Thread: 2x10 on an SL-R

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

2x10 on an SL-R

I've read some reports that the direct mount FD causes some problems with Shimano 2x10 on the SL-R. Can anyone confirm?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I'm running 2x10 SRAM XO 22-36 rings. I had a couple of issues. Firstly, the FD can't use the full range as the mech touches the frame. It needs to be adjusted using the low limit screw. This causes slight rubbing of the chain but I don't notice when I'm riding as the suspension is then active and the chain does not touch the rub point. (in fact the SRAM FD is the weak link in an otherwise outstanding drive train IMHO).
    Secondly, I needed to go to a long cage RD to avoid chain rub on the underside of the chainstay. I could have avoided this by judicious gear selection on the trail but did not want to risk a brain fart leaving me with a damaged frame.

Can't help with Shimano. But I do believe that the FD mount and shape of the Seat tube below the mount could be designed with bigger margins for the movement of the mech.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Running XTR on my SLR with Raceface crankset (28/40). No issues at all, using long cage shadow plus rear.