mtbr member
    Dec 2006

32 or 34, please help, other build questions?

I had a Mojo for 5 years... I was going to sell it and get the Ripley. Of course the Ripley just came. In the meantime I got a good price and sold it 1.5 years ago. I have been riding a Superly 100 Pro since. I love the Superfly but the it's too steep and to "race" for me. I would like something with a little more active travel and a little longer travel.

The question is what fork. I am pretty happy with the 100m and am worried about the 140 being to slack for me. I loved the mojo with the 130 but wasn't in love when I switched it to a 140. Stiffness, cost and weight is also a factor. I am about 150 lbs and like to climb almost as much as descending. I haven't tried a 34. Any thoughts.

Also, I am trying to figure out wheels, I have had great luck with Stans wheels and not so great luck with the eastons that came on my original Mojo. Any thoughts? I want reasonably light wheels but am a little worried about to much flex as well. I think it probably makes the most sense to buy an xt Ripley and sell the wheels and get different ones? I have the Arches on my Superfly and had Crest/355 with 240's on my Mojo build by Dave Thomas Speed dream.

Thanks much. PS Any suggestions on where to by, I would like to go local if I can but I also like the order options with Competitive cyclist in the ability to swap out for some "real" tires, WTB seat, etc.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    The geometry of the Ripley was designed around a 120. It was designed as a CC bike with this fork. The 140 option makes it more trail if I understand the ride reports correctly. If you want more slack, then you have 2 options: 1) get the 140. 2) get the 120 and an angle set to allow you slack out the 120.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    If you didn't like the 140 on your mojo, then I don't think you will like it on the Ripley. I came from a SLR with a 140 and the Ripley with the 140 feels similar to that.

If you are running Crest on your mojo, I think you'll be good with Arch EX on your Ripley.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    So here is the question, it's going to sound stupid so I will ask it! It's my understanding the 140 can easily be made into a 130. The question is would that keep the same angle or would that make it LESS slack. My perfect folk would be the 34 130 with the angle around 69.5.

PS does anyone know much about the Specialized Bicycle Components wheels. I had the Crest/355 combo on the Mojo and am on the Archs now, they are good and solid but fairly flexy or that could be my fork!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Truckeemtb View Post
    I had a Mojo for 5 years... I was going to sell it and get the Ripley. Of course the Ripley just came. In the meantime I got a good price and sold it 1.5 years ago. I have been riding a Superly 100 Pro since. I love the Superfly but the it's too steep and to "race" for me. I would like something with a little more active travel and a little longer travel.

The question is what fork. I am pretty happy with the 100m and am worried about the 140 being to slack for me. I loved the mojo with the 130 but wasn't in love when I switched it to a 140. Stiffness, cost and weight is also a factor. I am about 150 lbs and like to climb almost as much as descending. I haven't tried a 34. Any thoughts.

Also, I am trying to figure out wheels, I have had great luck with Stans wheels and not so great luck with the eastons that came on my original Mojo. Any thoughts? I want reasonably light wheels but am a little worried about to much flex as well. I think it probably makes the most sense to buy an xt Ripley and sell the wheels and get different ones? I have the Arches on my Superfly and had Crest/355 with 240's on my Mojo build by Dave Thomas Speed dream.

Thanks much. PS Any suggestions on where to by, I would like to go local if I can but I also like the order options with Competitive cyclist in the ability to swap out for some "real" tires, WTB seat, etc.
    I too weigh 150 lbs and have been riding a 2012 Trek Superfly 100 Pro and loving it. The bike is fast and light at 22.7lbs with 15.5" frame and a few modifications from stock - Easton EC70 XC Wide handlebar (685mm), American Classic MTB Race 29 wheels, and Candy 11 pedals. The bike is almost perfectly dialed in for me except just two things I wished I had.

