Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Too Much Fun
    Do not put a 32 on the HD. Just don't. 34 or 36.

I'm 5'8" & ride a Med HD.

PURE PLEASURE.
    - -benja- -

[put something cool here]
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
    ... go XX1 if you can. Gives you all the range of 2x with a simpler and lighter setup.
    Well, I run a 2x setup 38/24 front and 11/36 rear. I definitely need this for longer uphills and XX1 just doesn't offer all the range. What I'm trying to say is, although I understand most of the advantages of XX1, its usefulness still depends on your riding style and landscape.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    You can't appreciate the simplicity of 1x9/10 setup until you try it. Doesn't sound like much, but the fact you don't have to think about gear combinations is really liberating and you will ride in the zone much more..

I currently run 1x9 (32t front + 11/34t rear) on my HD and there are very few hills I can't climb. You would be surprised what you can do, once you don't have a granny as an excuse It also looks really cool

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Yep XX1

I agree that XX1 is the ticket right now.

I have been riding my bikes 1x 9 for the last 5 years after I took a break from SS, and love it.

I have not looked into how the pricing on XX1 is vs say XT 2x10, but usually when new stuff comes out there is a heavy price tag to pay. I love Shimano drivetrains and am also super interested in the shadow derailers. Anything that reduces chain slap is a welcome upgrade.
    May just go 1 x 10 if XX1 is too pricey, but I am looking for a couple more "blow up" gears over my 1 x 9, for longer efforts in the saddle.

Still going to stew over the frame choice though...just can't get the SLR off the table until I ride them.

Again thanks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Clean setup

Nice 1 x setup. I use the MRP upper guide on my 1 x 9 setup, without the lower roller, and it works killer. Never drop a chain. I have also used a jump stop with a bash guard on my hardtail and it worked pretty well too.

I do love having less crap on the bars. That is the one thing I dread about getting a dropper post.

Thanks for the nice pic, and I do appreciate the simplicity and riding style of the 1x systems. Simplicity is what drew me so much to single speeding where you just get in the zone and make things happen through effort and form....but age is what drew me out of it and made me appreciate having some gears.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I broke off the lower guide in a crash recently and rode without it for a while, until the new came in. My chain was dropping all the time, sometimes it got back in place thanks to the upper guide, but often I had to stop and put the chain in place by hand. It was really annoying. Maybe it was because of the long derailleur cage and lower chain tension.. I want to switch to short cage 1x10 setup this spring.

mtbr member
    If you spend some time you can find XX1 for around $1K. It is by far the quietest system I have ever run and it replaced an XTR M980 1X system including a clutch RD. I am an XTR fanboy, but XX1 has converted me.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Update:...ordered!

Just and update as you were all nice enough to take time and help me out with my bike choice.

I rode a regular Mojo in medium and absolutely loved the bike. I personally like the fast handling of the steeper head angle and after feeling a fairly heavy demo under me realized that weight is important to me as well. SLR is the right frame. I found the mojo to be an outstanding climbing bike even out of the saddle mashing, and the DW is really a fantastic platform for eating up the small chatter and being smooth for the bigger hits. Totally sold on the ibis after the first hour in the saddle. I usually know right away if a bike is going to work for me or not, and I knew it very quickly with this one.

The medium was definitely on the small size for me. There was no room to spare in the cockpit with a 70mm on it and seat in neutral position on the rails. I also had a lot of seatpost showing to get the correct leg extension for climbing. I also felt a little to over the front and on top of the bike on the more technical downhill stuff. Fun, but not a perfect fit. I think I just fit bikes a little bigger in life than on paper. I am confident that the large is the right size now.

So I placed my order for a large SLR with a 150mm fork on it and full XX1 drivetrain. The more I looked into the XX1 and asked around, it seems like the perfect setup for my riding interests and the reviews have all been super positive from riders who have been using it first hand.

I am so stoked on ordering this dream bike. Thanks for all the input and suggestions and I will follow up with a ride report after I get some time on the bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MD Sleep View Post
    Just and update as you were all nice enough to take time and help me out with my bike choice.

I rode a regular Mojo in medium and absolutely loved the bike. I personally like the fast handling of the steeper head angle and after feeling a fairly heavy demo under me realized that weight is important to me as well. SLR is the right frame. I found the mojo to be an outstanding climbing bike even out of the saddle mashing, and the DW is really a fantastic platform for eating up the small chatter and being smooth for the bigger hits. Totally sold on the ibis after the first hour in the saddle. I usually know right away if a bike is going to work for me or not, and I knew it very quickly with this one.

The medium was definitely on the small size for me. There was no room to spare in the cockpit with a 70mm on it and seat in neutral position on the rails. I also had a lot of seatpost showing to get the correct leg extension for climbing. I also felt a little to over the front and on top of the bike on the more technical downhill stuff. Fun, but not a perfect fit. I think I just fit bikes a little bigger in life than on paper. I am confident that the large is the right size now.

So I placed my order for a large SLR with a 150mm fork on it and full XX1 drivetrain. The more I looked into the XX1 and asked around, it seems like the perfect setup for my riding interests and the reviews have all been super positive from riders who have been using it first hand.

