Go ride!
    Dec 2011

21 Pound Ripley with Sram XLoc Full Sprint

I spend most days in the office and shop working on the newest, lightest and most innovative products so when customers asked me what bike would I build next, this was the answer.
    I wanted to play off the Ripley's XC like characteristics and build a bike that could convert the most die hard 29er hardtail enthusiast back to a full suspension platform. The weight needed to be light but not to the point of sacrificing durability. Above all the bike needed to be a blast to ride.
    After today's maiden voyage I can say that his bike out-shined every goal. The lockout worked so well that I found myself using it almost as much as the shifter. It isn't a fully ridged lockout but provides enough firmness to get out the saddle and hammer the pedals. The fork isn't a 34mm Pike but it provided plenty of confidence and cushioning to push the downhills just as hard.
    Will it replace my hardtail? No, but it will be the bike that I wish I was riding every time I take my hardtail out.

Here are the full build specs as well as a link to the full Facebook Gallery (https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...44919&type=1):

Frame: Large Black and Green
    Shock: Monarch XX
    Headset: Cane Creek 40 Series
    Fork: Rock SID w/ XX Remote Damper
    Remote: Xloc Full Sprint Lockout
    Stem: Enve 90mm Special Edition Stealth
    Bars: Enve Sweep Special Edition Stealth
    Grips: ESI Racers Edge
    Seatpost: Woodman EL Post
    Saddle: Fizik Tundra 00
    Cranks: 2014 Next SL w/ 30t Narrow Wide Ring
    BB: E13 BB92 to 30mm Cups
    Chain: XX1
    Cassette: X01 (actually weighed in lighter than XX1)
    Deraileur: XX1
    Shifter: XX1 Trigger
    Brakes: Hope Race Evo X2 w/ Matchmaker
    Rotors: 160/160mm Ashima Ai2
    Wheels: I9 Ultralite 24H
    F. Tire: Schwalbe Rocket Ron 29 x 2.25
    R. Tire: Schwalbe Racing Ralph 29 x 2.25
    Cage: Arundel Side Loader Matte Carbon
    Extras: Full Ti Hardware

Now stop think about buying a Ripley and just do it!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 21 Pound Ripley with Sram XLoc Full Sprint-marks-ripley-3.jpg  

21 Pound Ripley with Sram XLoc Full Sprint-img_0277.jpg  

21 Pound Ripley with Sram XLoc Full Sprint-marks-ripley-5.jpg  

21 Pound Ripley with Sram XLoc Full Sprint-marks-ripley-19.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Very nice package! There are a couple of components I don't recognize (Woodman seatpost), but I'm surprised you could get such a great weight with pretty standard components. Very rideable components. Very nice ride!

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    That thing must FLY UPHILL. Good work!
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    don't forget your pedals!

i have a similar build in XL with a SID and microlite and the same wheels...nowhere near 21lbs, but i have a thomson dropper...i'm at around 25lbs...so with pedals, still looking at a ~3lb differential...not sure how you pulled it off! do you have sealant in the tires?

Go ride!
    Dec 2011
    A quick word or two about the weight...
    1. Most companies don't include pedals in their advertised bike weights which is why we excluded them. I run EB 11 pedals so you can add 174g (.4 pounds)
    2. Tires are not the snake skin version which saves almost half a pound over the SS but sidewall durability definitely suffers.
    3. Compared to a dropper post and standard saddle the Woodman and Tundra 00 combo is a huge weight savings. Woodman post - 120 grams, Tundra 00 - 145 grams vs. LEV Dropper - 580g and average MTB saddle - 250-300 grams
    4. The Hope Race X2 Evo brakes plus 2 160mm Ai2 rotors and mounting hardware come in at 562 grams. I can't say enough good things about these brakes. They are inexpensive compared to MT8s or R1 Racings, are easy to bleed and have plenty of power.
    5. The i9 Ultralight wheels are 1410 grams, very stiff and have a great engagement. Plus is was time to try something other than Enve, at least for a few rides.
    6. ESI grips are 50 grams versus lock-on rubber grips which are around 125 grams. Plus they are cheap, comfortable and come in lots of colors.
    7. Last but not least, the Next SL cranks come in at 446 grams with the chainring and spindle versus the XX1 at 565 grams.

