Thread: 2010 Mojo

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

2010 Mojo

Not sure why my previous post was removed - sorry if I put something up I wasn't supposed to. Regardless - after 20+ years of riding, I have to finally hang it up. Unfortunately, I just purchased my second MOJO (the first being a natural carbon 2007). If anyone is interested, would like additional details, etc....send me a PM. I did post a picture of the bike lower in the forum under the heading "New MOJO and ALAFIA".

Here are the specs:

MOJO (L) Guiness Foam (2010)
    FOX FLOAT32 RLC140 15QR (2010)
    FOX FLOAT RP23 w/ boost valve (2010)
    MAVIC CROSSMAX ST (2010)
    CANE CREEK IS110 BLUE (2010)
    CHRIS KING bottom bracket BLUE (2010)
    RACE FACE Next SL carbon riser (2010)
    RACE FACE DUES 90mm stem (2010)
    SRAM XO grip shift (2010)
    ODI lock on grips w/ BLUE rings (2009)
    AVID ULTIMATE CARBON brakes (2009)
    RACE FACE DUES XC cranks 175mm (2010)
    CRANK BROS. Candy SL BLACK (2010)
    BLUE SEATPOST COLLAR
    BLUE LOPES LINK
    BLUE LOWER LINK
    RACE FACE Next SL carbon seatpost (2009)
    SELLE ITALIA C2 BLACK saddle (2009)
    XO rear derailleur (2009)
    X9 front derailleur (2010)
    KMC gold chain (2009)
    JAGWIRE Blue derailleur cables (2010)
    KENDA Nevegal 2.3 front
    KENDA Small Block 2.1 rear

I have not even registered the frame yet. I have about 10 - 12 rides total. I used proper protection to minimize any cable rub. Thanks for the past 20 years of the greatest sport and lifestyle I have known.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    You need to buy an add in the classifieds or this post will probably be pulled also.

aka dan51
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike Poor
    You need to buy an add in the classifieds or this post will probably be pulled also.
    Yep.

Sucks that you have to leave the sport after getting such a nice rig.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    ...People thought they were getting a good fork because it was a "fox".

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    thanks for the info - i will add the post in the classifieds.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Yes, it does 'suck' - I really don't know what I am going to do now. I ride (or should say "rode") 3 - 5 times a week. I will not road ride and I don't have any other sports / hobbies. Not sure what to do......

Church of the Wheel
    Why must you give up MTBing, if you don't mind me asking?
    "I thought you'd never love me without my Mojo." -Austin Powers

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Lower back problems. Just got an MRI and have a hairline crack in one of my vertebrae. Have been having a constant dull pain in my lower back for about 3 months, I basically ignored it and kept riding. Doctor says the crack will heal; unfortunately, he also said I shouldn't do anything that will put an impact directly on my lower back.

Doctor said that realistically I could ride again, but I will most likely have recurring issues that may end up being much worse then they are now. Basically, it sucks!

aka dan51
    Quote Originally Posted by pono39
    Lower back problems. Just got an MRI and have a hairline crack in one of my vertebrae. Have been having a constant dull pain in my lower back for about 3 months, I basically ignored it and kept riding. Doctor says the crack will heal; unfortunately, he also said I shouldn't do anything that will put an impact directly on my lower back.

Doctor said that realistically I could ride again, but I will most likely have recurring issues that may end up being much worse then they are now. Basically, it sucks!
    I'd get a second opinion before giving up. While the doc may be right, he's also covering his a$$. If he tells you it's fine, but turns out it's not he's liable for something. So it's easiest to recommend being a couch potato. Which will lead to needing other medical attention for heart disease, high blood pressure, depression... which are easily "fixed" with pills these days.

Personally I would hold off on selling the bike for a while. Wait and see.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    ...People thought they were getting a good fork because it was a "fox".

Dropshot Champ!
    would love to take that frameset only off your hands if you ever decide to part and the price is right

Beautiful bike, I'm sorry you can't continue your passion. Sounds like you might be good in the long run, back pain is one of those scary things you really don't wanna mess with.

Good luck man!

Clyde

I had a lower back melt down 5 years ago. I have given up running, basketball and tennis. The pounding isn't worth it. Tennis is the worst twist, pound then lunge. But Mountain Biking keeps my back healthy and strong. It keeps me working out. It can be a little bit of a balancing act but IMO well worth it. Play to hard and you will pay for a few days. My body lets me know. I chill then until my back is 100%. I see doing nothing is a bigger threat to the health of your back. You need your back to be strong to keep your discs in place. I hike, walk, backpack, snowboard and mountain bike. I'm 2 years from 50.

Make sure your seat, stem and bars have you in a good riding position. Find some excises to keep you core strong and take 10 minutes out of each day to do them.

I have never fallen on my back. If I wreck I'm usually over my bars and down the trail 10 to 15 feet. Got to love the helmet, full finger gloves and the Knee pads. We have the best trails in the world here in Utah and they have no problem drawing blood.

