Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007

5'8" on a Large HD??

Sorry for another sizing question.

I am getting ready to pull the trigger on a new Ibis ( Been admiring them for so long, its finally time) and the very knowledgable salesman said they have been sizing them up a bit to get length in the cockpit but keep the stem on the short side. The standover is apparently so similar between the Med and Large that it is a non-issue.

I guess I am right on the fence between a Med being a little tight, and a Large being spacious.

I am 5'8", 30inch inseam, riding moderately aggressive So Cal terrain.

Curious your recommendations or experience. Obviously it comes down to how it feels to me, but I have never bought a large frame before. I did test ride in the parking lot the regular Mojo in large and Med and I think the Large actually felt a little better.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    JC

mtbr member
    I'm almost the same size as you 5'9" with 30" inseam and have a large with a shortish stem. Have always ridden medium frames otherwise and the mojo SL feels great in large. medium was just too cramped.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Thanks

Thanks for the reply.

My main ride right now is a SC super light (23 ETT) with a 100mm stem. Love the bike but want something with a little more suspension and plushness as I am getting more into technical descents.

I guess a 23.7 ETT with a shorter stem makes sense if all things are fairly equal with a Med and Large.

My LBS seems to think the shorter stem brings out the best in the bike.

I love climbing and do pretty long rides with 25 ish miles and 3000K of climbing on the weekends so I am trying to hit that sweet spot between reasonably light nimble and efficient climber and a confident technical descender.

I am thinking the HD 140 might be the right bike and flexible for the future.

Looking forward to a sweet new ride.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I'm 175cm a tiny fraction under 5'9" and I ride a medium HD with a 45cm stem and a setback dropper post. I have never tried a large but I think I would find the standover a
    little bit close and because I come from a BMX background I usually select the smaller
    size when a land in the middle of a sizing split. If you can have a test ride that is always the best option. I bought my first Mojo C in 2007 without a test ride and it has been a great
    bike. I find the medium HD feels a little larger than the medium C. I have been riding the C
    a bit more often latley with my more XC friends and even with light weight wheels it can still handle plenty of drops and jumps.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I am 5'10/11 and I float between a med and Large. I have longish legs. Wouldn't have thought you'd be on a large HD, maybe if it was an XC bike but I would have thought you'd be over biked on that size given what the hd is capable of

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I'm 6'0" with a 33.5" inseam and ride a large with a 70mm stem, I'd imagine at 5'8" you could easily fit a medium with enough comfort/stretch for XC and it will certainly be more nimble for you than a large...
    ride, eat, sleep, repeat

mtbr member
    Where is Socal are you? I am in North County SD and you are welcome to throw a leg over mine. Have a few friends with HD's in OC/IE as well that I could probably set you up with.

My recommendation would be a medium and not a large.

BTW I would also not waste the money on a 140. There is no difference in climbing efficiency by going with the shorter travel bike so why limit it? If you lean more towards XC build it with a Fox 34/160 which will give you the weight advantage and a slightly steeper HA.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Thanks.

It really seems like the medium should fit right on. I guess I am used to a roomier cockpit coming from my older school of thought bike utilizing longer stems. It could simply be something that I need to get used to as well.

My other concern with the large is having enough room for a dropper post.

I am waiting for it to stop raining here so I can go demo both sizes and get the final verdict. I am also going to demo the SC TRc VPP bike just to make sure that I am getting on the right bike. According to the shop, the DW favors a little more of a leaned back type of decender and the VPP prefers a little more forward, moto style, decent. With my single pivot I tend to lean back with a lighter front end for really technical stuff, but I am not sure which I will prefer on the new rig.

Thanks again for the help and experience. At bikes in this price point you need to nail it and have no regrets.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Thanks for your kind offer

Salespunk,

I am in south county OC. I really appreciate the offer of trying your bike. I think I am going to just pay to demo them so that I don't put anyone out of their ride and I can really take a long ride to get the feel.

Super generous of you though and I thank you.

I ride the SJT fairly often, and want a bike that is all about that climb, the loop up top, and then going to Aliso to rip up Lynx, 5 Oaks, etc. I would call a bike like that a true "all arounder". It may be that the SL-R is really the bike I should get on. I am hoping a few demos will shake all this out.

Again thank you.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I'm 5'9" with a 31" inseam. I've demoed both the L and M hd. I had the chance to demo a M for two full days in Moab and absolutely loved it. The medium HD is my next bike. By the way the large just felt well too large):
    Ease & Flow Where Ever I Go

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Nice

From the replies, seems pretty obvious that I should be steering toward the medium.

To be totally fair to the LBS, they did not size me at a Large, but said that it was a reasonable to upsize these bikes if they feel too cramped with a short stem (which it kind of did to me). Other than a lot spin we did not get too far into dialing components in for a fit. I definitely trust their judgement, but appreciate the feedback from you riders.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Your LBS is right to steer you towrds the Large if you want a stem shorter than 70mm and want to XC it.

I'm 5'9" and ride a Medium HD. 80/90mm stem with 710mm bars feels good when doing a lot of XC riding. I have the seatpost almost max. It's by no means too stretched out.

I do prefer the feel of a 70mm stem with my 710mm bar for down hill, but it's a little short when doing long distances. I get too much weight on my seat and doesn't feel centered when pedaling...if you ride long distances then you will know what that feels like.

Next demo day I will be trying a Large HD with a 60mm stem. I'm curious if I will still weight the front end enough when climbing and if it feels too large overall. I've always wondered if I should have gotten the Large.

For now I will try the 70mm stem with a 750mm bar and see if that works well on the medium.

www.derbyrims.com
    First impression I had jumping from my trusty 5-year old large Mojo C to a large HD with the same stem length, the HD felt about 1/2 to a full size larger in handling feel.

I had even posted a question to this forum to see if I should go to a smaller size, since I like a very nimble quick handling bike for my main interests in very twisty trail and very rocky slower conditions, and my first impression testing a large HD in a parking lot was that it turned more like a bus compared to my familiar Mojo C. But the recommendations from HD riders was to stay with the large size. And I quickly got used to the new bigger bike feel and the HD handled better in every condition, slow and technical and at faster speeds.

I think the combination of the more stable lower seated position from the slacker seat tube angle and the more stable slacker slower steering response gave the larger bike feeling.

I'm 6'0, 32" inseam, 34" arms, using a 70mm stem, 750mm bars, WTB seat centered to the post. For my interests the Large size HD is both stable and very nimble.

aka dan51
    You should be on a medium.
    I have both a L MojoC and L HD. Both with the same stem (Ibis 70mm), straight seat posts, wide bars (HD is a little wider 750 vs 725). Without a doubt, the MojoC feels larger than the HD. I ride the HD 90% of the time, when I hop on the MojoC I have to get use to a larger feeling cockpit. Don't be fooled by the longer TT measurement of the HD. There are different angles involved in SA and HT that changes things.

When I measure from the tip of my seat to the center of the handlebar I get 21" on MojoC and 20.5" on the HD. The effective TT on the HD is shorter in my case.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    ...People thought they were getting a good fork because it was a "fox".

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Thanks

Just got back from an epic ride with 3K of climbing and 25 ish miles. Always makes me want to go spend a bunch more money on bike stuff for some reason. must be the endorphin high.

If all the 6 foot guys are loving the larges then it has got to be a medium for me.

My big dilemma now is the HD or the SL-R. I am just not a guy who will ever put on a full face helmet and bomb big stuff or take a lift to go down. Keeps making me think that the HD is overkill for me. Being a very light rider (150) I do like light bikes and want this build to come in 27ish or less without getting into crazy, crazy money.

I appreciate the advice about skipping the HD 140 and getting a 160 if I go that route, but maybe a SL-R with 150 on front will kind of hit the sweet spot with weight, travel, geometry, climb, and decend.

Well, time for a post ride curry feast. Thanks again Ibisians for all your killer info and support. Great community of spoiled bikers. (Which I plan on joining)

Grams Light Bikes
    Medium - I ride med and am 5'9" with 31" inseam and use a 70-80mm stem (like longish stems)

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Pick either bike . They are both great trail bikes. I think the medium would do you right.

aka dan51
    27lbs? Slr is the way to go. You can do it on an HD, but will probably have to suffer when it comes to tires and run a light small knobbed tire.
    HD isn't designed for full face lift access. It's just such a versatile bike that it CAN handle those days.

You can't go wrong either way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    ...People thought they were getting a good fork because it was a "fox".

mtbr member
    I would say HD unless you are racing. The difference in weight is minimal for trail riding. If you like SJT the HD is the perfect bike. I do SJT and similar rides with 3K+ vert all the time as do my riding buddies. 9 HD's in that group and I have never heard a complaint about climbing ability.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    i'm 5'9" and have a 30" inseam, i've ordered a medium mojo hd frame due to the large frame having too long a seat tube for me to run my 125 ks lev seatpost, on the medium i have the option to drop the whole post roughly 1 inch if for example i get a saddle with taller rails or run really low profile flat pedals instead of spd's, the large was a bit too much of a stretch for my stumpy legs

mtbr member
    Im 5'10 and 32 and ride a med. I have ridden both med and large and the med was just more ridable for me. I would think the med would fit you so much better. Again try them again and get some good rides in and then choose. Coming down a technical hill will be the tell all.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Thanks again.

Thanks again for all the feedback. Medium is seeming pretty obvious at this point.

I think the statement that Salespunk stated pretty much sums up where I am at in terms of bike choice. Is this my fun weekend trail bike? Then HD. If this is the do all bike that may finally motivate me to do some endurance events (like I have been threatening to do for years now) then its the SLR. I agree that 1 - 1.5 lbs on the middle of the bike is really not a deal breaker and should not be too noticeable.

SJT is my favorite. It is my treat after a shitty week of work when I am able to get out of family duties and go ride it. I think it is the trail that I want this ride to fit the most. I thought with all the climbing that the SLR would be the better bike, but thanks for the direct experience on that trail with the HD.

I am going to digest all of this for a few days, but am thinking that the HD 160, medium with a 60 or 70 stem, 2 x10 with an upgraded wheel set, and a KS Lev might be that all around long day trail ride I am looking for.

Not to keep this thread going on and on, but when would you want a 34 fork? I am assuming that if my goal is to keep things light as possible then the 32 is the obvious choice. I have only had true cross country rigs up to now.

You guys have given me a lot to consider and have been a great help.

Rb
    wrenchscience.com
    You need to ride a medium.
    :: wrenchscience ::

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I'd say your on the borderline for large-if there is a chance to demo anywhere local that might give you a clear indicator.

mtbr member
    Only change I would make on the build is to go XX1 if you can. Gives you all the range of 2x with a simpler and lighter setup.

On the 32 vs. 34 you should go 34. The HD is so stiff it will be let down by the 32 as well as throwing off the geometry. Bike is an Enduro weapon with the 34.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast