mtbr member
    Oct 2006

2010 RP23 vs older RP23

Any thoughts/experience on the 2010 RP23 vs. earlier RP23's? I had my older (2008) RP23 Pushed and it still never feels right - with 30% sag I almost never bottom out, even when I slow rebound down I rarely come close (I know where the bottom is, about 3 mm before end of stanchion.)

thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Mine came with a medium compression tune RP23. I just got a 2010 RP23 with the low compression tune and boost valve. I haven't put it on the bike and ridden in yet, so I'll have to get back to you and let you know how it goes...

There was a post awhile ago by Yody, and he didn't like the BV RP23. If I remember right, he ended up sending his shock to Push, and they actually remove the BV component of the newer RP23s when they re-tune the shock. So he essentially made his shock the equivalent of the one you have (Push'd, that is).

I'm surprised your shock doesn't feel right after getting it Push'd. It makes me wonder what specifics you gave them about your riding style and what you wanted out of the shock before they re-tuned it. How does the overall ride compare after having the service done?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I found his post for you:

Boost Valve RP23

mtbr member
    Give PUSH a call and discuss your concerns about the shock. PUSH has a great reputation for good customer service, so I'd give them a chance to help before buying another shock.

bike rider
    In 2008 Mojos came with medium compression tune shocks. For 2009 they switched to low compression tune and everyone agrees that they suit the Mojo better. They will also allow you to get full travel, I do with 25% sag. Fox can change the tune for you or Push can custom tune it. Besides getting full travel you'll notice a more plush feel and be inclined to use ProPedal more often.
    Keep the Country country.

www.derbyrims.com
    Quote Originally Posted by disjointed
    Give PUSH a call and discuss your concerns about the shock. PUSH has a great reputation for good customer service, so I'd give them a chance to help before buying another shock.
    Yes call Push (email is rarely answered). They improved their Mojo shock tuning after 2008, after they spent time owning and riding their own Mojo during the previous year.

My shock's 2009 $100 re-tune was noticeably better than the first 2008 tune done in late spring.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I had 2 identical shocks Pushed - the first was better for what reasons I don't know. I gave them same info both times. The RP23-BV seems to be getting rave reviews in magazines. Having the RP23 Pushed does end the "lock-out" which Push doesn't tell you, btw. Not that with a Mojo I need it much, but I do miss it on long climbs.

mtbr member
    Depends on how push tunes it, if you want it ultra plush the PP won't do much (its never supposed to lock out on a rp23) but if you tell them you want the PP to still be effective they can tune it that way as well.

mtbr member
    My '08 RP23 that was pushed in '09 is very supple and gives full travel easily with 25% sag.

Unpredictable
    I never paid any attention to my RP23 as it always worked well. It was bought in Australia in 2007. I just noticed last weekend it is a high compression tune! Plush, bottoms a little too easy if anything, but is overall far better than the 32 TALAS on the front. So now I am confused.

mtbr member
    Send it to push, you don't even know what you're missing

mtbr member

Difficult decision

As finally I pulled the trigger for a Mojo Carbon pls let me revive the thread
    I get my 08 frame kit with 08 RP23 shock (med. compression I presume) but also available will be RP23 Model 2010 at no extra expenses.
    I'm 210 and prefer a firm ride with not much bob.
    Should I better choose the med compression 08? After reading all the posts in here I'm unsecure if the low compressioned one will let me have a marsh mellow feeling on the bike.

Pls excuse my bad writing - I'm "germish"

bike rider
    Quote Originally Posted by JockHH
    I'm 210 and prefer a firm ride with not much bob.
    By the end of the stroke the position sensitive damping of the Boost Valve equipped 2010 Low Tune shock should feel about the same as the 2008. In the first 2/3 of travel it will feel softer. You sound like you might prefer the support and reduced bob of the Medium Tune shock but you will be giving up plushness over small to medium bumps.

mtbr member
    Thanks for yr promt reply Leland,
    maybe go for the 2010 version first? If the ride turns out too mushy for my weight,
    there should not be a problem to find some lighter rider wanting to upgrade and exchange their 08.
    Is that the way to go? It's just I have to drive 250mls to the nearest ibis dealer (now that must be love..)

bike rider
    Sounds like a plan. Those who have tried both love the bump absorption of the Low Tune.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    you can run a bit more sag than 30. I frequently end up with 35 and a bit. My Push tune was done to specifically soften the small bump harshness and firm up the wallow in the mid esp if running a little softer. It has improved but not to the extent that it matches my custom valved van rc

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    JockHH, I had the same question as you and I ended up getting a low compression RP23. DW himself wrote about this in another thread awhile back. His quote is below. I don't have the link for the full thread, but I'm sure you can find it if you do a search.

From _dw:

"I don't know what all of this talk about high and medium compression is all about. For an RP23 on a Mojo, there is no reason to be running ANYTHING other than a low compression tune for the RP23. If you are on a medium or high compression shock then you are missing out on traction that you could have. Of course, its still going to be as good as any other bike running the medium and high tune, but don't you want to feel what its like to ride it as good as it can get?"