• 02-02-2013
    Trackho
    6' and Long Arms Large or XL HD
    I know this has been asked to death. But I'm perplexed. I spent about 3 hours on a demo HD 160, with a 65mm stem, 750mm bar and an xfusion dropper which has an offset of about 20mm then the seat is set back 90% max to make the cockpit feel pretty good. BUT, I am totally dependent on an offset seat post and saddle. Unfortunately, it's hard to find an XL demo to compare. Interestingly enough, with this set up, a 800mm bar is a must as my hands are 1" off the ends of the bars. Most say go large, but the guys at the LBS also said it looks a tad short.i have a 34" inseam, 36" arms. the height of an Large is perfect, just a tad short in the top tube.
    Just seams weird to be dependent on a seat offset,also limits choices in droppers.
    I'd love to hear from the 6' to 6'2" crowd.
    Thanks,
    Later
    PS-I was impressed with the XFusion dropper
  • 02-02-2013
    budgie
    I'm 6'1" with a long torso, and XL is definitely the one for me. I run 55mm stem, 740mm bars, no offset seatpost (reverb), and saddle slid about 2/3 of the way forward on the rails. The cockpit fits like a glove, and doesn't feel too stretched out at all. In fact, I can't imagine going with a large at my height: that would mean running a much longer stem, which I'll never go back to again having tasted the wonders of the shorty-long bar combo. Also, I feel as if the saddle forward position A) helps a lot w/technical climbing, and B) just gets me in a better position, body/bike center of mass, rather than hanging out over the back wheel somewhere. The bike just tracks better this way.

A couple of other things to consider are the head tube length and wheelbase. While a large might give you more flickability, that comes at the cost of some DH stability with the shorter wheelbase. Plus I just have an aversion to a lot of spacers under the stem, which I think I'd have to have if I were on a large. Right now I'm running about 15mm spacers on a zero stack headset for brake lever-TT clearance, and it's the perfect saddle-bar relationship.

My $.02: go XL!
  • 02-02-2013
    d-bug
    I'm about the same size as budgie, but I prefer the large. I run a 70mm stem with about 30mm of spacers under it, though I prefer my stes inverted. If I ran them "noral", I would remove 20mm of spacers. I had an XL for 1.5 years, then got a large and have never been happier. The difference in DH stability was noticeable for a few rides, but now I never notice it. What I do notice is how much more nimble and in control of the large I am, even after riding it for 9 months. I also like my seat slid forward to improve climbing.
    If the TT is a tad short try a longer stem, 70mm. if that's not long enough go XL.
  • 02-03-2013
    hball
    i am 6.1 with 35" inseam and on XL too.
    the HD is very compact. no way i could imagine to ride a size L (what i tried).
  • 02-03-2013
    budgie
    One suggestion would be to see if you can find an XL demo SL or SL-R. I have an XL classic as well (same geo as the SL & SL-R) and I find the cockpit fit/feel almost identical to the XL HD.
  • 02-03-2013
    Trackho
    Good idea, my LBS does have an XL SL which will give me an idea. I'm just leaving to take it on round 2 today with a 70mm stem and the cockpit controls better adjusted. I'll report back later.
    Thanks all, I'm going to pull the trigger on the HD as soon as I sort this. Seems odd as I've been wearing XL t-shirts, shorts, jackets forever, not sure why I have such angst about an XL bike
  • 02-03-2013
    das recht
    Just borrow mine for a little bit.
  • 02-04-2013
    Kerberos
    Yes, please report back! I quote myself from a similar thread, that's all still true:

Quote:

Originally Posted by myself
    I ride an 160 HD in L with setback dropper post, 60 stem, 780 bar (rem: originally 720)- and am precisely your size: 6'0 with 35.4 inseam (1.84m / 90cm in my numbers). I love my bike for sure.

That said, I demoed an XL some months earlier and was quite happy with it, too. There were some issues with wrong tires and too firm shock setup, which added to the overall feel, but it still felt great.

