Thread: 2nd hand Mojo's

mtbr member
    Oct 2012

2nd hand Mojo's

I rode a demo Mojo at the weekend and now looking to buy a second hand one.
    Can anyone tell me what to look for/check for before buying and if there are any known issues with these frames please?

I'm looking at the SL model in naked carbon in medium.

Thanks, Ian

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    The first and best advice is to look for a shop's demo bike. Being the end of the season, this is when they're getting sold off. You would get a good discount on a very well-maintained one-year-old bike without a lot of the risk of buying second hand. If your local shop doesn't have anything available, look in the classifieds here and on PB.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Thanks for your reply.

I've searched all the usual places and there are a couple I've got my eye on. The centre I demo'd the Mojo at only have the one demo HD that they will be selling off but at the moment they are asking over 3'000 for it, I don't have that kind of money. I'm looking to spend no more than 2'000 so its going to be one thats out of warranty hence what I would like to know is what sort of problems, if any, do the frames suffer from and what I should be checking for when I view 2nd hand frames.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    In my opinion, this is a great frame to buy used. I bought one second hand and it was super solid. The issues that generally arise on these forums tend to involve catastrophic failures after big impacts, and should be obvious to you on careful inspection. Ibis CS is second to none, and they stand behind their bikes.

I would be more concerned with the components at that price point, and be prepared to check carefully their condition and to replace worn bits as neessary. If you're buying used you should both be competent to do this, and build in some funds for the inevitable failures.

They do seem to command premium prices used, however, although less so now for the SL.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Cheers

Yeah I'm pretty competent building, replacing & repairing. One I've seen has had all the pivots replaced for new including the Lopes Link and servicing done on the shocks so the seller seems to have taken care of it and not just used & abused it.

Documented failures are mostly from crashes then, not from fatigue?
    Has anyone had any experience of the price involved to replace the front or rear triangle if needed?
    I have seen a couple of frames were the sellers have stated that the front/rear triangle has been replaced under warranty due to a problem within the warranty period.

mtbr member
    I've been surprised by the lack of "deals" on used mojo's lately, but I'm generally just looking for frames, not complete bikes.

Things to look for:
    My first '07 Mojo frame failed where the main pivot sleeve is bonded into the carbon of the front triangle...basically got soft around that aluminum sleeve so that the main pivot was wallowing around... actually started to make me believe the "flexy mojo" stories until I found the problem. Ibis covered it like champs! Apparently this problem was seen on few of the first SL's as well, so the safe bet might be to avoid early ('08) SL's.

Some people have reported separation of the sleeve that's bonded into the top of the seat tube, but it's only cosmetic unless it comes loose completely....and that can then be fixed with JB Weld....so not a serious problem, but might help you negotiate a better price

Lower link bearings are usually the first to go, particularly the smaller diameter rear bearings. If you get to inspect a frame first hand, bring 2x 5 & 6 mm allens with you so you can separate things and check the bearings. New bearings can be pressed in, or you can just replace the links/bearings with a new set from Ibis.

Earlier SL's will have earlier versions of the lower link (unless they were updated) which were revised with a noticeably stiffer version around the end of 2010 / early 2011 *IIRC*.

There were a couple reports of cracked rear triangles on the left side bridge between the seatstays and chainstays, but those were waaaay back.... probably not a concern, but of course you'll want to look for any obvious cracks or impact damage and soft spots in the carbon..... really, these frames are some tough little bastages.

Good luck....it will be worth the effort!

mtbr member
    Hey 1210, I sent you a PM.

I don't think you'll find ANY "fatigue" failures, and very few crash related failures. They had a few minor kinks which Ibis covered with their usual over the top CS....otherwise, they're pretty bomb proof frames.

Dropshot Champ!
    I know a guy selling a medium in vicious blue locally. x9 build w/ crossmax, revelation+20mm, elixir cr's, and a reverb.

He's asking sub 2k for it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    1210tech, you might also consider the 'Mojo Special Blend' for $2750 new (don't know if they sell then outside the US) which is an amazing deal. Otherwise I wouldn't hesitate to buy a used Mojo (I've gotten 2) as Ibis CS is simply amazing - can't say that about many other companies, especially second hand - just check the components conditions of course.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by doismellbacon View Post
    Hey 1210, I sent you a PM.
    PM replied to, thanks for all the info

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by redmr2_man View Post
    I know a guy selling a medium in vicious blue locally. x9 build w/ crossmax, revelation+20mm, elixir cr's, and a reverb.

He's asking sub 2k for it.
    Thanks for the heads up but got my heart set on a naked carbon, looks so much sexier than the painted ones 8)

If there are any others selling please note I am in the UK so will be looking for a UK bike only, thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by adumesny View Post
    1210tech, you might also consider the 'Mojo Special Blend' for $2750 new (don't know if they sell then outside the US) which is an amazing deal. Otherwise I wouldn't hesitate to buy a used Mojo (I've gotten 2) as Ibis CS is simply amazing - can't say that about many other companies, especially second hand - just check the components conditions of course.
    Yeah, the SL special blend is available in the UK and I could get it on a 0% interest deal for 100 a month over 2 years, only thing is the equipment it comes with is middle of the road and quite heavy and I know I'll end up spending even more to replace stuff to make it lighter. It's still an option though so we'll see

I need a new name
    Jun 2004
    If you weren't in the UK I'd be willing to entertain the idea of selling mine. Naked carbon, medium, XT build, DT wheels...
    i ride bikes

mtbr member
    OP I am English but live in the US and send used stuff back to mates all the time. I wouldn't limit your search for a second hand frame to the UK as they're typically cheaper over here even after the $100 or so US post office shipping fee. You just need to find a seller that will send it over the pond.

The_Afterman
    Quote Originally Posted by 1210tech View Post
    Thanks for your reply.

I've searched all the usual places and there are a couple I've got my eye on. The centre I demo'd the Mojo at only have the one demo HD that they will be selling off but at the moment they are asking over 3'000 for it, I don't have that kind of money. I'm looking to spend no more than 2'000 so its going to be one thats out of warranty hence what I would like to know is what sort of problems, if any, do the frames suffer from and what I should be checking for when I view 2nd hand frames.
    If you've got $1750 USD, we can trade money for Medium black mojo HD frame.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by wilks View Post
    OP I am English but live in the US and send used stuff back to mates all the time. I wouldn't limit your search for a second hand frame to the UK as they're typically cheaper over here even after the $100 or so US post office shipping fee. You just need to find a seller that will send it over the pond.
    The problem is checking the frames before buying though, I ain't gonna part with a couple of grand if I haven't seen the bike in the flesh.