Team Sanchez

650B HD 140 vs. HD 160-Pics included

Sweaty Biscuit put the final touches on his 650B Stans Flow/CK wheelset last night. We took our HD's out this morning for a 16 mile, 2500 ft of climbing ride. I won't comment on the performance aspects of his ride, I'll leave that to Sweaty, but here are some pics that show clearance, etc. He is running the Pancetti tires set up tubeless.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 650B HD 140 vs. HD 160-Pics included-p1.jpg  

650B HD 140 vs. HD 160-Pics included-p2.jpg  

650B HD 140 vs. HD 160-Pics included-p3.jpg  

650B HD 140 vs. HD 160-Pics included-p4.jpg.jpg  

Team Sanchez; "Always hittin the upper lip"

mtbr member
    Are those the 2.3 Neo-moto's? How's the volume compare to other brands?

Sweaty if you've got a moment, I'd like to hear your experience of 26" vs 650B on the HD. Climbing, descending, technical terrain, jumping, etc.

One of the problems with 650B for me, is the lack of selection of 650B tires on the market. Hopefully that will change, especially with rumors of 650B forks and bikes on the horizon.

Thanks for the pics El C.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    What is the static (unsagged) BB height of the 650b 140, vs. the 26er 160?

Thanks, kenandwoo@hotmail.com

www.derbyrims.com

BB height of the 650b 140, vs. the 26er 160?

Quote Originally Posted by buggymancan View Post
    What is the static (unsagged) BB height of the 650b 140, vs. the 26er 160?

Thanks, kenandwoo@hotmail.com
    I've measured that on my HD.

Using the same u-turn Lyrik coil fork ...

650b x 2.3 Neo-moto wheeled HD140 with Lyrik fork at 140mm travel, unweighted BB center height = 13.75" measured.

26 x 2.3 Panaracer Rampage wheeled HD160 with Lyrik fork at 160mm travel, unweighted BB center height = 13.75" calculated (HD160 with the same 650b wheels, BB = 14.25").

650b rims add 1/2 inch more wheel radius over 26" rims, tire heights may vary.

Last edited by derby; 04-12-2012 at 08:21 AM. Reason: Lyrik fork, not shock!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by disjointed View Post
    Are those the 2.3 Neo-moto's? How's the volume compare to other brands?

Sweaty if you've got a moment, I'd like to hear your experience of 26" vs 650B on the HD. Climbing, descending, technical terrain, jumping, etc.

One of the problems with 650B for me, is the lack of selection of 650B tires on the market. Hopefully that will change, especially with rumors of 650B forks and bikes on the horizon.

Thanks for the pics El C.
    This was my first ride on the larger wheels. I've only ridden the HD a handful of times so far this spring (northern Utah). I need to get in more mileage to feel comfortable giving a good review. El C and I did about 16 miles on single/double track with about 2500 ft elevation gain. Trails were hard pack/rocky in very good condition. Ride only had a couple of slightly techy sections and was mostly XC. That said I think I'm really going to like this setup. I wish I had a pair of similar 26er wheels to compare against. My 26er setup consists of EDGE hoops laced to DT240 with specialized Eskar 2.3 front and Captain 2.2 back.

My initial feeling is that the larger wheel is barely discernible in terms of steering and handling. I didn't get much air but what little I did get I was able to move the bike around in the air like a 26er. I also felt like the bike rolled over everything VERY smoothly. It was easy to maintain momentum. It felt like I was ridding a Cadillac. Derby and others have covered this well, my feelings so far echo what others have said. Clearance is very tight. I don't think it will be a problem, but I felt rocks get sucked through the chain stay yoke occasionally. I've placed material around the yoke to prevent damage to finish (although I'm sure this is unnecessary, purely for cosmetic reasons). If I air down the fork (removed valve core) the tire will barely rub on the crown of the fork. I don't see this being a problem though. In the back although clearance is a bit tight, airing down the shock will not result in any kind of interference or contact with the frame.

If my initial feeling is confirmed after more mileage I may end up getting rid of my edge wheels. I'll need more time to decide.

Too Much Fun

New question here. What's the tape you used?

Quote Originally Posted by SweatyBiscuit View Post
    I've placed material around the yoke to prevent damage to finish (although I'm sure this is unnecessary, purely for cosmetic reasons).
    What's that material you used on the stays? Looks like good stuff.
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I've used a few different products in different places. The carbon look stuff is from Lizard Skins. Its basically leather.

The Crow
    Quote Originally Posted by Diliplifttruck View Post
    DILIP MATERIAL HANDLING EQUIPMENT manufactures and suppliers of huge range of Material Handling Equipments suitable for a wide variety of users.

MATERIAL HANDLING EQUIPMENTS
    ELECTRIC BATTERY POWERED STACKER
    LIFT TABLE PALLET TRUCKS

For more details visit :-diliplifttruck.com/
    Well said.
    There's a feeling I get
    When I look to the West
    And my spirit is crying for leaving

mtbr member
    One of my riding buddies rode both 650B and 26 wheels on his HD 160. Nearly identical wheel sets. After about 2 months on the 650's he went back to the 26's and put the 650's on his wife's bike. The decision process was the limited tire selection, rear tire hitting the back of the seat tube, and the fact that I was still faster downhill. He has also tried to go 29 twice and ended up back on 26 wheels. YMMV