mtbr member
    Aug 2011

2012 Mojo Sl: possibly a cracking rear triangle?

So today I did a pre-ride,(2 days before race day). Came home, cleaned the bike. Upon cleaning the rear triangle I saw a hairline crack on the left side. I hope it's ok to race the bike this saturday. And to top it off my XT shadow+ is binding/creaking preventing tension to the upper and lower chain.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2012 Mojo Sl: possibly a cracking rear triangle?-20130502_212741.jpg  

2012 Mojo Sl: possibly a cracking rear triangle?-20130502_212622.jpg  

2012 Mojo Sl: possibly a cracking rear triangle?-20130502_212715.jpg  

mtbr member
    Looks like a crack based on the location and the way it spread. I'd do the coin tap test to see if the sound "dulls", if not it could be just paint. In that case I'd probably race it and call IBIS for guidance after. If it does change in tone, I wouldnt ride it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

what ? carbon fiber ? you dont say.

Quote Originally Posted by tw0leftskis View Post
    So today I did a pre-ride,(2 days before race day). Came home, cleaned the bike. Upon cleaning the rear triangle I saw a hairline crack on the left side. I hope it's ok to race the bike this saturday. And to top it off my XT shadow+ is binding/creaking preventing tension to the upper and lower chain.
    Vitalmtb just TESTED THE 2013 IBIS

Frame broke on the fist test ride ahahahahahah

Almost every day on this forum

Frame breaks. All carbon.

And not cheap bike.

When willl people learn ????????

carbon fiber and mountain bikes are like oil and water.

Im realy sorry man, truely. But you were warned.

Maybe use carbon for a tour de france but not a fs mtb.

Im adding this to my list of failed mtb frames made from this terrible material.

The bearings in these bikes should wear out before the frames fail. But.......

Chalk it up as another CARBON FAIL.

alloy FTW !

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mjs1231 View Post
    Im adding this to my list of failed mtb frames made from this terrible material.
    right, terrible material. good enough for the aerospace, military, and commercial aviation but bad for mountain biking? troll elsewhere buddy we're tired of hearing your crap.

to the OP - just give IBIS a call and consult with them, they'll take care of you.
    ride, eat, sleep, repeat

Dropshot Champ!

alloy FTW !
    tell that to the pile of broken alloy frames (road and mountain) that I have in my garage.

I go through 1-2 a year.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

lol

Quote Originally Posted by tdotrider View Post
    right, terrible material. good enough for the aerospace, military, and commercial aviation but bad for mountain biking? troll elsewhere buddy we're tired of hearing your crap.

to the OP - just give IBIS a call and consult with them, they'll take care of you.
    Wow cursing at other members is a bad idea. Don't hate the player, hate the game.

Im just pointing out all the cf frame failures and they are many.

Im not peraonaly attacking you or anyone else. This is a forum for discusion. And i am having a discusion. Im not promoting any kind of meterial.

Im juat saying hey, alot of cf mtb frames are failing. If you want to create a topic comparison of other materials and cf feel free.

I think the consumer would benefit greatly from that comparison. You seem pretty pasionate about it so why not do some comparisons, it would be good forevery rider right ?

I understand the gram finatics are a dime a dozen, maybe your comparison could help them ride safer, longer. Or do you not care about the riders and just want to promote cf ?

Go ahead and link me over to your discusion on the topic. I would love to see what others think.

Have a great day.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    You should ride steele frames then, keep you riding longer and safer.

meh
    Someone sounds jealous they don't have a CF bike. Must suck being so hung up on other peoples possessions.

workin' it Administrator
    Vitalmtb just TESTED THE 2013 IBIS

Frame broke on the fist test ride ahahahahahah

Almost every day on this forum

Frame breaks. All carbon.

And not cheap bike.

When willl people learn ????????

carbon fiber and mountain bikes are like oil and water.

Im realy sorry man, truely. But you were warned.

Maybe use carbon for a tour de france but not a fs mtb.

The bearings in these bikes should wear out before the frames fail. But.......

Chalk it up as another CARBON FAIL.

alloy FTW !
    enough with the carbon rhetoric. Stick to what you know which judging by your post history and reputation level isn't a lot or you can take a nice vacation from MTBR. Consider this your warning.
    Try this: HTFU

Dropshot Champ!
    edit: guess you're not allowed to post anymore. So maybe you should go ride your bike

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Oh mjs1231....

"Im just pointing out all the cf frame failures and they are many."

Actually, if you read the article you'll see Scott says the failure rate is less than 1%.

All things fail. Regardless of how good the design is, how strong the material, there will always be a failure rate. You just need to minimize the failure rate by going for a good design and choosing the best materials. This is where a frame like an Ibis differentiates from a cheap carbon frame you might find on Ebay from overseas. Not all carbon frames are alike!