I finally chose the Large, because I wanted to have that extra agility - although that's more I read about than I feel about. My skills are ok, but I am not that super technical rider reaching the limits of the HD.

I still think of the XL from time to time. The longer wheel base gives you even more confidence on descents. And on the XL you will want to use a short stem as 40 or 50, especially with a wider bar like that 750. And that shorter stem again helps you in cornering a lot. Put your saddle as far to the front as you can, use a straight post without setback and you're fine. I'm sure you will love your XL!

I will change to a Kind Shock Lev 150 soon, so I'll loose the setback. But since I have the saddle nearly very much at the front (due to my bad posture with a round back), I think I'll be able to balance that with moving the saddle in a middle or back position.
  • 02-04-2013
    Trackho
    I'm going to demo an XL SL just cuz it's easy, then DRs XL HD.
    My gut is telling me I need an XL-anyway I look at it, I need 20mm more in the top tube.
    I rode this am and with a taller bike(longer travel) using the dropper is even more critical, I really like the adjustability of the hydraulic ones like the reverb, ks-and they're all zero setback
  • 02-05-2013
    Trackho
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Trackho View Post
    I'm going to demo an XL SL just cuz it's easy, then DRs XL HD.
    My gut is telling me I need an XL-anyway I look at it, I need 20mm more in the top tube.
    I rode this am and with a taller bike(longer travel) using the dropper is even more critical, I really like the adjustability of the hydraulic ones like the reverb, ks-and they're all zero setback

XL is definitely the answer for me, rode the XL SL this am with a 70mm stem and about 10mm of set back (fusion Hilo post) and it is perfect. First time in 1.5 years I haven't gotten back pain climbing. Descending, it's a tad less flickable, but I'll sort that. I'm STOKED
  • 02-05-2013
    das recht
    Quote:

XL is definitely the answer for me, rode the XL SL this am with a 70mm stem and about 10mm of set back (fusion Hilo post) and it is perfect. First time in 1.5 years I haven't gotten back pain climbing. Descending, it's a tad less flickable, but I'll sort that. I'm STOKED

Awesome. Glad you got it figured out.
  • 02-05-2013
    02GF74
    I'm 6ft1, long arms, not measured them and Large frame SL feels right for me, got 110 mm stem though. The top tube is 600 mm horizontally.
  • 02-07-2013
    groundskeeperwilly
    6ft 1 tall, short legs, long torso/arms. On a large with 60mm stem, 750mm bars.
  • 02-07-2013
    02GF74
    .... hmmmm., interesting that I seem to have a stem hat is 40 mm longer than a lot of others ...... it would push me ot an XL from if I had 70 mm stem fitted.... and my seatpost has 25 to 30 mm offset.
  • 02-07-2013
    das recht
    Chances are that you would like an XL better given the offsets and stem length. I would try it. A lot of people forget that the Mojo is pretty short for the size.
  • 02-08-2013
    Pesto
    I'm 6ft1 with long arms and ride Large HD with 50mm stem and 780mm bars, reverb seatpost so no offset. XL would be way too big. Don't forget that HD is an enduro bike, not a XC bike, so it has to be shorter and also the riding posture is different. Generally you want the frame to be as small as possible to increase its "fun" factor (agility, playfulness).
  • 02-08-2013
    das recht
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Pesto View Post
    I'm 6ft1 with long arms and ride Large HD with 50mm stem and 780mm bars, reverb seatpost so no offset. XL would be way too big. Don't forget that HD is an enduro bike, not a XC bike, so it has to be shorter and also the riding posture is different. Generally you want the frame to be as small as possible to increase its "fun" factor (agility, playfulness).

Just because it may not work for you does not mean XL is not the right size for others at 6'1". The Ibis has a smaller feel than other bikes. And, if you need a 100mm stem to fit on the bike with a big set back seatpost, then chances are it isn't the right size.

While smaller bikes are generally more agile, they are also more nervous. I know I can get around a corner faster on my XL on which I can shift my weight than I could on a large because the large is too nervous for me.

