gravity curmudgeon

2 mojo questions: smaller rider and demo

My wife is attending a women's gathering in the Bay area around the weekend of April 12-13. They have group rides and skills clinics led by women pros. She goes every year and always has a fun time.

She currently rides a small blur xc. She is 5'5" and 115lbs. She likes the standover, short top tube (prefers a more upright position), and zippy ride characteristics of the blur. I assume a small mojo would be a good fit for her but thought I would ask.

Second, anyone know of a place in the Bay area where she could get a reasonably well spec'd small mojo demo for a couple of days? She wants to take her bike with her, but I think she would have a lot of fun on a mojo demo. I think she will be staying in Berkeley.

My interest is in seeing her have a bike that climbs as well as her blur xc but gives her a little more for descents. We ride a lot and have plenty of technical trails. She is a solid and steady rider but often chooses to walk the more gnar, gnar technical sections (as do many guys I know too). I think a bike like the mojo would really help her to gain confidence and take on some of the more challenging sections. I am also sick of replacing blur lower pivot bearings all the time.

Thanks.

Founder: Dirty3hirties
    If you're going to be in Berkeley, Wrench Science is in Emeryville I believe. Don't know about costs of demos or what's available, but you might want to check them out.

www.derbyrims.com
    Quote Originally Posted by ddraewwg
    If you're going to be in Berkeley, Wrench Science is in Emeryville I believe. Don't know about costs of demos or what's available, but you might want to check them out.
    Yes, Emeryville is right next to Berkeley within a few miles from the center of Berkeley.

I think WS is actually in Berkeley near San Pablo Blvd. and Ashby? (It's been a while since I visited there.) Anyway very close by.

Edit: A small size would probably fit. And if not available to demo she could probaly ride a medium a little streatched out or with a short stem. WS is very good at fitting riders.

mtbr member
    I'm 5' 5" and ride a small with a 90mm stem. It fits perfectly.

gravity curmudgeon
    Thanks all. I sent an inquiry email to wrenchscience.

I think the frame would have to be a small.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by cowdog
    I am also sick of replacing blur lower pivot bearings all the time.

Thanks.
    She will probably love the ride. My wife rides a small blur and loves the Moj.
    Note, (if you do it) quit spraying the bike with a hose if you don't want to replace bearings anymore. Currently 4 years on current bearings on 2 different Blurs, just sweep out the dirt and mud that collects back there, no car washs or hoses, damp cloth, it's a mountain bike. Sc I think offers free bearings for life now I beleive, correct me on this. (So not a revenue "stream" for them anymore.)
    If u can't resist then, there are bearings for Blur now with zerks and that will help some of the water fouling.

gravity curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by glovemtb
    She will probably love the ride. My wife rides a small blur and loves the Moj.
    Note, (if you do it) quit spraying the bike with a hose if you don't want to replace bearings anymore. Currently 4 years on current bearings on 2 different Blurs, just sweep out the dirt and mud that collects back there, no car washs or hoses, damp cloth, it's a mountain bike. Sc I think offers free bearings for life now I beleive, correct me on this. (So not a revenue "stream" for them anymore.)
    If u can't resist then, there are bearings for Blur now with zerks and that will help some of the water fouling.
    We've had 2 blurs and don't hose them down. We're good about that. We have a whole set of brushes. I've gotten 2 sets of free bearings from SC so far for her blur xc. They did change to a new bearing and seal last year, so I'll see what they look like when I grease them up for her to start this season. It is only the lower pivots that have had problems. I know some people have not had problems with blur pivots. We have. Maybe SW Montana is just hard on VPP pivots. A typical ride here can have extreme dry conditions and extreme wet muddy conditions on the same trail on the same day. I don't know. I went to a Turner with bushings and grease ports. Rock solid.

Yeah, from what I read, I think she will really enjoy a mojo. Hopefully she can find one to demo ride.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I am also 5' 5" and ride a small with a 90 stem. I wouldn't advise putting her on a medium especially if you are trying to give her more confidence on the descents. The bigger bike I think would pretty much negate the descending advantages the mojo has over the blur. Also I used to work at a shop and we weren't even a SC dealer and I have replaced tons of blur pivot bearings. Even on bikes that aren't ridden hard and are properly stored and maintained. Looks like the new Blur LT has had some significant time and thought dedicated to it's pivots, and apparently for good reason...

gravity curmudgeon
    Wrenchscience does not have a small mojo demo. Shucks.

HMFIC
    Apr 2007

Bay Area Ibis Dealers

You might check with Bike Nut in San Francisco or Trailhead Cycles in San Jose. They are a little bit of a drive from Berkley, but both are top notch Ibis dealers in the Bay Area.

www.derbyrims.com
    Quote Originally Posted by yellow dog
    You might check with Bike Nut in San Francisco or Trailhead Cycles in San Jose. They are a little bit of a drive from Berkley, but both are top notch Ibis dealers in the Bay Area.
    Also check Paradigm bikes in San Anselmo, in Marin. They are about 30 minutes taking 580 HWY west from Berkeley. Pick up a Joe Breeze map of Marin bicycle trails and go ride nearby "where mountain biking was born".

I'd be glad to meet you in Marin if I can and ride. PM me.

gravity curmudgeon
    Thanks for all the help - friendly group here. She is just going to take her bike - one she knows well. Her bike will go right to a team mechanic, so she won't have to fuss with it. Since she is flying in and using public transportation, she will have limited options for getting other bikes.

Derby, sadly I won't be on this trip. I'll be back here in cold, snowy Montana. But sometime I'll get out that way and would love to ride.

The next opportunity for Julie is the end of April at the FFTF. We've been going to Fruita to ride for a long time, since before the first FFTF. It sounds like OTE might have some mojo demos. That will probably be the best option for her to kick the tires.

mtbr member
    May 2007

Wife's Mojo

My wife loved her Blur, but she really loves her small Mojo. She's just under 5'4". Built it last summer and has been to Las Vegas, St. George, Switzerland, France and riding all our great trails in Idaho. Leave for Moab this morning and then to Fruita until April 22nd. She doesn't race, just loves the trail riding. If you're going to be in Fruita early, get in touch. She really loves the standover. We have long steep climbs and it works great for her although I might put a 90mm stem on after reading some of this. I think her's now is a 100 or even 110.