I am so stoked on ordering this dream bike. Thanks for all the input and suggestions and I will follow up with a ride report after I get some time on the bike.

Same story as me, I'm 6" with long arms and the XL was the answer for an HD-started building it Today. Hopefully, I get my wheels next week

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Got it!

Just to follow up with this thread.

Finally got my LARGE, SLR. Absolutely perfect fit with a 70mm stem. Amazing bike. I always appreciated the beautiful lines of the Mojo, but am totally hooked on the way this bike feels. I don't see any way I would have comfortably fit on the medium with less than a 100mm stem or my seat really far back. Strange..but it is what it is.

So anyone out there on the fence on what size to get...don't be surprised if you end up "sizing up" to get the right fit.

Thanks for all the help.

Grams Light Bikes

Finally got my LARGE, SLR. Absolutely perfect fit with a 70mm stem. Amazing bike. I always appreciated the beautiful lines of the Mojo, but am totally hooked on the way this bike feels. I don't see any way I would have comfortably fit on the medium with less than a 100mm stem or my seat really far back. Strange..but it is what it is.

So anyone out there on the fence on what size to get...don't be surprised if you end up "sizing up" to get the right fit.

Thanks for all the help.
    Except this was in regards to a medium HD not a med SLR. The TT is longer on the HD. Just a bit confused? I find at 5'9" the SL-R/Carbon/SL are a bit short for me.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Thanks for all the help.
    I am 5'9" and ride a medium HD and a Large would be too big and I could not use a 125mm dropper.

I think what you have ended up with is basically a XC fit on a trailbike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Definitely more cross country oriented.

Definitely true that my initial question was about the HD. Not confused.

I did end up changing my mind during the process after posting my initial question. And yes, I was leaning more to the cross country side for my mojo so it may be that is the fit I ended up with (hence the SLR over the HD). I do run a 125 dropper post.

I am still surprised that I would be on a large in any bike frame (which was the reason for my initial question here). The LBS actually did the sizing watching me ride an HD, not an SLR. That is what they reccomended for the HD as well, even if the TT is a little longer.

Anyway, I am of course not trying to tell anyone what to do, just passing on my experience, and thanking you all for giving me yours prior to my purchase.

mtbr member
    Curious your recommendations or experience.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    JC
    I bought an XL in a SC Nomad and rode it for years. It fit fine, but was on the big size for my 5'11" and 33" inseam. Similarly to the HD the standover between L and XL doesn't change much - just the TT and wheelbase.

I recently swapped in a L front triangle and if I was buying again I would buy the L not the XL.

You can overcome 1" of TT difference by swapping in a new stem, but there is nothing you can do about the longer wheelbase. The XL was stable, but not as manoeuvrable or playful as the L.

Most of us can fit on two different sized bikes with some tweaking, but their will be handling compromises involved.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    You already made your decision, but as another data point, I am 5'8" and 30 inseam and I ride a large HD 170 with 1 degree angelset and a 50mm stem. Chews up the techy stuff. I still have room on my Reverb to go down into the seat tube more. I was surprised that the large fit, but it just feels right to me.
    nix that, livin la vida bandos is a good idea when you're on a Mojo HD

"babies don't drink coors" - del norte

mtbr member
    FWIW, Brian Lopes rides a large. He 5' 9".

mtbr member
    Ups, I'm confused... I'm Spanish and we use other measures for the height, so I don't know the translation of 5'8", 5'9",... I don't know what do mean ' and " symbols.

My height is 1,83 metres and I'm gonna place an order of a Large HD with a 90 mm stem. Do you think I'm doing the correct? And what about if I change the stem to a shorter one, will I ride comfortable in the L size?

Or is a XL HD with a shorter stem the best option for me?

In the bikeshop, the storekeeper suggests me L size and I sent and e-mail to Ibis and they suggest me L size too...

mtbr member
    5' 8"= 5 foot + 8 inches = 5 x 30cm + 8 x 2.54cm = 170.3cm or 1.703m

1.83m = ~6'

Just as a ballpark I'd say a Large is a reasonable choice. I'd roll with what you dealer suggests as he can see you to evaluate your body. If Ibis is backing that up it seems like a solid recommendation.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Lobanovskyy View Post
    Ups, I'm confused... I'm Spanish and we use other measures for the height, so I don't know the translation of 5'8", 5'9",... I don't know what do mean ' and " symbols.

My height is 1,83 metres and I'm gonna place an order of a Large HD with a 90 mm stem. Do you think I'm doing the correct? And what about if I change the stem to a shorter one, will I ride comfortable in the L size?

Or is a XL HD with a shorter stem the best option for me?

In the bikeshop, the storekeeper suggests me L size and I sent and e-mail to Ibis and they suggest me L size too...
    Hi Lobanovsky,

1.83 mts. ------------6' (plus one milimeter hahaha)
    5'8''------------------1.728 meters
    5'9''------------------1.752 meters

mtbr member
    Thank you very much, vikb and Pat-G!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2