mtbr member

2012 HD frame price increase?

So I just noticed on the Ibis website that 2012 frames are going for $2699 from $2499 just the other week. Any structural changes to the frame like when they went to 142x12 rear and corresponding $100 upcharge last summer or is this a price hike on frames with no changes? Was really interested in buying the frame this year, but at $2699 w/underwelming shock (RP23), think that has me priced out now.
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    $200 has priced you out of a $2,500 or $2,700 frame?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ruri View Post
    $200 has priced you out of a $2,500 or $2,700 frame?
    Yep, as crazy as it sounds, we all have are budgets and limits. Mine just happens to be in the low two's (definitely <$2500 total) for a new frame. LBS was going to let me buy the frame sans shock for a few hundred less ($2200 before price increase since I have a couple of good 8.5x2.5" shocks lying around). Not super stoked to buy a new frame already as I bought a new bike early last year that I have broke a few times now that has dampened the value/performance to me some. There are always extra costs when building a bike up from pre-existing ride and nearing $3k for new frame is just too much for this kid with not deep pockets after feeding the family.
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jgusta View Post
    ?.............. not deep pockets after feeding the family.
    Latrell Spreewell is that you?

mtbr member
    Yep, as crazy as it sounds, we all have are budgets and limits. Mine just happens to be in the low two's (definitely <$2500 total) for a new frame. LBS was going to let me buy the frame sans shock for a few hundred less ($2200 before price increase since I have a couple of good 8.5x2.5" shocks lying around). Not super stoked to buy a new frame already as I bought a new bike early last year that I have broke a few times now that has dampened the value/performance to me some. There are always extra costs when building a bike up from pre-existing ride and nearing $3k for new frame is just too much for this kid with not deep pockets after feeding the family.
    Find a 2011 new Ibis frame or a 2012 frame. Tons of them online and you will still get Ibis's incredible customer support that is second to none. As far as I have heard, nothing is new with the frame, everything I believe is the same. Not only this, but you should be able to get better deals on a 11-12 frame.

mtbr member
    u can try Kara at bikeco, thats where i bought mine 2012 HD frame last year for $2,200 new (plus shipping and guard)
    HuRa
    architecture and interior design
    website facebook

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mazspeed View Post
    Find a 2011 new Ibis frame or a 2012 frame. Tons of them online and you will still get Ibis's incredible customer support that is second to none. As far as I have heard, nothing is new with the frame, everything I believe is the same. Not only this, but you should be able to get better deals on a 11-12 frame.
    Good point and what I'll have to do on older 2012 frame for the 142x12 rear of course.

Thx!
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ginko View Post
    Latrell Spreewell is that you?
    LOL..minus the corn rose dread locks of course.
    Ride On!

aka dan51
    Good point and what I'll have to do on older 2012 frame for the 142x12 rear of course.

Thx!
    You don't NEED a 142x12. I don't think it's any stronger than a 135x12. The advantage comes in that extra 7mm being a dropout making getting the rear wheel on easier. 135 can be a PITA, but once the wheel is on there likely is no difference.

A more important difference is getting a frame with the indent by the front der so it can accommodate slightly taller tires.
    Those who know, ride a Mojo AND a Mojo HD.
    Quadzilla
    Quote Originally Posted by benja55
    Ok, whatever, cold water on my bike boner right there.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by d-bug View Post
    You don't NEED a 142x12. I don't think it's any stronger than a 135x12. The advantage comes in that extra 7mm being a dropout making getting the rear wheel on easier. 135 can be a PITA, but once the wheel is on there likely is no difference.

A more important difference is getting a frame with the indent by the front der so it can accommodate slightly taller tires.
    I agree with this as well as I noticed a slight increase (if any) going 135x10 thru bolt Hadley wheel to 142x12 QR. I imagine 135x12 vs 142x12 isn't noticeable in stiffness comparison at all. Just prefer the 142x12 due to current wheel set-up. Thanks for the info about the indent on frame, definitely good to now .
    Ride On!