mtbr member
    May 2011

2.1 Tires on Mojo HD

I ride with some serious hammer head XC'rs and was thinking of going to a 2.1 Weirwolf on my HD for a little less rolling resistance and weight. I still want to hammer down hills too....within reason. Currently I run 2.3 Weirwolfs and really like them.

Anyone run a 2.1 on theire HD? Weirwolf 2.1?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    not a real tire expert, but the weirwolf 2.3 is a very heavy tire, and not particularly fast. I enjoyed the ride too, but felt like I pulled the anchor up when I went back to schwalbes of similar width, NN in particular. you could probably keep width and get the results you want with a different tire choice, or if rolling resistance and weight are key concerns a 2.25 NN/RR combo is really good IMO.

Too Much Fun

I love my NN's!

Quote Originally Posted by mikemikemike View Post
    if rolling resistance and weight are key concerns a 2.25 NN/RR combo is really good IMO.
    I haven't tried the RR's but the Nics are my current fave tire for all-around riding up here in OR and Norcal. I'm running NN's front and rear on my HD 160 and LOVE it.
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I agree - I've got NN 2.4's on my HD.

I found the Hans Dampfs grippier esp in rough terrain, but slower rolling. I would try HD/NN combination if they made a 2.35 NN with snakeskin.

RR's are faster rolling, with similar side knobs to the HDs, and I enjoyed them on the rear on my SL.

Quote Originally Posted by benja55 View Post
    I haven't tried the RR's but the Nics are my current fave tire for all-around riding up here in OR and Norcal. I'm running NN's front and rear on my HD 160 and LOVE it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Try the ExiWolf 2.1 Race. Great tire with low rolling resistance

Dropshot Champ!
    toss an ikon 2.2 out back. fantastic rear tire to keep up with xc hammerheads..

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Screw that, take them on some downhill runs and have them buying 2.5's by tomorrow!!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Thanks for the input.......I just mountes a couple 2.1 TCS Weirwolfs. I'll report how the feel after a few rides. They have a dual compound with harder in the center. Look a little smaller but have an aggressive look to them still.

I'll report how the feel after a few rides.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by wakebrdr142 View Post
    Screw that, take them on some downhill runs and have them buying 2.5's by tomorrow!!
    Funny, I have done that! Unfortunately keeping up on the climbs is at the beginning.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    The 2.1's feel pretty good. Rode on variety different surfaces and they gripped really well, just as well as the 2.3's. They pedaled nicer and I was moving along pretty good. Only negative is they are rougher on choppy dh so my arms took a beating on the way down.

So if you're looking for a grippy, faster, XC/AM tire then I would recommend them.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Well, I went back to 2.3's today. The 2.1's were lighter, easier on the brakes, etc...but I couldn't stand them on the downhills. I had them down belowe 30PSI and they still felt harsh. I'm now runnning the 2.3 Weirwolfs at 35 PSI; they're heavy, but feel sooo much better on the down.

Dropshot Champ!
    are you tubeless? thats a bunch more pressure than needed. I run 2.3 weirs around 25-29 depending on what/when/where riding. And I'm ~190

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by redmr2_man View Post
    are you tubeless? thats a bunch more pressure than needed. I run 2.3 weirs around 25-29 depending on what/when/where riding. And I'm ~190
    Yes they're TCS runnning tubeless. I'm 190 too, and find that 35PSI feels good. I find that any lower than 30PSI they don't bite as well in aggressive cornering.

Grab your tire at 25 PSI and try to flex it side to side on the rim, then do it at 30 and 35PSI and you will notice a significant decrease in side play.

Mind you I'm running 19mm rims.

Dropshot Champ!
    thats the nature of the beast with weirs. You've gotta commit and they'll hook. I'd at least try 31-32. Even there, you'll notice a good improvement. The tcs sidewall is pretty stiff, so you don't notice the side to side float you would with say, a normal tire converted to tubeless.

The increase in small bump compliance alone is worth it.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I understand how the Weirwolfs work, that's what I like about them.

I preferred my last set of 2.3's, UST, at 35. Since these are the TCS Inner Peace version, I'll try them at 30.

mtbr member
    Im running the 2.3tcs front and the 2.1 rear. Its a great combo. Like you said the only downfall of the 2.1 is not.much. volume so you have to be more.careful to avoid damaging the rim.

Oh and yeah, 19mm rims will roll the tire with low psi. But redmr2mans 30 psi migjt be your 35, cant trust pump guages

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Yody View Post
    . But redmr2mans 30 psi migjt be your 35, cant trust pump guages
    True that....ultimately it's how they perform.

Dropshot Champ!
    When I was about 195, and on 21 internal width dt 5.1's, I started experimenting with tire pressures on the 2.3 tcs up front. I was good from rim strikes down to 17psi, and it never rolled off the bead. While I wouldn't run it at 17...ever...25-30 felt really good and didn't give me any problems. These were converted wheels too, not a ust or tubeless ready wheelset.

I'd seriously try at least a little bit lower. The benefits are really there.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    For sure....I'll drop them to 30 and see on my next ride.

mtbr member
    Ive ran the ww2.3 low and high psi. Ive found oros n.cons with bith. I usually adjust it for where im.going to ride. With highet psi the Bike feels more certain. Less squirm, less rollypolly. The tread is already soft n squirmy as it is, the lower pressure magnifies that feeling. However with lower psi you get more conformity for rooty trails. Stays glued a little better. Pretty much like for any tire. Higher psi for fast riding, lower pressure for.lower speeds.