  

    About to become an Ibisian!-ibis-sl-r-006-1024x678-.jpg  

    About to become an Ibisian!-ibis-sl-r-008-1024x678-.jpg  

    About to become an Ibisian!-ibis-sl-r-010-1024x678-.jpg  

    About to become an Ibisian!-ibis-sl-r-012-678x1024-.jpg  


  12. #12
    Dropshot Champ!
    Reputation: redmr2_man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    4,568
    wow, that weight is damn impressive man! nice job!

    Is that with pedals?

    Fast track up front and an sworks rear? That is an interesting tire setup. Any rocks where you live?

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    679
    Weight is as ridden.

    Yes, including pedals.

    Tires, yeah, Fast Track Control 2.2 up front, S-Works Ground Control 2.3 on the rear.

    Rocks are not much of an issue here on the wet side unless you seek them out. East side of the state is a different story though. I have a similar setup on my Rize 3, except slightly smaller sized (2.1 Ground Control in rear) and have been pretty pleased with it. Is either of the tires dodgy with respect to sharp rocks and such on the sidewalls and/or tread?

  14. #14
    meh
    Reputation: clewttu's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,068
    think he was asking cuz usually the larger/grippier tire is run in the front and smaller/faster tire in in the rear

  15. #15
    Dropshot Champ!
    Reputation: redmr2_man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    4,568
    well that and an sworks as a rear is something I've rarely seen around these parts. The sidewalls are paper thin. But it sounds like we ride in two different places, so more power to ya!

    Bike looks absolutely awesome man. That color is great!
    Last edited by redmr2_man; 06-27-2012 at 07:56 PM.

  16. #16
    meh
    Reputation: clewttu's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,068
    lol, nm then

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    679
    Ahh. I get it. Perhaps I should swap the tires?

    Heh. I just looked closely at the SL-R on ibiscycles.com on their build page and sure enough, the Fast Track is on the rear and the S-Works Ground Control is on the front.

    I went and looked at my Rize with Spec tires on it. I have Purgatory Control on the front and Ground Control (not the S-Works variant) on the rear.

    I have now switched the brakes and shifter mountings--the way it was just didn't work for me. I'll give the shop a call tomorrow and ask them to swap the tires after I ride.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    740
    Gorgeous bike. Congratulations! I like the stealthiness and simplicity of the bike. It makes it look like a prototype. This is just my preference, but I'd remove the stickers from the rims to increase the stealthiness.


    I just bought a Fast Track to try on the rear of my Ibis. I'm used to slower Nevegals or El Moco's so I may decide I don't like the Fast Track and move it to my hard-tail. The plan is to run the Fast Track tubeless at lower pressure (compared to tubes) to increase grippiness. We'll see. Anyone know if you can mount a Fast Track on Stans Crests without an air compressor (I have a large volume pump and I have CO2).

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    355
    nice bike!
    -----
    some drink from the fountain of knowledge...
    others just piss on it..

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    679
    Quote Originally Posted by miatagal96 View Post
    Gorgeous bike. Congratulations! I like the stealthiness and simplicity of the bike. It makes it look like a prototype. This is just my preference, but I'd remove the stickers from the rims to increase the stealthiness.
    That's my general MO as well. I am out there for me and I don't need a flaming flash of Vitamin P or Lamborine Orange to announce myself. Mostly, I don't need someone remembering how lame a rider I am!

    Quote Originally Posted by miatagal96 View Post
    I just bought a Fast Track to try on the rear of my Ibis. I'm used to slower Nevegals or El Moco's so I may decide I don't like the Fast Track and move it to my hard-tail. The plan is to run the Fast Track tubeless at lower pressure (compared to tubes) to increase grippiness. We'll see. Anyone know if you can mount a Fast Track on Stans Crests without an air compressor (I have a large volume pump and I have CO2).
    I have seen large volume floor pump seat brand new tubeless before, and have reseated one with a hand pump on the trail, but it sure is easier to do with a compressor.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    679
    Update: Both my ride experience today and the advice of one of the techs at my LBS (the one that carries Specialized, unlike the Ibis dealer that eschews the Specialized brand) have convinced me that the tires needed to be swapped. So, I did that. Furthermore, I used a floor pump to refill and reseat the tire beads of both tires, Fast Track and Ground Control, onto the Stan's Arch rims.

    The Specialized Fast Track Control tire that I now have on the rear is probably a good tire for the Santa Cruz area and other dry, hard-pack trails, but my guess is that it will not perform so well on our wet trail systems here in the wet side of the Cascades. Good thing I plan on riding in eastern WA as wel!

  22. #22
    Slothful dirt hippie
    Reputation: verslowrdr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    2,580
    Quote Originally Posted by DRSpalding View Post
    Update: Both my ride experience today and the advice of one of the techs at my LBS (the one that carries Specialized, unlike the Ibis dealer that eschews the Specialized brand) have convinced me that the tires needed to be swapped. So, I did that. Furthermore, I used a floor pump to refill and reseat the tire beads of both tires, Fast Track and Ground Control, onto the Stan's Arch rims.

    The Specialized Fast Track Control tire that I now have on the rear is probably a good tire for the Santa Cruz area and other dry, hard-pack trails, but my guess is that it will not perform so well on our wet trail systems here in the wet side of the Cascades. Good thing I plan on riding in eastern WA as wel!
    Git chosef on over the hill and get some powder on that thang. Actually less dust and more hero dirt with the rains lately.
    "...Some local fiend had built it with his own three hands..."

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    679
    Quote Originally Posted by verslowrdr View Post
    Git chosef on over the hill and get some powder on that thang. Actually less dust and more hero dirt with the rains lately.
    Prolly going to Leavenworth for a couple of days next week. Got some maintenance to do on the house and yard my mother in-law lives in. I'll probably get some riding in while there.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •