mtbr member
    Feb 2007

2001 Ripley w/ longer travel fork - will it work?

I'm considering putting a longer travel fork (5" travel) on my 2001 Ripley. Does anyone have any experience with doing this? I'm looking for some advice as to the pros and cons on how it will affect the bike performance.

www.derbyrims.com
    The frame angles will be almost 2 degrees slacker, about 69/75. So it will have a floppy steering feel, and be much slower turning which is OK, even better for faster or steeper downhill, but if you climb at all it will take more effort to control your line, and be more wobbly holding a line on twisty single track.

You could push your seat forward about an inch and raise it almost half as much to keep your fit and balance over the pedals. You will have a shorter reach to the bars, better for downhill, worse for climbing. Maybe leave it slack for just stunting and downhill, standing for short climbs.

The higher bottom bracket would have better pedaling clearance, but be a bit slower handling in addition to the slower steering.

I'd worry about breaking it if it was mine. Although temping, jumping it would be pretty dangerous of sudden collapse due to a lightweight frame plus adding greater fork leverage stressing it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Thanks Derby. That is all I needed to here. I have no desire to even think about breaking it, so, I'm not going to attempt the longer travel fork.