Thread: 29er Tranny?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

29er Tranny?

I have a feeling this question has been asked in the past but...

Why not offer a 29er version of the Tranny? Wouldn't it be easy, just a different bolt on rear triangle? I can see how the world doesn't need another 29er full suspension bike but it could definitely use another sweet carbon 29er hardtail. What say you Hans and Scot?

aka dan51
    The response will be:
    29ers haven't made it big anywhere except in the US. Looking at the bike market as a whole, 29ers are a small portion and not worth the time to invest in yet. It will be re-evaluated over time as to whether or not it's worth doing.

That said, there is probably some super secret Ibis plan to build one and they will spend the next 2 years making it super perfect.
    Those who know, ride a Mojo AND a Mojo HD.
    Quadzilla
    Quote Originally Posted by benja55
    Ok, whatever, cold water on my bike boner right there.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I believe the geos for the front triangle are different for a 29 vs a 26? Not sure?

www.derbyrims.com
    Quote Originally Posted by island1speeder
    I have a feeling this question has been asked in the past but...

Why not offer a 29er version of the Tranny? Wouldn't it be easy, just a different bolt on rear triangle?
    Not so easy... The center frame would also need to be all new to achieve a steeper head angle and much lower BB drop for a 29'er.

MTBR Contributing Editor
    A 29er (heck I own one) is a an entire re-engineering, and not a simple swap out, longer wheelbase, steep head angle, longer chainstays, etc. It is not even a remote entity on the Ibis radar...