But since you seem to deny logic and common sense, I'll try to appeal to you with actual test results. (Not even Ibis so you can't claim a bias here)

Santa Cruz Aluminum versus Carbon Fiber Drop Test @ Pinkbike

JRA Impact test. Again, it was aluminum v.s. carbon in a battle of who could take more abuse before becoming unrideable. Up first was a gloss lime aluminum Nomad front triangle that took its first impact from a height of 350mm, a collision that made some noise, but didn't seem to cause any visible damage. The same weight was then dropped from 400mm, but it wasn't until the height reached 450mm that we saw the front triangle begin to fold just behind the head tube. Next up, another Nomad Carbon, this time Sven Martin's personal frame that, prior to us deliberately trying to break it, spent much of its life travelling the world under the ex-pro WC downhiller. Yeah, it has already had a tough life, but its time had come. Graney is well aware that the Nomad Carbon far exceeds the aluminum version in strength, but it was only fair to replicate the exact testing. Six drops later and he was letting the weight fall from 900mm, twice the height that damaged the aluminum Nomad, with Sven's old frame shrugging it off easily.

With that said, we all realize you're not a fan of carbon fiber mjs1231. You've made it clear so you don't need to keep posting about it here. If you want to talk about riding or have any questions on Ibis, feel free to look around and get comfortable. However, if you're just here to troll please move along to another forum. BTW, I hear Trek, Specialized, Cannondale, Giant, and a ton of other bike companies have carbon bikes and dedicated forums here. Maybe you can find a home there?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Hey tw0leftskis,

Send us a email either to Warranty@ibiscycles or Todd@ibiscycles.com and we will get you taken care of.

Best, Todd
    Todd
    Ibis Cycles, Inc.

mtbr member
    Rockcrusher, please ban him. I will send you a free lunch anywhere in the world where you live. PLEASE!
    Last edited by mazspeed; 05-03-2013 at 10:42 AM.

mtbr member
    Wow cursing at other members is a bad idea. Don't hate the player, hate the game.

Im just pointing out all the cf frame failures and they are many.

Im not peraonaly attacking you or anyone else. This is a forum for discusion. And i am having a discusion. Im not promoting any kind of meterial.

Im juat saying hey, alot of cf mtb frames are failing. If you want to create a topic comparison of other materials and cf feel free.

I think the consumer would benefit greatly from that comparison. You seem pretty pasionate about it so why not do some comparisons, it would be good forevery rider right ?

I understand the gram finatics are a dime a dozen, maybe your comparison could help them ride safer, longer. Or do you not care about the riders and just want to promote cf ?

Go ahead and link me over to your discusion on the topic. I would love to see what others think.

Have a great day.
    I see that reading is not your thing is it? Can't or won't either way it's your downfall. I don't see him cussing at you, but I would. All you do is promote any other material other than carbon fiber, so yes, you're promoting other materials. I told you in another forum that you have no idea what you're talking about. Aluminum fails at a much faster rate than carbon does, and if you had a brain and looked around the forums, you will see broken Al frames. No material is perfect, but CF is closer than the rest at this point in time. By the way, to my knowledge no one makes "steel" frames in mt biking. Titanium is an alloy before you open your piehole and spout off another inaccuracy. Know what you're talking about. If Carbon is so bad, why are almost all the bike manufactures going to it? Just think, when you save your pennies from the donut shop you work at, you might save enough to fly in a carbon fiber plane. The military uses it, aerospace uses it, high end auto industry uses it, and the biking industry uses it. I trust them before I trust some dbag who doesn't know what the hell he is talking about. The dbag in question is you in case you didn't get my point.
    Last edited by mazspeed; 05-03-2013 at 10:51 AM.

Dropshot Champ!
    Quote Originally Posted by mazspeed View Post
    By the way, to my knowledge no one makes "steel" frames in mt biking.
    agreed with everything but this.

There are alot of people who make and ride steel mountain bike frames. Most are awesome too. Not as awesome as an ibis mojo though

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by redmr2_man View Post
    agreed with everything but this.

There are alot of people who make and ride steel mountain bike frames. Most are awesome too. Not as awesome as an ibis mojo though
    A steel one? A full suspension bike at this level? Who does that? I have not seen one before, and most importantly why? One would think it would be a bit heavy and not as fun to ride. I was a bit hesitant at first with carbon fiber, but after beating on my HD, there is no way in hell I would ever get an aluminum frame again. Not because I think Carbon is so much stronger, (it is) but it rides SO MUCH BETTER.

Dropshot Champ!
    I was speaking in general, there are steel mtn bike frames.

But yes, there are full susp steel mtn bike frames also

mtbr member
    Which ones, I don't need a list or anything, just want to check a few out. Kind of interesting. Thanks, you learn something new everyday.

Dropshot Champ!
    Bicycle Fabrications | USA-made competition mountain bikes

the pocket rocket is actually a fun build, but most of their press comes from the dh bike. I think Phil from RideSFO is on one, if you're a bay area/norcal local. I spun it around the shop earlier this year.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by redmr2_man View Post
    Bicycle Fabrications | USA-made competition mountain bikes

the pocket rocket is actually a fun build, but most of their press comes from the dh bike. I think Phil from RideSFO is on one, if you're a bay area/norcal local. I spun it around the shop earlier this year.
    Cool looking bike, but 7.2 pounds for a 4 inch bike is really heavy. I would be curious on long term durability as well, but a 4 inch might not be too bad. I would give it a ride, would like to see how it handles. Thanks for the link Red.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Thank you. A big shout out to ibis bikes and shimano(irvine,ca) for your huge support and outstanding customer support. I don't know of any bike company manufacturer monitor the forum and when a problem arises Todd from ibis bikes reached to me first and offer support. Thank you again to Ibis and shimano.
    Last edited by tw0leftskis; 05-03-2013 at 12:01 PM.