Team Chilidog!

New question here. 2x10 Drivetrain question on the HD

I love my HD, and the current drivetrain setup is:

2x10 Shimano XT
    Double crankset with a 38/26T
    Rear cassette is a 11-36

My problem is we have a lot of climbing here, and I would be happy running a 36/24, BUT... Shimano only offers these huge crunching chainrings in the 2x10, and in the 3x10 crankset has something like 40/30/22. I could always do the triple with a bash, but a 30/22 seems kinda silly.

So I'm looking at Raceface and E13, but I'm not sure how compatible they are with the Shimano 10 speed drivetrain.

I tried to do Raceface cranks and a Shimano 10 speed rear cassette on the Ventana, but couldn't get the chainline right. Using a chainguide was the only way I could do that before. I don't want to resort to running a chainguide as a bandaid (and adds resistance to the change).

Would I run into this with the HD too?

Thoughts on my alternatives? My knees most likely will appreciate it.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

mtbr member
    May 2011
    40/32/24 is the Shimano DynaSys Chainring setup. 32 would run out pretty quickly on the road for myself. On the Trail I can run the 32 on everything.

I have used Raceface Rings on a Sram drivetrain and they worked great.

Nothing wrong with a Triple if your knees are bugging you. I run a triple with a K-Edge Chain Catcher, works great.

Chain getting stuck on Mojo HD lower link.

Lightly salted
    This is a pretty cheap buy.
    Shimano XT M780 Oe Crankset > Components > Drivetrain > Cranksets | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

I ran xtr triples, 40/32/24 with a bash replacing big ring and a k-edge chain catcher. Trouble free, never had no issues with shifting. I was using a clutch rear der with it as we'll. Ended up going 1x10, but only for simplicity.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Stripes View Post
    My problem is we have a lot of climbing here, and I would be happy running a 36/24, BUT... Shimano only offers these huge crunching chainrings in the 2x10, and in the 3x10 crankset has something like 40/30/22. I could always do the triple with a bash, but a 30/22 seems kinda silly.
    I had the same problem with the 38/26T on my XTR 2x10 crankset - the 26T was way too big a gear for my legs and the hills around here. So I just swapped out the 26T for a Blackspire chainring. It still shifts fine. (I didn't change the 38; sometimes it seems a bit tall, but then there are other times when I like it so I haven't bothered to change it yet. This is actually a bigger jump than the 14T the front derailleur is rated for, but it is working fine. You would be fine with a 38/24T.)

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I bought the XT triple setup and replaced the big ring with a bash guard. Was running bash/32/24 for a long time but recently picked up a Race Face 36. I also changed my front derailuer to a 2X. Everything runs great. Love having the extra high end range for downhills and my 24 for steep climbs.

Grams Light Bikes
    Running the Shimano SLX 210 38-24 with 11-36 in the rear without any issues.

[put something cool here]
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by pastajet View Post
    Running the Shimano SLX 210 38-24 with 11-36 in the rear without any issues.
    Me running the Shimano XT 210 38-24 with 11-36 in the rear without any issues. My LBS set this up on my wish, I didn't bother with the actual origin of the 24 ring.

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by agoura_biker View Post
    I had the same problem with the 38/26T on my XTR 2x10 crankset - the 26T was way too big a gear for my legs and the hills around here. So I just swapped out the 26T for a Blackspire chainring. It still shifts fine. (I didn't change the 38; sometimes it seems a bit tall, but then there are other times when I like it so I haven't bothered to change it yet. This is actually a bigger jump than the 14T the front derailleur is rated for, but it is working fine. You would be fine with a 38/24T.)
    Cool, I'll see if I can get a 24T blackspire ring and see if it can cooperate with the XT 2x setup. That's what you're running right? You dind't actually say what size ring you're running The worst it costs me is a small chainring.Does Blackspire differentiate between 9 and 10 speed on their chainrings?

The Ventana had a weird chainline, so things just did not work right unless I was running a chainguide.

mtbr member
    shimano triple is 42-32-24. i used to run it as 2x10 with bashguard and 11-32 casette here in front range, co. lots of climbing here too. i am now on 1x10 and can not see myself going back to front shifter. you will only get stronger pushing bigger chainrings .
    HuRa
    architecture and interior design
    website facebook

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by brankulo View Post
    shimano triple is 42-32-24. i used to run it as 2x10 with bashguard and 11-32 casette here in front range, co. lots of climbing here too. i am now on 1x10 and can not see myself going back to front shifter. you will only get stronger pushing bigger chainrings .
    My knees and hips feel otherwise because I've already done a 1x setup with a 30T and a 28T. It's just too much until I can get something like an XX1 or an X01. I'd rather not push bigger rings and limit my amount of time I can ride (don't want to go through another knee surgery if I have to) because of it.

A 24T sounds like a reasonable solution, and the most cost effective one. Thanks folks.

mtbr member
    ok, wasnt aware of that. however, you can always use some of the cheaper mods to rear cassette than xx1. general lee or one of the others
    HuRa
    website facebook

Team Chilidog!
    ok, wasnt aware of that. however, you can always use some of the cheaper mods to rear cassette than xx1. general lee or one of the others
    No worries. Yeah, knee and hip issues when I push too hard of a gear. Trying to get stronger first. I would be really happy if Shimano came out with a 1x setup, but they haven't figured that out.

I think I'm going to go that direction for a 1x setup. Not sure if you run that setup, but I've heard there are some issues with it, and it's just easier to replace a granny gear (and cheaper) than general lee cassette.

Shoot, I might have a 24T chainring from Raceface lying around I could prolly try.

mtbr member
    i actually run 41 cog from ebay with 11-36 cassette. have over 2000 miles on it since this spring, no issues so far. $35 investment.
    HuRa
    website facebook

Team Chilidog!
    i actually run 41 cog from ebay with 11-36 cassette. have over 2000 miles on it since this spring, no issues so far. $35 investment.
    Ok, point taken :P But I'm going to try a 24T first since I don't have my single ring crankset anymore.

mtbr member
    Running a Sram 3x10 XO crankset with the big ring replaced with a bash guard 22 / 33

Got kinda a crazy combination drivetrain but it works perfect, do use a small spacer on the derailleur though to get precise shifting. Works great with the big ring also but those things only last me a few weeks riding Tahoe before I grind off the teeth.

XO 9 speed shifters
    XO 9 speed cassette 11-34
    XT 9 speed chain
    XT 10 speed front derailleur
    XT 10 Speed Rear derailleur
    XO 10 speed 3x10 crank with big ring removed.
    Go get that KOM "You Deserve" - http://www.digitalepo.com/index.php

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Stripes View Post
    Cool, I'll see if I can get a 24T blackspire ring and see if it can cooperate with the XT 2x setup. That's what you're running right? You dind't actually say what size ring you're running The worst it costs me is a small chainring.Does Blackspire differentiate between 9 and 10 speed on their chainrings?
    Sorry about not mentioning the ring I'm using - it's a 22T. So I'm running a 38/22, which is 2 teeth more than Shimano rates the front derailleur but it's working fine. A 38/24 would be perfect.

Blackspire does have a few different chainrings, so you would just have to pick the right one. Since I'm using an XTR double crankset, there is a ring specifically for that because it uses a different spacing. (I hear you can also just add a spacer.) I think you could just use their SuperPro rings Blackspire - SuperPro 104/64 BCD Chainrings | Blackspire, but you would want to make sure that's the right one for your cranks. They are pretty cheap at about $30.

I see you you already have a RaceFace ring; that should work fine, too.