In my opinion, the advice of always getting the smallest bike possible is antiquated. Get the size that fits best. And to do that, ride a few different sizes.
  • 04-26-2013
    Trackho
    Quote:

Been riding the HD in XL for about a week, sizing is perfect for my 6', 33" inseam, and 36" arms--using a 65mm stem and 750mm bars. makes sense that Lopes is 5'9" and rides a large.

Like many here I debated between an L and XL, demoed the L and it just didn't feel right as it was too short-so don't be shy about trying an upsize
  • 04-26-2013
    Moto'n'PushBiker
    I learned the other day that it's called ape index ( Ape index - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ) :-)
  • 04-27-2013
    Lobanovskyy
    Hi everybody,

I have the same problem and I'm very worried about it. I want to buy a Mojo HD and the only issue that stops the purchase is the sizing.

I'm 6' with 34" inseam and 29.9" arm's lenght and I don't know which size is the best option for me, L or XL. I tested a L size and I felt it a bit short, but the shop assistant said to me that these kinds of bikes have to be shorter and also he said that XL option will be less flickable and too big for me. The main problem is that there is not XL demo bikes where I live.

All shop assistants of different shops where I have been say that when you are between two sizes, the best option is always the shorter one. According to this, I should choose L size. What do you think about it?

I don't know if choose a L size with 70-80-90 mm stem or a XL with a short stem... :confused:
  • 04-27-2013
    SB Trails
    The ibis XL is very close to others L's... Im 6'2" but with 34 inseam and long ass monkey arms-- and the xl is bairly big enough for me... Dont get caught up in the label of l or xl.. Get what fits.. The tt is pretty short on the ibis-- so getting something a bit bigger for your long legs to stretch out, without have 3 feet of seat post sticking out-- is something to keep in mind... Here is what your not going to do-- get the xl and think OMG this thing is HUGE!!!!!.. Youll get the xl and think-- right on this thing fits better then i thought it would.. Like was said above-- lopes @ 5'9" is on a large.. If your near santa barbara-- your more then welcome to come sit on my xl and see how it feels..
  • 04-28-2013
    Lobanovskyy
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SB Trails View Post
    The ibis XL is very close to others L's... Im 6'2" but with 34 inseam and long ass monkey arms-- and the xl is bairly big enough for me... Dont get caught up in the label of l or xl.. Get what fits.. The tt is pretty short on the ibis-- so getting something a bit bigger for your long legs to stretch out, without have 3 feet of seat post sticking out-- is something to keep in mind... Here is what your not going to do-- get the xl and think OMG this thing is HUGE!!!!!.. Youll get the xl and think-- right on this thing fits better then i thought it would.. Like was said above-- lopes @ 5'9" is on a large.. If your near santa barbara-- your more then welcome to come sit on my xl and see how it feels..

I'm really grateful for your invitation but I live in Spain... And the distributor in my country have not got any XL demo Mojo HD nor the LBS.

I have tested two L Mojo HD. With the first (of my LBS) I felt it too short for me. Later, I tested a second L Mojo HD (but only a short ride) of a guy I met (his height was exactly the same that mine) and I don't know why, I felt it more comfortable. There were only three differences between the two L bikes:

1) The second Mojo HD had a Cane Creek Angleset (1) so I suppose that the wheelbase was longer.

2) Also, the second bike had some spacers so the stem was higher.

3) Finally, the second bike had a KS LEV seatpost, that is a few longer that the standar seatpost that the Mojo HD provides.

I don't know if these differences were the reason to feel more comfortable but it is the reality.

I would like to test a XL Mojo HD but here in Spain is too difficult. The only way to do it is meeting a guy with this kind of bike but Ibis aren't common bikes...
  • 04-28-2013
    the last biker
    Hi Lobanovskyy,

PM sent.
  • 04-28-2013
    Lobanovskyy
    Quote:

Originally Posted by the last biker View Post
    Hi Lobanovskyy,

PM sent.

Hi! I have answered you by e-mail (not PM).