mtbr member

6'1" on Large Ripley?

I know it's been covered a fair bit but looking for some current input.

I'm coming from 26" wheels, would run an 80 or 90 mm stem and 750 bars. The Ripley would be used for trail riding, no racing. I prefer the shorter WB of the large but don't want to be too cramped. I like to be able to move around on a bike. I don't want to just hold on and let the wheels take control.

So, any of you guys in the 6'1" range choose the Large over the XL? Happy?

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I sold my Large as it is really a medium if you look at the reach with a 140, it had a 70 stem with 780 bars and it was cramped. Also 6 1. I would grab an xl try 60-70 stem.

aka dan51
    I'm 6'1" and ride a large Ripley with 70mm stem and 740 bars. I would not change a thing.

mtbr member

6'1" on Large Ripley?

I'm 6'2" on an XL with 740 bars and an 80mm stem. The bike has a short reach, so it's hard for me to imagine riding a L.

mtbr member
    With the 80-90 stem you should be just fine on a large.
    I'm 6' on a large with a 60mm stem and its perfect.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the feedback, guys. Kind of what I expected, right down the middle.

I would be interested to know what type of rider you are or what other bike(s) you have ridden. It seems like the riders coming from the XC side of things go for the XL, while the riders on the AM side go for the Large.

Thanks Again.

mtbr member
    The Ripley runs a size small in the reach dimension. The large Ripley has almost the exact same reach as a specialized FSR in a medium. it's actually 1/4" shorter than a trek fuel EX 29 on a 17.5" frame. I'd go with an XL for sure.

Rumor has it that Ibis is going to remedy this issue with their new 650b trail bike the Anne-Caroline is riding.

aka dan51
    I'm on the AM side of things.
    I've also ridden mojo and mojo hd, both in L and XL. I went XL initially due to everyone saying "their bikes run a size small". I later changed both to L and much prefer the handling of the shorter bikes, which for me are the right size bikes. The XL on both felt like the front wheel was always out too far which made cornering shitty for me.
    If Ibis is "fixing" their size issue, I will likely start riding a M.

Demo both sizes, and make sure they get set up how you would want it built.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I'm 6'0 and eventually settled on a Large with a 90mm stem and 740 bars. I waffled back and forth between the L and an XL (same bars but 80mm stem) - both of them "fit" me but they felt very different; the L was quick and playful, the XL was big and stable. I went with the L because one of the Ripley's great strengths is its short wheelbase and 26er-like feel on downhills and switchbacks, and I didn't want to lose that or its playful nature with the bigger frame. But it took me an hour or so of going back and forth between L and XL before I felt confident in my decision - it was a close call, both had their benefits and downsides. You really should ride them back to back to see which speaks to you best.

mtbr member
    I'm 6' 1 1/2" (187cm) and feel the cockpit of the XL with a 100mm stem is right on the limit of fit for me. I like a sporty riding position, but nothing radical (even though my seat is pretty high compared to the saddle; more on that in a sec). I have long legs for my size, so I guess that leaves a shorter upper body than average. 90mm stem was too short and made the bike feel unbalanced fore-aft.

For me, a L would just not fit. I would choose and XL even if I was 1/2" shorter and adjust with a shorter stem, especially for pure AM.