mtbr member
    Dec 2011

2015 model range

So what would you like to see for the 2015 modelrange?

Mine would be:

Mojo SL-R:

650B
    130mm rear, 140mm front (or 130mm)
    68 degree headangle (with 140mm fork) in stead of 69
    same chainstay length (16.9''/429mm)

Mojo HD-R:

650B
    150mm rear, 160mm front (or 150mm)
    66.8 degree headangle (with 160mm fork)
    same chainstay length (17.1''/435mm)

[put something cool here]
    Oct 2011
    Since Ibis doesn't work in yearly makes I think the other wish threads pretty much still cover this, no?

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Perhaps they don't yearly updates, but I do think it will be hard not too change both the SL-R and de HD-R next year. They need to update the SL-R IMO (650B, slacker headangle). Without also changing the 650B HD-R the two bikes will almost be the same in that case. Apart from that, people want more travel for the 650B HD-R.

mtbr member
    These were my comments about 1.5 yr ago when Hans asked what their next 5 bikes should be. I stand by them, more or less, minor geometry tweaks (thanks to new forks/offsets available now, etc.) notwithstanding.

That thread is here...

What should the next 5 models be?

I think Budgie and Chalkpaw are dead on that it's time for something out of left field from Ibis..... a practical, super versatile, yet super stylish genre-buster. Think Scorcher meets Tranny meets Lugi meets Salsa Fargo....done in carbon, 700c, with Ibis style. Offer 2 or 3 very different builds/bars/drivetrains.... A light sleek urban single speed or fixie, a decked out commuter, a monster crossin' adventure build. Really let Roxy show her chops!

On the mountain bike front... combine the advantages of HD-style adjustable travel and eccentric bearing weight and packaging with 26 / 650b convertability. Serve the XC racer market and the light aggressive trail guys with a Ripley style frame running 110/130mm travel (or maybe 120/140), sub 5 lbs, with a 69 HA in short travel mode & 120 fork, 68 in long travel w/ 140 fork... bb height in the 13.5-13.7" range w/ 650b wheels, 13-13.2" w/ 26".

That bike will free up the HD to go more aggressive.... longer slacker lower w/ more chain retention options. 170mm mode w/ big fork, 65-66 HA and low bb, and 150mm mode w/ 67.5 HA +- w/ 150-160mm fork for the aggressive trail/enduro/all day fun all mountain crusher.... also 650b, with the option of 26" for those still living in the present or obsessed with low bb's. This one could maintain the Mojo aesthetic since bottle placement and obsessive weight savings aren't as critical.... and because it would be a shame to let the Mojo form go away! I think that's as far toward a dedicated downhill racer as Ibis needs to go.... as cool as a World Cup caliber DH Ibis would be, they've got to be able to sell enough to make it feasible, and that sounds like a stretch to me.

A 29er hard tail seems like a no brainer and Ibis could surely sell some.... on the other hand, it's become a really crowded me-too market. Maybe make it a tranny, with a progressive geometry, short chainstays, approved for 100-140mm forks if it's possible without ending up with funky bb height compromises... 68 HA w/ a 34/140mm fork..... 70 HA w/ a 100.

The road side deserves attention... with the advent of tapered steerers, electronic shifting, internal cable routing, disk brakes, and new bb standards, Ibis deserves to have a cutting edge bike with a twist. Make it fast, light, and stiff, but with disk brakes, supple ride quality, and tire clearance so it's not a one trick pony race bike only.

It's fun to fantasize... Thanks, Ibis, for caring enough to ask, and for 19 years and counting (for me) of awesome mountain bikes.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    IMO 650B is BS...Demo'd a few 650 bikes and my 26 HD feels soo much better. It accelerates quicker and feels more lively. 650 roll over advantage is so small that it's not worth it.

I also have a 29r so I do know what a truly larger wheel feels like.

Lightly salted
    Quote Originally Posted by canuck_tacoma View Post
    IMO 650B is BS...Demo'd a few 650 bikes and my 26 HD feels soo much better. It accelerates quicker and feels more lively. 650 roll over advantage is so small that it's not worth it.

My same thought here,
    I have a HDR 160 26" and a 29er hardtail, not interested in all in the 27.5
    I just hope they keep making the HDR 26" compatible.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by fuenstock View Post
    I just hope they keep making the HDR 26" compatible.
    Yep, I appreciate ibis making the HD 650 because that is what the trend is and they would get criticism for not doing so. The HD is just a brilliant AM/Trail bike in 26-160 mode.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by canuck_tacoma View Post

I know what you mean, but 650B isn't something bike companies can't ignore anymore. It's a market reality. Of course if they can maintain 26 compatibility in the process, that would be great.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Bring back the tandems...

No wait.. don't... My wife would kill me... LOL

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    My wife was looking to order a SL-R in orange but we were told that they are not available and our LBS had no idea when they could get one. So I called Ibis and finally got out of them the only colors you can order an SL-R in is silver and black because that’s all they have in stock and they won’t be getting any more in because they are phasing out the SL and SL-R. The guy I talked to said they are going to concentrate on the HDR’s and Ripley. So she ordered a black SL-R.

Sponge Brain
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mike540 View Post
    ...they are phasing out the SL and SL-R. The guy I talked to said they are going to concentrate on the HDR’s and Ripley.
    This doesn't supprise me at all. The Ripley really does replace the trail bike nature of the SL/SL-R (I'd bet the sales numbers reflect that) and they were quick to stop offering the HD when the HDR arrived.

I still expect a new model in the next 4-6 months. Hardtail? Road bike? 650B AM bike? I have no clue.