All these things add up to about a 1200-1500 gram weight savings which is right around 3 pounds.

In all honestly, upgrading the tires to Snake Skin would probably be a smart move in the long run and the design of the Woodman seatpost head is not the most reliable so I will have to come back with a long term review.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    thanks for the reply...i hope it didn't seem like i was doubting you! i was just trying to bridge the gap...

amazing build!

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Thanks for those extra comments about the weight savings. It sounds like, understandably, there were a few concessions to save weight - especially the tires, maybe the durability of the seatpost head or comfort of the saddle - but that mostly this is a very robust build and should hold up very well to real use. I'm happy with my Pike and Nobby Nic 2.35 front tire on my Ripley for extra performance on rocky downhills - but I sure would love to have a 21-pound bike for the uphills!

Go ride!
    Dec 2011
    Thanks for all the positive feedback and I hope everyone enjoys seeing what this bike is capable of on the XC side of things. There is no question that this bike blows the Jet 9 RDO and Scalpel 29er out of the water and should be a serious consideration for anyone looking for a full suspension race bike.

I wouldn't really consider the tires to be a concession given the trails I generally ride in Socal but would certainly recommend the Nobby Nic over them for rocky terrain.

As with all my bikes, this one is available for demo so let me know if you are in Orange County and would like to take her for a spin.

It's the axle
    Ha! This is almost the exact build I have put together on my future bike. I was wondering what it would weigh in real life. Now I know. Thanks for sharing this.

I wanted carbon rims, but the Ultralights were a grand less, and weighed less than carbon.
    Note to self: 85% of FTP for 20 min.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    how you liking those ultra light I9's? I want a set of trail 24 holes for my ripley. How much do you weigh?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    deleted

Go ride!
    Dec 2011
    These wheels do have a 180 pounds suggest rider weight limit but on a bad day I can be 10 pounds over that limit. The wheels are incredible stiff, light and responsive so as long as I am not doing any serious enduro riding I don't have any concerns. Don't get me wrong, I have put these wheels through the ringer and back and they are still perfectly true and the rims are still perfect.

The new torch hub is a huge improvement in drag over the old I9 hubs and all new wheel builds are shipping with spare spokes, pawl springs and o-ring for the axle caps. With any hub that has such good engagement they are going to be a little louder when coasting but you can quiet them down dramatically with Dumonde Tech's Liquid Grease (not recommend for cold weather riding).

If you know you want a slightly wider rim profile then the Trail 24H will be perfect for you and the wheels will still be incredibly light.

Anyone near Newport Beach, CA is welcome to come and demo them. We also have a set of Enve XC 29er demo wheels so you can compare the two.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Does the PBS company sell the "hardware kit" I read about somewhere? What would be in it?
    A bicycle will take you to fantastic places....if you let it.

Ibis fan since '08 now rolling on the big wheeled Ripley.

mtbr member

Re: 21 Pound Ripley with Sram XLoc Full Sprint

Quote Originally Posted by Pro Bike Supply View Post
    These wheels do have a 180 pounds suggest rider weight limit but on a bad day I can be 10 pounds over that limit. The wheels are incredible stiff, light and responsive so as long as I am not doing any serious enduro riding I don't have any concerns. Don't get me wrong, I have put these wheels through the ringer and back and they are still perfectly true and the rims are still perfect.

The new torch hub is a huge improvement in drag over the old I9 hubs and all new wheel builds are shipping with spare spokes, pawl springs and o-ring for the axle caps. With any hub that has such good engagement they are going to be a little louder when coasting but you can quiet them down dramatically with Dumonde Tech's Liquid Grease (not recommend for cold weather riding).

If you know you want a slightly wider rim profile then the Trail 24H will be perfect for you and the wheels will still be incredibly light.

