Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: 2013 build kits

  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: simenf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    367

    2013 build kits

    I looked at the updated SL-R build kits for X9 and XT. Nice updates in most cases like suspension, but it seems to me like some strange choices have been made in other components.

    XT: why go for anything else than the XT 785 brakes? They get rave reviews and are probably cheaper when bought in an XT group rather than adding the Formula RX0 later. Formula also has less than class leading modulation and durability on the low end RX, but maybe not so on the RX0? And a triple on a trail bike with no option for an XT double?

    X9: Long cage on a double ring set up? Really?

    All: And why the relatively narrow NoTubes Arch rims when the Flows are wider, more modern and minimal added weight? In any case, why not Arch EX? If you wanna go light, go the Crest route like in the XTR-kit. Arch is sort of the bad compromise in comparison with the other options.

    I am just a bit stunned. I don't rule out that I am missing the point, but in that case, somebody please lay it out to me :-)

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,576
    To date, the only change is they are offering are forks ,from 2012 models to 2013 Fox Float CTD 2013 at no charge for the moment, I donīt see more changes.

    About brakes , no recent changes, Formula brakes are excellent RXO simply are one of the best.

    The X9 rear derailleur with long cage works seamlessly with the 39/26 double ring.

    The difference in weight between Flow and Arch can be significant for some but not significant for others, Flow 1875 g, 1724 g Arch.

    Regards.

  3. #3
    The Crow
    Reputation: Iwan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    857
    Their build kits have always been a bit..."alternative". I will choose rims / wheels base on the rest of the kit, but kinda agree on the Arch XC vs std Arch

    Don't agree with your Formula statement. Even the very basic Formula brakes are still better than Shimano. Formula has great modulation and head build-up is close to nothing.

    X9 LC; Doesn't make sense yeah.

    Are they still spec-ing stupidly long stems and narrow bars?
    There's a feeling I get
    When I look to the West
    And my spirit is crying for leaving

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    41
    When do the new bits roll out. Any chance I'll see a 2013 RP23 on a bike coming out of the states this month?

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    38
    Quote Originally Posted by Iwan View Post
    Their build kits have always been a bit..."alternative". I will choose rims / wheels base on the rest of the kit, but kinda agree on the Arch XC vs std Arch

    Don't agree with your Formula statement. Even the very basic Formula brakes are still better than Shimano. Formula has great modulation and head build-up is close to nothing.

    X9 LC; Doesn't make sense yeah.

    Are they still spec-ing stupidly long stems and narrow bars?
    Completely agree.

    My formula RX/R1 brakes are much much better than the XT brakes a tried on the HD demo bike. In fact I thought the XT brakes were not even very good. Perhaps a set up issue but I almost binned it on the first steep bend!!

  6. #6
    Too Much Fun
    Reputation: benja55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    2,003

    Cost / Benefit

    Quote Originally Posted by simenf View Post
    XT: why go for anything else than the XT 785 brakes? They get rave reviews and are probably cheaper when bought in an XT group rather than adding the Formula RX0 later.
    The XT brakes are most likely just more expensive, even when done as part of a kit. They are not cheap brakes. I don't run either (Magura MT6 FTW!) but I've certainly felt both XTs and Fomulas set up very nicely.

    If Ibis was buying tons of complete, full kits from Shimano they might have had a price point that works, but I'd bet it's just less expensive to go with Formulas when doing incomplete or mixed kits at their volume.

    Regardless, the Formulas are nice brakes.
    - -benja- -

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Tim-H's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,032
    Quote Originally Posted by Iwan View Post
    Are they still spec-ing stupidly long stems and narrow bars?
    The stems I can agree with you on, they really are more of an XC length. The bar width is fine though IMO. 710mm isn't narrow by any means. Even 680mm isn't "narrow" unless you're riding purely downhill with no trees.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    318
    The SRAM kits lists a Float 34 on the build kit. Isn't that a 29er fork?

    Ibis, if you read this, can you please put it in the spec when something is an OEM component? I was more than a bit disappointed when the Lyrik I got with the X9 kit was an OEM model.
    Correct number of bikes: n+1 bikes
    Correct body weight: m-10 pounds

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: olijay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    365
    My Ibis-built Arch wheelset is quite lovely on my Mojo SL, I can see why you would want Flows for peace of mind but in practice it's not a big issue. It is a bit silly that they are not using Arch EX rims though, they are better at the same price as the old Archs.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,576
    Quote Originally Posted by olijay View Post
    My Ibis-built Arch wheelset is quite lovely on my Mojo SL, I can see why you would want Flows for peace of mind but in practice it's not a big issue. It is a bit silly that they are not using Arch EX rims though, they are better at the same price as the old Archs.

    I agree with you Ibis /Arch are nice.
    Well, the Arch & Arch EX are not exactly the same price, according to the notubes.com
    ZTR Arch $ 60
    ZTR Arch Ex $ 88
    ZTR Flow $ 90
    ZTR Crest $ 85

  11. #11
    I need a new name
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    870
    My guess is they had bought lots of Arch rims before the Arch EX was available. Once that stock runs out we may see the Arch EX used instead.
    i ride bikes

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: olijay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    365
    Quote Originally Posted by the last biker View Post
    I agree with you Ibis /Arch are nice.
    Well, the Arch & Arch EX are not exactly the same price, according to the notubes.com
    ZTR Arch $ 60
    ZTR Arch Ex $ 88
    ZTR Flow $ 90
    ZTR Crest $ 85
    Maybe they are clearing out old stock...
    Oh, well I shouldn't blab about stuff I don't know about

    I'd think that the Arch EX would be pretty much perfect for a Mojo SL/SL-R, light trail rim and the Flow would be perfect for a Mojo HD. Most HD builds from Ibis spec the Flows. I don't know what all the hubbub is about being upset about Ibis' builds.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    79
    A little off topic, but the Flow EX rim just became available. Beefier than the Flow - 3mm increase in internal width (up to 25.5mm), 1 mm increase in external width, and just 20 grams heavier. All the info on notubes.com. Will be a great rim for big tires.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •