Is the 26" HD dead?

Any word, facts or rumors? Hope not.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    No Way.. looks to be doing fine.
    HERO3 Test- around JH on Vimeo

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Ha. Yeah. Seen that. The 26" is alive and well in WY.

Wondering if Ibis is planning to bail on the 26" wheel like the rest of the industry....

mtbr member
    I hope not.
    ....doubt they'd go that far. They'll make em for as long as people are buying em

mtbr member
    Based on Lopes tweets he would not be very happy about it. Bike is so popular, I can't see it going away.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    The 650b is going to be another option. Just like the 29er, the single speed, the hard tail , the belt drive, etc...

I can 't see it taking over because many of the short comings of a 26" wheel are eliminated or minimized with dual suspenison.
    Once you start increasing wheel sizes you start trading this for that. Rolls better, but more energy to get up to speed. Rides faster , but turns wider. Etc...

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    650 is just a way for the bike industry to sell you the same bike again. The market of 26" is served to the brim, so there is only one way to sell more bikes: create a need for them and with it a new market that has to be served. That's the root for the 650 or 29er hype. For me at least.

We might still like the one or the other better of ocurse.

Lightly salted
    Ending the 26" HD would be a huge mistake on Ibis's part. I doubt they would go that far. I know I wouldn't have bought mine if it was not a 26" bike. Giving options to those that want other wheel sizes is good, but don't mess with a good thing. Ibis should really make a 650b specific bike and leave the HD as a 26" bike. I have tried all the wheel sizes and by far like 26" best. I am no where near the rider that Brain lopes is, but I agree with him on his recent tweet about 26" wheels.

Brian Lopes‏@BrianLopes

Oh & rode my 26"mojo slr today & it was a nice reminder that 26" wheels r just more fun to ride. Much more lively, flickable, & snappier��

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by fuenstock View Post
    I have tried all the wheel sizes and by far like 26" best.
    Out of curiosity, how would you compare the HD with 26" wheels vs 650b and what type of trails are you riding? I ask because everyone seems to rave about their HD 650b setups (except for Lopes apparently)...

Cheers!
    ride, eat, sleep, repeat

Lightly salted
    Quote Originally Posted by tdotrider View Post
    Out of curiosity, how would you compare the HD with 26" wheels vs 650b and what type of trails are you riding? I ask because everyone seems to rave about their HD 650b setups (except for Lopes apparently)...

Cheers!
    I think you hear some much from the 650b guys because it's something new and they want to talk about it. Mean while the 26" guys are just riding. Around here, I probably have only seen 1 or maybe 2 650b bikes in the past 3 months. I ride my hd every where from 35+ mile xc rides to dh bike parks, and am more than happy with the 26" wheels. Giving people the option to run 650b on the hd or even making a 650b specific bike would be good for those that want it, but it's not for every one.

artistic...
    The stupid wheel wars should die instead. Can't stand riders (morons) whose only thing to say is wheel this wheel that. Just (learn how to) ride whatever bike you've got w/ grace and style.
    want: Ibis ti handlebar. suntour 31.8 front derr. bottom pull

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    All Ibis needs to do in order to do 27.5" on an HD is to produce a new rear triangle that either has modular dropouts to be used for both 26" and 27.5" or a fixed one with the clearance to run any 27.5" tire out there. They already sanction running a 27.5" on an HD 140 so the basic geometry seems to be ok to them. Then, the addition of ~10mm of chainstay length and possibly a slight BB drop to compensate would probably be easy to deal with. I'm not an HD owner (SL-R) but would welcome a bigger wheel system w/o going all the way to 29" for trail and AM bikes. Of course, I could put a 27.5" on the front and get a lot of benefit just from that too.
    2013 Ibis Ripley
    2012 Ibis Mojo SL-R
    2009 C'dale Rize 3

mtbr member
    Keep the 26" wheels. That's cool. Just give us an option that allows us to run 650B native, without jacking up BB height or tire clearances.

Oh, and while they are at it, I'm ready to order a Ripley so where is it?

#AINTNOBODYGOTTIMEFERDAT
    I am NOT impressed by 29ers. The HD is just so much more damn fun and rowdy. In fact I want to sell my 29er and put that money into my HD.
    YouTube | #1 Rule for California mtb: If you're having fun, it's illegal.

Mtb Guide
    Just stupid question, industry needs a kick in the buttwad.

Who cares what wheel size ya ride, if you want 9er cool, 27.5 sweet, 26 brilliant, hard-tail, FS, steel, titanium, carbon who gives a rats ride it, this whole debate is ridiculous.