I too wanted to have a little more travel than its 110mm rear and 100mm front, and wished that it was a bit slacker than 71 HA. That is why I am seriously thinking about Ripley. I like Ripley's 120mm fork with 51mm offset as I have liked Superfly 100's G2 geometry. As you know SF 100 is a superb climber. I trust that Ripley is too. My big question is, with its 70 HA with a 120mm fork would I feel more stable with Ripley on steep downhill than with my current bike? Would one degree head angle make that difference?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I think it would make a pretty big difference, I ordered the Ripley, a bit of a leap of faith, but based on who long it took them to bring it out and how happy I was with the Mojo I feel it's a solid choice. 22.7 lbs is silly light, I have 2.35 knobby nics and didn't spring for a light weight wheel set since I wasn't planning on keeping the bike super long term. Mine SF climbs amazing BUT going uphill on slow technical trails the front end of the SF is tends to want to wander and weave back and forth, I can make it up things I couldn't climb on a 26" but it takes some focus to keep it straight, it's fast downhills it's a bit twitchy. That being said it's so much fun to ride. I am sold on the DW link, it's plush and stiff at the same time. It works for smaller bumps and big hits while the SF isn't very active on the small stuff and doesn't quite have enough travel for Tahoe riding. My Mojo had less pedal bob. Also the SF fork has a lot of flex and so do my Arch wheels so it's a bit confused, a precision instrument but not always.

I ordered the 34 fork due to flex or lack of. I am still not sure I want 140 up front but am worried the 32 will have too much flex. I am going to upgrade the wheels. Right now I am thinking about going with the Specialized Rovel carbons, pretty light and super stiff. The fork is my last real decision on the bike, that and tires. Thin light tires don't work well here in Tahoe so I am definitely going to put a 2.35 up front and a 2.25 in the rear depending on clearance. Either the Nobby Nics, Hans Dampfs or perhaps some specialized 2.3 ground controls, I don't know yet. Based on the timing on the medium frames I have some time to over analysis it and a friend that is getting his large before mine so he can be the guinea pig.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Three friends of mine ride on 29er carbon Roval Control wheels and they love them. For my weight and type of riding, any more stiffness would be an overkill. I am thinking XX1 set up and X Fusion shock for its simplicity with my future Ripley build but I need more input from other experienced riders on the shock selection.

Your Ripley build with the things you've mentioned I am sure would turn out to be a great trail bike. Good luck, and report how it turns out.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Will report back, I am waiting to hear back from Hans and Aaron at Ibis for their shock and wheel ideals. They have always provided good feedback. XX1 would be pretty cool. I am not totally sold on Sram... yet. Always been Shimano, now I have the SF with XX and a Wieler Cento1 with Sram Force. Pretty happy on mtn but Force is so so, slow and not very precise, I think they call if "Force" since it takes so much force to work it!

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

32 or 34, please help, other build questions?

Quote Originally Posted by Truckeemtb View Post
    Will report back, I am waiting to hear back from Hans and Aaron at Ibis for their shock and wheel ideals. They have always provided good feedback. XX1 would be pretty cool. I am not totally sold on Sram... yet. Always been Shimano, now I have the SF with XX and a Wieler Cento1 with Sram Force. Pretty happy on mtn but Force is so so, slow and not very precise, I think they call if "Force" since it takes so much force to work it!
    Once you've had a test ride with XX1 I don't think you'll want anything else.

mtbr member
    I would go the 140 route. You get more travel and can do more with it and still keep the snappiness. Everyone I have spoken with seems to like the 140.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by midbunchlurker View Post
    Once you've had a test ride with XX1 I don't think you'll want anything else.
    I rode it and want something else. Part of that, I didn't like the throw and feel of the XX1. Sram has had durability issues, but I will say that this design looks like it addressed those things but you never know. Not a Sram guy I guess.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Keep in mind that going from 120 to 140 is not a 20 mm increase in front end ride height. I believe the 140 "chassis" is about 15 mm taller. At least it was last year. If that's still true, it would lift the front end 35mm -- pretty big step.
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Good point, Hans at Ibis thought dropping it to a 130 would yield about .6 steeper. I didn't take into account that I will but putting on some 2.35 up front which will probably give it a little front end boost as well. Hmmmmmmmm.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I think you will like the 140mm up front. May take a bit of getting used to, but it sure feels super stable on the descents. I'm really glad I chose the 140mm up front, mainly because of the geo. I have an Angleset that I was going to put in to slacken the bike out more to around 67.5 degrees, but I really like the way the bike handles now, so I'm just going to leave it as is.