Ride on
    Last edited by LuckySomer; 03-04-2010 at 10:43 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Thanks for the input and encouraging words. I ended up getting 3 doctors opinions because I didn't want to believe / accept any of them. I am almost 40, very healthy and never had any previous issues. Scary stuff! The last few times I rode, I was barely able to walk later that night. That's when I finally figured that I should probably see a doctor.

aka übermensch
    That's when I finally figured that I should probably see a doctor.
    Damn, that sucks to hear.
    08 Ibis Mojo SL
    09 Ibis Tranny SingleSpeed

Church of the Wheel
    Regrets, dude.

Still, I'd hold onto the Mojo, because medical technology advances, and you may be able to ride healthy and happy again one of these days. Keep the Mojo as a symbol that you haven't given up. And don't give up.
    "I thought you'd never love me without my Mojo." -Austin Powers

meh
    or a nice piece above the mantle?
    sucks tho man, sorry

Rides a Bike
    Hang your pride and joy on the wall for a few months and take up lap swimming to maintain your cardio fitness and strength. Swim often enough and you may also find that your core strength will improve dramatically and see you better placed to launch back onto the bike at a later date...

The bike on the wall satisfies both an aesthetic and motivational purpose.

mend well
    Al
    Frameskin™ Bike Protection Film
    Protect your plaything!
    www.frameskin.com
    Supporting Kowalski Brothers Trailworks

MountainGoat aka OldGoat
    Bro that sucks!!! Check this guy out at http://www.seasidechiro.com/ Dr Greathouse kept me on my mountain bike. He is also a MTBR and his practice is not like most bone crackers. If you're not near San Clamente CA he might know someone in your area that works like he does. Hope this helps. Best of luck Don't sell the bike!!
    Vote with your feet.
    No bike is perfect!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I also get low back pain from a weekend of hard riding. My cure now is the Monday evening Yoga class. It seems to work every time.

After a couple of years serious mtb rides, I am in a better shape than 10 -15 years ago. One year from 50, but I beat out others among my riding buddies who are 10+ years younger. Life would be really dull for me without riding my Mojo.

It does suck for you to sell the Mojo.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dan51
    I'd get a second opinion before giving up. While the doc may be right, he's also covering his a$$. If he tells you it's fine, but turns out it's not he's liable for something. So it's easiest to recommend being a couch potato. Which will lead to needing other medical attention for heart disease, high blood pressure, depression... which are easily "fixed" with pills these days.

Personally I would hold off on selling the bike for a while. Wait and see.
    +1

H
    Hans
    Ibis Cycles, Inc.

Ride More Work Less
    Jun 2006
    I don't understand why you won't be able to ride again once you let it heal properly. I try not to think about the day when this all ends for me for whatever the reason, but sometimes I do. I'll be 50 this year and plan to ride forever...

Stucco Bucket
    What are you asking for it? your build is very similar to the one Im finishing

Too Much Fun
    Quote Originally Posted by dan51
    I'd get a second opinion before giving up.
    Absolutely get a second opinion. Back problems are one of the most notoriously misdiagnosed and mistreated health issues. If you look around online you'll find some truly horrifying stats on how many back surgeries are done that have basically the same success rate as plain old rest. Obviously there are success stories too, but as my orthopedic surgeon father in law tells me... IF you get cut open there's a 100% chance something MIGHT go wrong versus 0% if you try rest...
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

another case

A friend of mine was hit from behind while riding his motorcycle at 60 mph by a car going 90. He was drug under the car for 300 feet as his HELMET kept the car from crushing him. The car had 4.3" of ground clearance and his helmet was a high end very strong one about 9" across. It ground down almost to his face. Hit and run.. They left him for dead on the side of the road. Nice eh?

His back was really messed up with a cracked vertebra, and twisted way out of whack. Of course he had numerous other serious injuries as well... Still, maybe the luckiest guy in the world getting out of that one alive...

OK, here's the deal.. He wasn't able to ride for initially because his back needed to be pretty still for a while, legs were very beat up, torn ligaments etc., but he started by riding his Mojo easy on the road (smooth surfaces + suspension and higher bar position) after a month or two. The increased circulation helps you heal. He also increased his core strength to help support his back.

Now it's about 6 or 7 months later and he is riding 3 times a week on real rides and doing much better. Riding is an important contributor to his quality of life and supports the healing process.

I can't make recommendations for your situation, but do suggest that you get more info as not riding might be worse for you if you know what I mean.

By the way, they caught the guy who hit him and it remains to be seen what will happen with him being held accountable.

H
    Hans
    Ibis Cycles, Inc.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Responses like this are why Ibis will be getting my money when I buy a new bike/frame.

In theory, Ibis already got this guy's money since he already owns a Mojo. However, you have Hans in the forum urging this guy to keep riding (and giving legitimate reasons why).

Companies like this are great for this sport!

+1 on people who encourage you to keep riding pono39

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I have had 3 compression fractures in my back, L1, T5 and T7 and I have a fused C5/C6 in my neck.
    Lots of rehab, but I am still riding my Mojo pretty hard.
    Investigate this issue before you give up the best bike out there.
    Good luck

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by the_owl
    What are you asking for it? your build is very similar to the one Im finishing
    keep still, we're trying to get him to keep the damn thing