mtbr member
    May 2011

2013 Fox 34 Talas vs 2011 Fox 36 Float on Mojo HD?

I currently ride a 2011 36 Float on my HD (tapered, of course). I suddenly have the opportunity for an excellent deal on a 34 Talas. I've ridden the 36 Talas on an HD and loved it. I, personally, like adjustable travel.

Fox claims that the 34 Talas should be stiffer than my old 36 Float! Still, it has a 15qr rather than a 20qr. Could this thing really feel as stiff as my old float? The last thing I want is a noodley fork. I'm only 145lbs, but I ride pretty hard.

I am very tempted by this 34 Talas with the 15qr, I just find it unbelievable that it could be as stiff as my 36 float. Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks for your help. I value your opinions as always, o ye Ibis geeks!

~Circles

mtbr member
    i would stick with 36. no way 34 is stiffer. on another note, i have 36 talas and never use it. it is easier to shift my weight around than worry about flicking talas lever. in fact i will be converting it to float soon.
    HuRa
    architecture and interior design
    website facebook

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Fox claims the 34 is stiffer than the 32, not the 36. i've owned forks with all 3 stanchion diameters and the 36 is most definitely the stiffest. the 32 is a noodle at my 200lbs, the 34 good for xc/trail use but since going to a fork with 36mm stanchions i won't go back. the HD deserves a stiff fork.
    ride, eat, sleep, repeat

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Neither, X-Fusion Vengeance HLR Air.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I'd say it really depends on what you normally ride too. At 145lbs, I would think the 34 would be plenty enough. I went from a RS Lyrik 160 (35mm stanchion) to a Fox 32 Talas 140...yeah it didn't fell as stiff in the beginning, but after the adjustment period, I really enjoyed having the lighter fork up front. The downside is I've blown the rebound damper twice this past year and Talas air spring once. Do you think you will use the travel adjustment? For my Ripley build I just ordered a Fox 34 Float 140 with it (Fox 32 out of stock and I can't wait any longer), so I'll see how much difference it is. I weigh 150lbs too.