Anyone near Newport Beach, CA is welcome to come and demo them. We also have a set of Enve XC 29er demo wheels so you can compare the two.
    I am 5'9", will the Large be too big?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I'm 6'2" and an xl fit me perfect, go for the large.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I'm 5' 9.5" and I am on a medium. It fit me well and I am glad I didn't go large.
    2013 Ibis Ripley
    2012 Ibis Mojo SL-R
    2009 C'dale Rize 3

Go ride!
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by 4212darren View Post
    Does the PBS company sell the "hardware kit" I read about somewhere? What would be in it?
    There isn't really a "stock kit" but we can get you full Ti hardward. The exact bolts will depend on your type of brakes, your brake adapter (e.g. post mount 180mm, etc.) and your shifter type.

The Ripley actually comes with Ti water bottle cage bolts so all we swapped out was the following:
    - Rotor mounting bolts
    - Brake adapter bolts
    - Race X2 Evo brakes come with Ti hardward for the levers
    - Trigger shifter mounting bolt for the matchmaker
    - Stem and seatpost can with full ti hardward
    - The curve of the frame near the seatpost collar makes it tough to find a different lighter weight collar

Go ride!
    Dec 2011
    At 5'9" you can go with either a medium or large depending on what bike you are coming off of and your riding style. Go with the large if you prefer a longer top tube and more of a XC setup. Stick with the medium if you wanted a most aggressive setup.

I was coming off of a medium Niner Air 9 RDO so the large Ripley was only 10mm longer in the top tube.

In general we have never had anyone complain about sizing up but here plenty on comments about the bike fitting a little small.

mtbr member

Re: 21 Pound Ripley with Sram XLoc Full Sprint

Quote Originally Posted by Pro Bike Supply View Post
    At 5'9" you can go with either a medium or large depending on what bike you are coming off of and your riding style. Go with the large if you prefer a longer top tube and more of a XC setup. Stick with the medium if you wanted a most aggressive setup.

I was coming off of a medium Niner Air 9 RDO so the large Ripley was only 10mm longer in the top tube.

In general we have never had anyone complain about sizing up but here plenty on comments about the bike fitting a little small.
    Currently on a Santa Cruz TB and TRc 650b, both mediums. 80 and 60mm stems. Need to check and compare the geometry.
    I might give you a call next week and book the demo :thumbup:

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    In the Ripley build thread I was stressin' about the difference in weight between yours and my XL... thanks for the details... I can now see where the weight lies. I'm a big guy (200+ lbs), and last year I broke a seat, a post, a crank, two chains, a rear hub, and had a couple Crests "straightened" (which arent all that hard to unstraighten).

In order to toughen up the bike, I-

-kept the XX1 crank on. SRAM has been amazing about handing me new crankarms over the years, no questions asked.
    -Put a 170g Enve seatpost on. Its tough as nails and I like a little flex in a post when I really make a dumb mistake.
    -weighed it with the pedals. I run the XTR pedals because they hold up. Eggbeaters and Time's seem to eat themselves here in the NW mud.
    -Run RoRo front and rear (mud mud mud mud). S-Works Ground Controls also work well here in the mud. Lots of Stans.
    -Carbon 32H wheels with DT240s front and rear. You gotta have a wheel you can thrash to make MTB-ing a little more fun.
    -XTR trail brakes. They could weigh 400g a side and I'd still use 'em. Just far and away better than anything else on the market (IMHO).
    -180mm AiRotor in the front. Because 240lbs downhill.
    -stock Fox CTD shock, because I want to try what it was built with first before I mess around with something else.

Otherwise, almost identical build.. my XL is 23.2lbs (22.5 w/o pedals)

It sure does ride amazing!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I have two XX1, weight is 274 and 270. What did your black X01 cassette weigh on your scale?

[QUOTE=Pro Bike Supply;10784821]
    Cassette: X01 (actually weighed in lighter than XX1)

Go ride!
    Dec 2011
    We got 263 for the X01 and 266 for the XX1.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...8044919&type=3

The difference in weight is obviously just a manufacturing inconsistency but reaffirms the fact that the X01 and XX1 cassette are the same except for the finish.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Nice work and thank you for going through the effort to weigh, post and describe everything.